What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No they don't.

I've done some more googling and found what I believe is the culprit. The "Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar" service. It's been present since Windows 8, and it's Microsoft's implementation of WPS configuration for your access point from within Windows. Since disabling the service, no more random devices have popped up.

Some of the links I found with people who have the same issue as me, but on Windows 8:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1778660
http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/12630-someones-phone-connected-my-network-why-how.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/2c61616e-bcbc-4a7a-9a66-eab68fae84cd?page=3

I'm not sure what exactly causes the devices to show, maybe they are trying to connect to my network or maybe they are just in my area and Windows is able to discover them through the router with this WPS service.

None of these devices actually showed up in my routers logs at all, so I'm pretty confident my network is in fact secure. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully at the very least if anyone else faces this issue this post helps.

:) nice find.
seems as silly as the windows 10 feature to auto connect to wifi networks.

Time for the next release...the Anniversary Edition! This release marks the first release of the second year of work on this fork...how time flies when your are having fun! :)

LATEST RELEASE: Update-14
3-September-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-14j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
============================

Some of the improvements....

• Updated components OpenVPN, dnsmasq, dropbear, miniupnpd
  • Added IPSET support in dnsmasq
  • dnsmasq now provides caching for IPv6 DNS requests
  • Ability to change the gui http access port
  • Improved screening of router input fields for invalid characters
  • Improved readability of textblock input fields, such as in OpenVPN custom configs
  • QOS gui and useability improvements
  • New Stealth-LED power status only mode

And a few more...please take the time to read thru the first post for a complete list and some important notes on using some of the new features.

Enjoy!

Im on fork latest before this new 3 sep release. Just download, and Update ?, thats it or ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Really, REALLY fix setting TCP max connections following a factory reset
If we are upgrading from v13.1 to v14, do we need to factory reset to get the TCP Max Connections to read 300000?

If we are upgrading from v13.1 to v14, do we need to factory reset to get the TCP Max Connections to read 300000?
Or just change it manually before or after updating to your desired value. I was going to try and fix it automatically, but if you do a search on TCP max connections, there is some question as to what is the 'best value', and I didn't want to preclude any setting in the future.

EDIT: The same also goes for the very next value, the Timeout:Established on ARM routers. Asus changed the default, and it won't be updated unless a factory reset is done. Simpliest is just to manually change it.

Thanks for the question....I'll add some notes in the first post.

EDIT2: First post and README.pdf in download folder updated.

Last edited:
I am having trouble with batch files that previously worked to call scripts on the router (plink) or scripts on the local machine (putty). Has anyone else run into issues with this?
Commands like this-
plink -ssh yourrouter -P yourport -l username -pw password /jffs/scripts/somescript.sh

are no longer working. Run from the router the scripts work. Scripts on the router should be encoded in UTF-8 with unix eol, right?

I am having trouble with batch files that previously worked to call scripts on the router (plink) or scripts on the local machine (putty). Has anyone else run into issues with this?
Commands like this-
plink -ssh yourrouter -P yourport -l username -pw password /jffs/scripts/somescript.sh

are no longer working. Run from the router the scripts work. Scripts on the router should be encoded in UTF-8 with unix eol, right?
I implemented the run user scripts option from Merlin in this build (in case you have a script that causes the router to crash). If you did a factory reset, they are disabled. The option to turn them back on is on the Administration > System page.

EDIT: The system log will have entries saying that it found the script, but running them is disabled if this is the case.

Sweet! Thanks!

Wait... it was already enabled- did not start from scratch.

I am seeing the start for scripts in the log. But getting an error like-
/jffs/scripts/iptables.sh: line 7: iptables: not found

Maybe it's something to do with this particular script. Goofy but the script runs fine when ran from the router. It is only choking when called from plink. Calling the same script with putty is giving me the same result.

Went back to 13E1 and scripts are working normally called from putty and plink now.

Hmmm.....nothing changed that I can think of that would affect that. Only thing I can think of is that the image for the N66 grew by about 16K and maybe it changed the start of the jffs allocation. I'm not sure how the allocation exactly works, so maybe it changed without actually corrupting things.

One thing to try would be to back up your /jffs files, then reload V14, reformat jffs and restore the /jffs files.

Any other N66 users having a problem with scripts?

Backed up jffs, reloaded v14, reformatted jffs. Copied backed up jffs back to router. Now I can see the jffs files with ftp. I can see the files over samba. Putty into the router and there is nothing in /jffs/scripts/???

Weird.

I'm sitting here scratching my head....maybe a permissions problem?

Can you create new file in /jffs/scripts via the command line?
How did you backup /jffs? Did you move it off the router (as opposed to something like a USB stick on the router)?

I also am thinking something has gone awry with permissions somehow.

I moved the jffs off the router.

I can make a file on the router (using vi). Samba and FTP show all the files. SSH shows only the text file I just created. Overwriting the files from samba or FTP does not work (or copying from folder on usb attached to router which I just tried).

How to reset the permissions for /jffs through ssh? Maybe this will help.

Currently ssh claims permissions for the folders in /jffs are
drwxrwxrwx

in folder /jffs/scripts permissions for the text file I just made are
-rw-rw-rw-

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.....how about the owner name and group? That's what usually can get damaged in the moves. If you haven't changed the logon it should be 'admin' and 'root'.

I got the files copied over. I think some of the weird issue might have to do with a line in my jffs post-mount script-

mount --bind /jffs/ /tmp/mnt/myusb/jffs

but who knows? Things are working again back on 13e1 now so no worries. I may give 14 a shot again tomorrow.

Glad to hear you got things back up and running. So you are moving /jffs...I'll give that some thought....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!