What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, so you say they just try to scan port 22 from outside, and even though I have configured SSH to not listen on the wan interface, these logs are normal? (this is an UK ip address, I am in Germany):

Jul 7 18:09:39 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8260]: Child connection from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:09:39 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8260]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:09:40 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8260]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:09:40 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8260]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:09:40 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8260]: Exit before auth: Exited normally
Jul 7 18:32:28 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8359]: Child connection from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:32:29 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8359]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:32:30 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8359]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:32:30 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8359]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:32:30 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8359]: Exit before auth: Exited normally
Jul 7 18:55:27 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8467]: Child connection from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:55:28 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8467]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:55:28 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.warn dropbear[8467]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 5.152.214.240:9224
Jul 7 18:55:29 RT-AC68U-3228 authpriv.info dropbear[8467]: Exit before auth: Exited normally

I thought when I have ssh disabled for WAN, it will not even show up in the logs.

Thanks
Andi
That says you don't have the SSH access blocked from the WAN.....double check the settings on the Administration>System page for allow SSH access from WAN

And make sure you didn't disable the firewall.

That says you don't have the SSH access blocked from the WAN.....double check the settings on the Administration>System page for allow SSH access from WAN

The option was correct, however Merlin pointed out what was wrong, see below:

And make sure you didn't disable the firewall.

Yeah, thanks. That was switched off. And now as I think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Andi

You can add the following to the client config file.

dhcp-option DNS <dns_server_ip_address>

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated. I flashed to 18B9 from 17E8 and will wait and see if there is any difference.

One thing I did notice however is that with 17E8, the txpwr was being set to 23.50. Now with 18B9 it is set at 19.00. Curious to know why this is.

How much do you hope to save? A drive consuming 6 watts would use about 1kWh running for a solid week. Here in Missouri that's about a dime.
My drive consumes about 45w/hr (it's a multi-drive NAS). That's roughly 1KW/day and at $0.40 a KWhr, that's about $4 a day to run. This goes up 1% a month. Looking at those numbers, I may actually invest in an online service for my movies if I can stream them. In about two years, it should be about $5 a day.

My drive consumes about 45w/hr (it's a multi-drive NAS). That's roughly 1KW/day and at $0.40 a KWhr, that's about $4 a day to run. This goes up 1% a month. Looking at those numbers, I may actually invest in an online service for my movies if I can stream them. In about two years, it should be about $5 a day.

Lots of modern NAS have fairly flexible power management. My own NAS goes into sleep mode between 3am (after 30 mins of inactivity, so any usage past 3am would delay sleep mode entrance) and 9am. That's an easy way for you to reduce power usage by 25%, and it's not as taxing as enabling power saving on the hard disks themselves (which might generate a lot of stop/start cycles if your LAN gets a lot of random activity).

Also I assume that 45W is during disk seeks. While the disks are idle (not in sleep, just idling), power usage should drop a fair bit as well.

Lots of modern NAS have fairly flexible power management. My own NAS goes into sleep mode between 3am (after 30 mins of inactivity, so any usage past 3am would delay sleep mode entrance) and 9am. That's an easy way for you to reduce power usage by 25%, and it's not as taxing as enabling power saving on the hard disks themselves (which might generate a lot of stop/start cycles if your LAN gets a lot of random activity).

Also I assume that 45W is during disk seeks. While the disks are idle (not in sleep, just idling), power usage should drop a fair bit as well.

I've been living off a drobo and while it has been pretty reliable and simple for me, it seems to be lacking on the power management side of things. I bought that to expand the hard drives as needed...started with 3 1TB with double redundancy and am now up to several 3TBs. The last time I actually dealt with a RAID, it was impossible to do the plug and play on the drives, though that may have changed by now with other RAIDs. Do you have any recommendations or should I still stick with the Drobo?

I've been living off a drobo and while it has been pretty reliable and simple for me, it seems to be lacking on the power management side of things. I bought that to expand the hard drives as needed...started with 3 1TB with double redundancy and am now up to several 3TBs. The last time I actually dealt with a RAID, it was impossible to do the plug and play on the drives, though that may have changed by now with other RAIDs. Do you have any recommendations or should I still stick with the Drobo?

I'm not familiar with Drobos's product, so I can't comment on them. For full-featured NAS, I generally recommend QNAP (if you can afford them) or Asustor (if you want to save some money). Synology is usually very highly regarded as well, but I have no hands-on experience with them, so I can't comment on how they fare compared to QNAP (their main competitor).

