What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did not upgrade the CFE before upgrading to 18E1. Can I upgrade the CFE and then reflash 18E1 or do I need to downgrade to the previous version before upgrading? This is for an AC68U.
If you were able to load the V18 firmware (V18 shows in the banner as the installed level) your CFE is fine (and already supports the 64M rootfs).

Those most likely to require a CFE upgrade are those with older AC68U's (like a couple of years old), that never installed anything above the 374 firmware level.

I followed your instructions exactly. No joy.
Apparently the jffs has become read only. When I try to copy the files or make a directory there it says read only file system.

l.s. -.l shows jffs permissions as
drwxr-xr-x
Periods in command to bypass blocking.

Returning to 17 and folders/files show up in jffs and I can write to jffs.
Permissions show up as the same-
drwxr-xr-x
OK...I'm stumped. I can't think of anything that changed in V18 that would affect the jffs (other than the size of code issue I already mentioned).

Any other N66 users having a problem with jffs?

As I mentioned before, I had the exact same issue going to merlin's 380.57 (before trying this fork).
See here.
One of the following builds worked properly again, so I cannot say what was the piece of code breaking it for me.

As I mentioned before, I had the exact same issue going to merlin's 380.57 (before trying this fork).
I thought I remembered reading something similar occurring on Merlin....thanks for jumping in. Are you running this fork...and have you tried V18?

The only things I can think of are some weird alignment issue when trying to create jffs or maybe a bad block happening to fall in a critical place. But this is just speculation.

Yes, I am on 17. And no, I won't be at home for a few weeks to try 18.
I didn't plan to do it anytime soon, but if i can help, I'll try.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you were able to load the V18 firmware (V18 shows in the banner as the installed level) your CFE is fine (and already supports the 64M rootfs).

Those most likely to require a CFE upgrade are those with older AC68U's (like a couple of years old), that never installed anything above the 374 firmware level.

I went ahead and dirty flashed to upgrade the CFE and then back to V18. The CFE that I had was 1.0.1.6. It is now 1.0.2. I did have to ssh in and unlock the channels afterward but it is all good so far.

Is the option tp change NAT loopback from asus to merlin gone, or it was never there ? Sorry I just cant remeber
On this fork, I never added it to the gui, but the option is there via ssh/telnet. The following will set Merlin....set the value to 1 for ASUS

Code:
nvram set fw_nat_loopback=0
nvram commit
service restart_firewall

ASUS is the default starting with V18 to avoid some limitations on the MIPS routers in handling iptables marks.

EDIT: added nvram commit

Last edited:
I went ahead and dirty flashed to upgrade the CFE and then back to V18. The CFE that I had was 1.0.1.6. It is now 1.0.2. I did have to ssh in and unlock the channels afterward but it is all good so far.
Really...I didn't think that the code would even load with the older CFE. I stand corrected.

Looks like jffs won't mount-

Version 18-
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

Version 17-
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)

One thing that may be a part of the issue (I don't know why it would, though) is this command I have in post mount-
mount --bind /jffs/ /tmp/mnt/myusbdrive/jffslinked

I am not sure what else to look into. Note that I deleted the usb drive from the mount lists above for succinctness.

One thing that may be a part of the issue I don't know why is this command I have in post mount-
mount --bind /jffs/ /tmp/mnt/myusbdrive/jffslinked
There is nothing automatically added to post-mount....so it must have been added externally at some point. And I don't see a 'myusbdrive' mount point. Try deleting or commenting out that line.

EDIT: Looks like you edited as I was writing....I'd still try taking that out just to eliminate complexity if nothing else.

EDIT2: A possibility.....that bind may be interfering with the reformat of the jffs. When you remove that line, then try the reformat again.

Last edited:
Installed over 18B2 with no overt problems. When I have some more time, I'll probably reset the nvram on it and build from scratch, because that's what I do. Anything I should know about these variables? I am using (to great success, by the way) bandwith limiter.
Code:
cpurush=19
qos_ibwopt=1
qos_overhead=0
qos_sched=2

Got the jffs working. A reformat after moving over to 18 did the trick. I'm having issues with my post-mount script and will report back if I can 't fix it myself. So I'll be reporting back soon. ;)

I do have to admit I tried to "format" the jffs by just clicking on format jfffs and then rebooting without scrolling down to click apply first AT LEAST once. Ok, probably twice. :eek:

Also, I had a couple if statements in my post-mount script that stopped working- they were like this-
if [ $1 = "/tmp/mnt/myusb" ]

and had to be changed to this to work-
if [ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/myusb" ]

Oh, and I had to reinstall entware too.

