What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, previously I had custom commands set to start which I put into the "wan-start" script in /jffs/scripts which is executed on router WAN start. It does not seem to get started anymore. Could someone share where I should be placing my custom commands?

This hasn't been updated in a long time. Kinda scary.

What's scary? No new code has been introduced (for a long time) by Asus and RMerlin for john9527 to incorporate into his builds.

Don't be scared.....was working on buttoning up the final V18 today. I have a lot going on personally right now, so it may be slightly longer between releases.

Hopefully good things going on!

Take your time friend your work is both excellent and appreciated regardless of release frequency.

Release V18E1 is now available...Details are in the first post and ChangeLog, but here are a couple of the big items in the update...

LATEST RELEASE: Update-18E1
21-July-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-18E1j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Update-18E1 Highlights
  • Updated components - OpenVPN, OpenSSL, dnsmasq, lighttpd, mDNSResponder, timemachine
  • AC56 and AC68 ARM routers are now compiled with a 64M rootfs
    For fork users with a current CFE, upgrade to this firmware as usual, then you will be able to change to the latest Merlin/OEM builds without the need for an intermediate firmware upgrade. Note that if you move from the fork to a 380 firmware level, you will have to use the Firmware Restoration tool if you desire to return to this fork.
  • Numerous tweaks/improvements/fixes to QoS (both traditional and bandwidth limiter). Bandwidth limiter users should upgrade to this level to correct a problem in properly setting the BW limiter rules.
  • A special option for the EU N66 users.....Allow extended 5GHz channels to be enabled for EU N66 via an nvram setting. This is a regulatory compliant implementation (including radar detection), but in keeping with the fork history, implemented as an 'Engineering Mode' which may provide somewhat better performance over the OEM code. Special thanks to @ColinTaylor for helping to test/debug this change.
  • Enhanced checking for weak router passwords
  • New banner alerts (the exclamation point) for low NVRAM and firewall disabled
  • Enhanced syslog messages for gui login/logoff

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Release V18E1 is now available...Details are in the first post and ChangeLog, but here are a couple of the big items in the update...

21-July-2016

Update-18E1 Highlights
  • Updated components - OpenVPN, OpenSSL, dnsmasq, lighttpd, mDNSResponder, timemachine
    For fork users with a current CFE, upgrade to this firmware as usual, then you will be able to change to the latest Merlin/OEM builds without the need for an intermediate firmware upgrade. Note that if you move from the fork to a 380 firmware level, you will have to use the Firmware Restoration tool if you desire to return to this fork.
  • Numerous tweaks/improvements/fixes to QoS (both traditional and bandwidth limiter). Bandwidth limiter users should upgrade to this level to correct a problem in properly setting the BW limiter rules.
  • A special option for the EU N66 users.....Allow extended 5GHz channels to be enabled for EU N66 via an nvram setting. This is a regulatory compliant implementation (including radar detection), but in keeping with the fork history, implemented as an 'Engineering Mode' which may provide somewhat better performance over the OEM code. Special thanks to @ColinTaylor for helping to test/debug this change.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the latest release. Do I need to take note of anything else if I am upgrading from your B9 release?

21-July-2016

Update-18E1 Highlights

Enjoy!
Thanks for your continuing work on this! This firmware has breathed new life into my RT-N66U.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Thank you for fixing QoS in 18E1 firmware. My friend can now play online games on PS4 with out lagging and download torrents at the same time.

Router: N66U.
Settings: User- Defined QoS Rules.

Possible bug report. For me OPENVPN servers do not work with firmware version 18. I didn't troubleshoot much because they were needed- I went right back to 17 and they work again. It seems they just won't turn on? Pretty psyched about the QOS! :)

Possible bug report. For me OPENVPN servers do not work with firmware version 18. I didn't troubleshoot much because they were needed- I went right back to 17 and they work again. It seems they just won't turn on? Pretty psyched about the QOS! :)
Hmmm....I use OpenVPN server and it's working fine for me (I even just double checked). Anything of interest in the syslog?

Thanks! Any advise on where to put custom commands as my wan-start script in /jffs/scripts is not getting invoked.
I use a wan-start script and it's working fine for me. Anything special you are doing? Did you recently make a change and accidentally save it in DOS/WIN format instead of Linux format?

For the latter, you can run
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/wan-start
to fix it up

Found the problem but not the solution. Nothing in jffs. Openvpn was looking for a config folder I have there and crashes because it cannot find it.

More odd info-
Copied everything from a backup to jffs- now jffs contents show up when looking from winscp or smb but not putty.
Tried to reformat the jffs and it apparently did not format- contents still show up in winscp or smb but not putty.

Going from a seemingly "empty" jffs folder on 18 back to 17 and it returns when looking in putty and all is good. Scripts run and Openvpn is able to find the config folder it wants and runs without issue.

Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the N66 the jffs space is carved out of what is left over after the firmware is loaded. In your case, the larger firmware may have overwrriten part of the jffs structures. You are on the right track doing a reformat.

Turn off jffs
reboot
turn on jffs and select format at next boot
reboot
reboot again without changing anything
restore your backup

I followed your instructions exactly. No joy.
Apparently the jffs has become read only. When I try to copy the files or make a directory there it says read only file system.

l.s. -.l shows jffs permissions as
drwxr-xr-x
Periods in command to bypass blocking.

Returning to 17 and folders/files show up in jffs and I can write to jffs.
Permissions show up as the same-
drwxr-xr-x

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not upgrade the CFE before upgrading to 18E1. Can I upgrade the CFE and then reflash 18E1 or do I need to downgrade to the previous version before upgrading? This is for an AC68U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!