What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The precise message is (my emphasis):
Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.
I guess the confusion is that the page doesn't refresh, you have to do it manually as suggested in the last sentence.

PS Wireless? Really? I'm using an Ethernet cable. :)

I guess the confusion is that the page doesn't refresh, you do it manually as suggested in the last sentence.
I'd love to rewrite that text...Unfortunately I don't speak 20ish languages :)
It really doesn't have anything to do with wireless. And you also get that page if the host address changes as well (leave the gui open and change from Ethernet to wireless connection or vice verse)

Sorry, this is another case of nothing changed that should affect minidlna. About the only thing I can think of, is that since it caused a reboot, the default is to initiate a rebuild of the dlna db (You can turn this off on the dlna setup page as an option on the fork). If you have a large amount of files, it can take a while and possibly affect playback. Or if there is a corrupted file, it could cause problems. I just checked playing a movie from my USB drive thru the Roku Media Player, and it worked fine.

As far as the N18, sorry, but I never got back to it, and don't think it's going to be something I end up doing.
First of all, Thanks for your reply! I found a weird thing in the WebUI showing my library as audio only (I had one folder and it was always video+audio). I rebuilt the db and everything seems fine again, but I'm still curious what could have happened.

Dumb question! I have my router set to log accepted packets. This is one of the rules in my iptables-
18 2260 406K logaccept all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

2,260 packets. None of them show up in my log. I have tried log level 6 and 8 (don't think that is it).

Where are these packets being logged, if anywhere?

Question about the GUI -- what is the significance of a yellow background on some fields? I especially notice it in the 5G portion of WiFi setup. Thanks!

Dumb question! I have my router set to log accepted packets. This is one of the rules in my iptables-
18 2260 406K logaccept all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

2,260 packets. None of them show up in my log. I have tried log level 6 and 8 (don't think that is it).

Where are these packets being logged, if anywhere?

Scroll down a bit in the iptables output....until you get to the logaccept chain. You'll see that the packets actually logged are filtered. You really don't want to log EVERY packet, do you? :)

Question about the GUI -- what is the significance of a yellow background on some fields? I especially notice it in the 5G portion of WiFi setup. Thanks!
Don't think I'm seeing what you see. The only yellow I see is the text associated with a couple of checkbox's and the power explanation on the Professional page. (same with both IE and FF). Are you seeing something different?

Sweet. There is the answer, man I have a lot to learn on iptables. The log rule looks like this-
1 2 88 LOG all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix `ACCEPT '

Not sure what that all means. Is there a resource that covers the iptables version/extensions for the N66U? I see lots of stuff online, but I think different versions keep me from getting a good grasp. iptables -h does not cut it here. ;)

Edit- I mean, I get the state part, the level part and the prefix part at the end of the rule, but what does the flags 7 mean? I can't even find any information on how one would make a rule with flags 7 in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think I'm seeing what you see. The only yellow I see is the text associated with a couple of checkbox's and the power explanation on the Professional page. (same with both IE and FF). Are you seeing something different?
Attached -- thank you!
YellowHighlights.jpg

Wow....definitely don't see that (or coded anything like that :) ). My first thought is are you using a password manager or auto-fill add-on that might be highlighting fields?
No pw manager and not an add-on, but it might be related to the remembered field values in Chrome. If I make a tiny change -- for example "beethoven_6G" -- the highlight disappears. But as soon as I re-enter "beethoven_5G" both the SSID and the password fields are highlighted again.

Confusing, however, is that the same effect is not visible on the 2.4G screen.

It also does not appear in Firefox, further supporting the "remembered" theory. Against that, however, I turned off autofill in the Chrome Advanced Settings and the highlight is still there.

I can live with it if I know it is not trying to alert me to something needing attention, but my curiosity persists.

Thank you!

It also does not appear in Firefox, further supporting the "remembered" theory. Against that, however, I turned off autofill in the Chrome Advanced Settings and the highlight is still there.
I did a little research, and there are actually pages of posts from web developers p*ssed off at Google for circumventing the normal ways to disable their autofill/autocomplete. There may be a fairly simply solution, however. When I get a free minute, I'll give it a try and make a test build for you to try.

Reactions: ika
No rush, John. A further hint: it seems partially related to disabling WPS. I wondered it it was a hint that I had left WPS enabled so I checked and it was not. But when I enabled it as a test, the highlight switched to the 2.4GHz page! I turned WPS off again and the highlight switched back to the 5G page.

John, just a general remark: I'm extremely grateful for your fork. I think I installed it about 6 months ago, ever since when the wifi in my house Just Works. Everything connects to my RT-N66U as fast as can be reasonably expected. (The mac mini I'm typing this at says its 450 mbps, and iperf to the router can send 170 mbps.) If my ISP screws up the internet, I can tell it's them. If my computer screws up its wifi, I'm pretty confident it's Apple. You've saved hours and hours (and hours) of my time. The router reboots itself about once a month, which could be anything.

It's not often stuff works so well. I'd like to subsidise your efforts. Do you have a paypal account?

After installing 14.1 from 13.1 (or whatever the last 13 version was), my TWC app on the Xbox 360's started buffering heavily and had poor video quality. At first, I assumed it was TWC's servers. After a week, I tried tweaking QoS rules to no success (actually, made it worse). I just reverted back to 13.1, changed my QoS back to what it was before tweaking and all is well again. Video no longer buffers and quality is back to outstanding.

Now I am assuming that the 13.1 did the trick but I didn't try rebooting the router again after updating it to 14.1 and I didn't do a NVRAM reset and manual re-entry. Regardless, thanks for the hard work and outstanding firmware John and Merlin (and anyone else who helps). I don't know the TWC app port so I couldn't tweak that in specific.

I didn't activate anything extra after updating (no QoS bufferbloat test, etc) so I'm not sure what changed. Speed tests show full speed ahead on both firmware versions.

After installing 14.1 from 13.1 (or whatever the last 13 version was), my TWC app on the Xbox 360's started buffering heavily and had poor video quality. At first, I assumed it was TWC's servers. After a week, I tried tweaking QoS rules to no success (actually, made it worse). I just reverted back to 13.1, changed my QoS back to what it was before tweaking and all is well again. Video no longer buffers and quality is back to outstanding.

Sorry you had a problem....I have been tweaking around the edges on the QoS , but hadn't seen any degradation on my end. If you care to try again at some point, try setting the new default setting for Default priority level to 'High' or 'Highest' and see if that makes a difference.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is the miniupnpd update (Xbox has been sensitive to upnp changes in the past).

I'll PM you with a test build with the older miniupnpd level and one other change that I'd like you to try if you can. Thanks.

I'll be happy to test for you. Oh, and absolutely no reason for you to apologize about anything. Your work is appreciated far more than you know!!! :)

Edit: RT-AC68U if that matters.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
I have installed this firmware for my router RT-AC68U. Now I would like to return to oiginal firmware. I tried to install the latest firmware from the ASUS website. The installation routine runs through. But it does not install the firmware. But it remains the Merlin exist. I do something wrong?

Thank you

Hello everybody,
I have installed this firmware for my router RT-AC68U. Now I would like to return to oiginal firmware. I tried to install the latest firmware from the ASUS website. The installation routine runs through. But it does not install the firmware. But it remains the Merlin exist. I do something wrong?

Thank you
Check on the Tools > Sysinfo page for the Bootloader (CFE) version. If it's 1.0.1.6, you need to load a code that will update the bootloader before loading any code above a 374 level. This can be either 376.3626 if using Asus factory code, or any Merlin 378 code release. After doing this, you'll be able to load any currently available code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!