What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,

Newbie to updating firmwares... used to do that on my old Linksys with hit and miss results so haven't attempted in a few years.

I have an Asus RT-N66U and I need a bit better 5GHz range, and to help with 2.4GHz sharing channels with dozen other nearby routers. Would this firmware help with either?

I am currently on Asus own Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.378_9459 . Which firmware version works on this? and how do I upgrade minimizing issues like locking up, etc...

Thanks

Hi all,

Newbie to updating firmwares... used to do that on my old Linksys with hit and miss results so haven't attempted in a few years.

I have an Asus RT-N66U and I need a bit better 5GHz range, and to help with 2.4GHz sharing channels with dozen other nearby routers. Would this firmware help with either?

I am currently on Asus own Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.378_9459 . Which firmware version works on this? and how do I upgrade minimizing issues like locking up, etc...

Thanks
A lot of N66 users feel Johns fork works the best for this model. The 374 code base has a super stable wifi driver apparently. Certainly worth a try. If you are using a simple configuration write down your particular settings so you can set them back up afterwards. More complex setup you may want to investigate using Johns NVRAM backup utility. Simply download the file and apply it then reset defaults and apply your settings written down earlier. Dont update to the latest ASUS stock version as they have stopped allowing downgrades to previous versions or 3rd party for now. That will be a 380.xxx something, If you do so you will be stuck at that version and unable to use any of the other versions you may want to try.

Last edited:
Dont update to the latest ASUS stock version as they have stopped allowing downgrades to previous versions or 3rd party for now. That will be a 380.xxx sosmething, If you do so you will be stuck at that version and unable to use any of the other versions you may want to try.

Thanks, didn't know this. I'm the adventurous type with firmwares so glad you said something. I'm torn between John's fork and Merlin's. I just tried Merlin's latest and I like the features but I also like stability, even though I didn't have an issue with it. It just seems lots of features implemented lately have a lot of people complaining about bugs. Does it seem that way to anyone else but in my short time on this forum, I don't recall so many complaints about bugs.

A lot of N66 users feel Johns fork works the best for this model. The 374 code base has a super stable wifi driver apparently. Certainly worth a try. If you are using a simple configuration write down your particular settings so you can set them back up afterwards. More complex setup you may want to investigate using Johns NVRAM backup utility. Simply download the file and apply it then reset defaults and apply your settings written down earlier. Dont update to the latest ASUS stock version as they have stopped allowing downgrades to previous versions or 3rd party for now. That will be a 380.xxx sosmething, If you do so you will be stuck at that version and unable to use any of the other versions you may want to try.
Sorry what ?

You can't downgrade anymore or change to Merlin or Johns firmware if you have installed stock 380.xx ?

Please confirm !

Sorry what ?

You can't downgrade anymore or change to Merlin or Johns firmware if you have installed stock 380.xx ?

Please confirm !

With this initial stab at locking the router, it is partially true (the gui cannot be used to roll back to any other version). However, for now, the asus recovery tool will work to go to a previous version.

No that's not true at the moment. But there will be an ASUS release in the future which will be the new baseline and flashing firmware's older than that will not be allowed. But it hasn't happened yet.

Read this thread: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-will-change-the-verification-method.32357/
Yeah it is true and has happened. Even the statement you referenced says "The firmware verification method will be modified in next formal firmware release." The latest one 380.3264 that dropped 5/12 has the following in release notes:

"ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3264
Releases note:
ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware."

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I didn't realise they were bringing out the next release so quickly! (Perhaps that other thread should be updated.)
I know right. 2695 is still showing as beta and they went directly to 3264 with this change.

I know right. 2695 is still showing as beta and they went directly to 3264 with this change.

The June deadline is coming fast.

Finally updated to the beta yesterday. Everything took just fine on my AC68P. I gotta say, with this firmware, this thing is a billion times more stable and reliable than my old AC66R.

so there is no way for 3.0.0.4.380.3264 to be downgraded ?
It's been reported in another thread, that at least for the AC68, it's still possible to downgrade using the CFE mini-server (I haven't tried it myself, so can't personally verify it). Thinking about how I would implement such a downgrade prevention, my suspicion is that the 3264 code is a first phase of the implementation, and this backdoor will likely be closed in a later release.

It's been reported in another thread, that at least for the AC68, it's still possible to downgrade using the CFE mini-server (I haven't tried it myself, so can't personally verify it). Thinking about how I would implement such a downgrade prevention, my suspicion is that the 3264 code is a first phase of the implementation, and this backdoor will likely be closed in a later release.

Yes it's unfortunate but it likely will be closed in further releases and probably soon as the dead line is Jun 2nd. If for some reason it stays were you can go back it just wouldn't make much sense to have gone through the process to begin with. I guess time will tell.

so it's possible to downgrade to an earlier official version e.g 37x ?

so it's possible to downgrade to an earlier official version e.g 37x ?

To any version (official or not) it seems. At least today (with this version 3.0.0.4.380.3264). Any later version? 'Probably not' is the general consensus.

Hi @all
i own an AC66u wich runs 380.58.2 (by HGGomes) - i would like to compare it with John's firmware fork. What is the recommended way to flash from 380.x "back" to 374.43 V17E8 ?

-> ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility?

Last edited:
Hi @all
i own an AC66u wich runs 380.58.2 (by HGGomes) - i would like to compare it with John's firmware fork. What is the recommended way to flash from 380.x "back" to 374.43 V17E8 ?

-> ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility?

I've flashed back and forth and never had an issue. Just be sure to reset to factory settings when you do.

A lot of N66 users feel Johns fork works the best for this model. The 374 code base has a super stable wifi driver apparently. Certainly worth a try. If you are using a simple configuration write down your particular settings so you can set them back up afterwards. More complex setup you may want to investigate using Johns NVRAM backup utility. Simply download the file and apply it then reset defaults and apply your settings written down earlier. Dont update to the latest ASUS stock version as they have stopped allowing downgrades to previous versions or 3rd party for now. That will be a 380.xxx something, If you do so you will be stuck at that version and unable to use any of the other versions you may want to try.

Thanks, I just updated the current stock one to John Fork 374, I didn't do anything with config, it retained it all from the previous config, should I reset to factory settings and re-do it again?

PS. Signal has improved slightly but not great yet.

Thanks, I just updated the current stock one to John Fork 374, I didn't do anything with config, it retained it all from the previous config, should I reset to factory settings and re-do it again?

PS. Signal has improved slightly but not great yet.
yes resetting to defaults is recommended and then reconfigure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!