Now everything is humming along nicely. As always thanks for your help and this awesome firmware john!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a wan-start script and it's working fine for me. Anything special you are doing? Did you recently make a change and accidentally save it in DOS/WIN format instead of Linux format?

For the latter, you can run
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/wan-start
to fix it up
Could have been changed when I edited it in windows. Thanks a bunch!

Got the jffs working. A reformat after moving over to 18 did the trick. I'm having issues with my post-mount script and will report back if I can 't fix it myself. So I'll be reporting back soon. ;)

Whew...glad to hear it!:D

I do have to admit I tried to "format" the jffs by just clicking on format jfffs and then rebooting without scrolling down to click apply first AT LEAST once. Ok, probably twice. :eek:
This one is so common, I've been looking into a couple of javascript routines to flag trying to leave a web page without hitting 'Apply' if there are changes. To be honest just haven't got to play with that one yet.

Also, I had a couple if statements in my post-mount script that stopped working- they were like this-
if [ $1 = "/tmp/mnt/myusb" ]

and had to be changed to this to work-
if [ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/myusb" ]
I run into the same thing occasionally myself. My rule of thumb is to always use the quotes when testing strings, and not if testing numbers. One of these days I'm going to have to really read up on bash scripting (it's actually the Korn shell on the router)..

Oh, and I had to reinstall entware too.

Now everything is humming along nicely. As always thanks for your help and this awesome firmware john!

Last edited:
Installed over 18B2 with no overt problems. When I have some more time, I'll probably reset the nvram on it and build from scratch, because that's what I do. Anything I should know about these variables? I am using (to great success, by the way) bandwith limiter.
Code:
cpurush=19
qos_ibwopt=1
qos_overhead=0
qos_sched=2

cpurush=19 - No idea, it's an ASUS setting. Would have to grep the code to find it.
qos_ibwopt=1 - A safety valve setting that can revert some of the changes I made to traditional QoS in case someone ran into problems :)
qos_overhead=0 - Controls the new ATM overhead adder for QoS on PPPoE connections
qos_sched=2 - Sets the queuing discipline for ARM routers (sfq, codel or fq_codel)

Last edited:
Really...I didn't think that the code would even load with the older CFE. I stand corrected.

It will load, so long the TRX is smaller than around 30-31 MB. Yours should be, since you don't have the TrendMicro components taking up space.

cpurush=19 - No idea, it's an ASUS setting. Would have to grep the code to find it.
qos_ibwopt=1 - A safety valve setting that can revert some of the changes I made to traditional QoS in case someone ran into problems :)
qos_overhead=0 - Controls the new ATM overhead adder for QoS on PPPoE connections
qos_sched=2 - Sets the queuing discipline for ARM routers (sfq, codel or fq_codel)
Thanks. I had fantastic uptimes and stability under the 18 betas, looking forward to that continuing. Great work, I appreciate it tremendously.

Hey John,
So I updated to the latest 18E1 firmware and there is a setting in the "traditional qos" page that I have no idea what to do with and I'd appreciate your input.
"WAN packet overhead" - which one to chose? I have a pppoe llc connection - AC66U connected to a bridged modem. Do I chose the first one with many options and "bridged pppoe llc" at the end OR do I chose the second option of just "pppoe llc?" Or maybe I should just leave it at the default "none?"

Thanks in advance! Oh, and thanks for all the hard work. Much appreciated :):):)

I am getting a lot of dns errors, don't think I've ever seen even one before now hundreds.
Jul 28 18:16:21 dnsmasq[414]: server xxx: resp: 0x00 query failed for xxx
Jul 28 18:17:09 dnsmasq[414]: server xxx: resp: 0x00 query failed for xxx

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas how to troubleshoot/ fix the issue? :)
It may help to mention I am not using default ISP dns servers. Update: I am
getting the errors regardless of whether I use DNS automatically from the
ISP or my own, however.

The errors pop up during web browsing, but I don't notice any issues on
the front end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!