I would avoid those cheap, entry-level products from Seagate or DLink, as their software is quite poor. Had a customer with a Seagate NAS that kept giving him problems. Replaced with a QNAP, his throughput went from 40 MB/s to 90-100 MB/s, and it's now rock stable.

He kept the Seagate to store his backups... until it completely died a few months later. That NAS was maybe 3 or 4 years old at most (he bought during those couple of years where he decided to switch to a different IT consultant, for pricing reason. Came back to me last year with a whole bunch of problems in need of fixing...)

You typically get what you paid for, as I always say.

I've been living off a drobo and while it has been pretty reliable and simple for me, it seems to be lacking on the power management side of things. I bought that to expand the hard drives as needed...started with 3 1TB with double redundancy and am now up to several 3TBs. The last time I actually dealt with a RAID, it was impossible to do the plug and play on the drives, though that may have changed by now with other RAIDs. Do you have any recommendations or should I still stick with the drobo
I'm not familiar with Drobos's product, so I can't comment on them. For full-featured NAS, I generally recommend QNAP (if you can afford them) or Asustor (if you want to save some money). Synology is usually very highly regarded as well, but I have no hands-on experience with them, so I can't comment on how they fare compared to QNAP (their main competitor).

I would avoid those cheap, entry-level products from Seagate or DLink, as their software is quite poor. Had a customer with a Seagate NAS that kept giving him problems. Replaced with a QNAP, his throughput went from 40 MB/s to 90-100 MB/s, and it's now rock stable.

He kept the Seagate to store his backups... until it completely died a few months later. That NAS was maybe 3 or 4 years old at most (he bought during those couple of years where he decided to switch to a different IT consultant, for pricing reason. Came back to me last year with a whole bunch of problems in need of fixing...)

You typically get what you paid for, as I always say.

Thanks for the info. For the QNAP and Asustor, is upgrade from one QNAP (or Asustor) to a new version as simple as moving the hard drives from one box to the next?

Last edited:

Drobo's are fun - they're sufficiently different from just about everything else out there - I've got friends that use them as Direct Attached Storage, not as a NAS, and they work well enough... Drobo's tend to be pretty popular in the creative community, and they support Macintosh very well - and yes, there are some power management settings available in the Dropbox dashboard app...

The filesystem is a "blackbox" in that Drobo doesn't say much about the insides - but ArsTechnica has a good writeup on their interpretation...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/03/drobo-review-1/1/

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/04/drobo-review-part-2-day-to-day-use/1/

From a security standpoint, how secure is v17e5 compared to the later releases of this fork??
Having the best luck with the media server and overall stability (>1 month of uptime!) on this build so really unsure about upgrading.

Thanks for the info. For the QNAP and Asustor, is upgrade from one QNAP (or Asustor) to a new version as simple as moving the hard drives from one box to the next?

In the case of QNAP, yes. They have a list on their support site as to which NAS models can be directly upgraded that way (there are a few special cases where it cannot be done, like the obvious cases where you are moving to a NAS with fewer bays).

With QNAP, you can even do various upgrade-in-place scenarios without having to backup and restore your entire NAS.

No idea about Asustor, never looked at its migration capabilities.

From a security standpoint, how secure is v17e5 compared to the later releases of this fork??
Having the best luck with the media server and overall stability (>1 month of uptime!) on this build so really unsure about upgrading.
See post #1 for the changelog from 17E5 to 17E8. V18 is still in beta but there is info /link to those changes as well in post #1.

See post #1 for the changelog from 17E5 to 17E8. V18 is still in beta but there is info /link to those changes as well in post #1.

I have looked :), however, what i wanted was a real world outlook on the fixes, weighed in security vs breaking something that is working, for someone having only a high level understanding of the technology. I guess its a lot to ask since at the end its one's own decision. Scratch the question.

I'm conscious also of security issues. There's been lots of security fixes in the new releases so have the relevant ones all been imported to the fork? I realize a fork like John's is a lot of work and it's no easy task to implement some of the newer security fixes but I'm curious how well it'd hold up against Merlin's against attackers.

I have looked :), however, what i wanted was a real world outlook on the fixes, weighed in security vs breaking something that is working, for someone having only a high level understanding of the technology. I guess its a lot to ask since at the end its one's own decision. Scratch the question.
Well perhaps John or someone else can chime in but 17.8 didn't seem to break anything from 17.5 if that helps. You can always go back too if you find something in your particular setup that doesn't work as expected.

I noticed Webmon stopped working when using IPTV.
Guess this is related with the WAN interface going into trunked mode.
So Webmon can't log visited domains.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!