What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Recently I added an AP (Access Point) to my RT-N66U. (Wired to LAN port 2.)
To help a "sticky client" moving away from the RT-N66U or the AP, I played a bit with the "Roaming assistant" setting.
On the router this can be found under "Wireless -> Professional" tab.

You punch in a number for RSSI to disconnect the client, for example -70dB.
It seems the Android tablet from my wife isn't happy with this. (Yes, with a much better RSSI, not even close to the -70dB)
Maybe this is related with the above setting not working properly?
Could it be related with the sometimes "RSSI=???dBm", to be seen under "System Log -> Wireless Log".

Just thinking out loud here.
Any thoughts?

One more, how do you gents set the "Regulation mode" setting under "Wireless -> Professional" tab?

Thx!
First thing to try.....keep the RSSI value in the range of -70 to -90. I had bumped the upper limit up to -60 dBm back in V11, but I saw recently that Merlin had reverted a similar change because it didn't seem to be working.

As far as the ???dBm.....your guess is as good as mine since it's all handled in the closed source driver.

As far as the regulation mode is concerned....I follow the regulatory requirements there. If you are in the EU it enforces 802.11h

First thing to try.....keep the RSSI value in the range of -70 to -90. I had bumped the upper limit up to -60 dBm back in V11, but I saw recently that Merlin had reverted a similar change because it didn't seem to be working.

As far as the ???dBm.....your guess is as good as mine since it's all handled in the closed source driver.

As far as the regulation mode is concerned....I follow the regulatory requirements there. If you are in the EU it enforces 802.11h

I think I used the default -70dB, good to know to keep it between -70 to -90.

So for Regulation mode it can be set to off?
It will enforce anyway I understand.

Only thing I changed in NVRAM is:
Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain
NL
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain_5G
NL
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

From stock this is set at EU, which cripples my router because Asus is plain lazy.

From stock this is set at EU, which cripples my router because Asus is plain lazy.
Trying to change to a specific country is likely to make things worse. There are sub-settings for each country code, and there is not a standard for assigning them. Mixing and matching with the standard EU setup is likely not going to work, or at least not work well.

But, did you read this in the release notes?
  • Allow extended 5GHz channels to be enabled for EU N66. This is a regulatory compliant implementation (including radar detection), but in keeping with the fork history, may provide somewhat better performance over the stock code. .
To activate the additional channels enter the following via telnet/ssh (this has no effect on routers other than the N66)

Code:
nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1
nvram commit
reboot

You'll need to reset to EU first.

Trying to change to a specific country is likely to make things worse. There are sub-settings for each country code, and there is not a standard for assigning them. Mixing and matching with the standard EU setup is likely not going to work, or at least not work well.

Wow, didn't expect that!

Yes, I did read the addition in the release notes, however I already run the extra channels because of the NL regulation domain setting.
That's why I didn't change anything.

I reverted to EU and added the wl_dfs_enable setting.
It does change a few things!
I still have the extra channels on 5GHz, great.
It removed the "off" setting for "Regulation mode".
It also states in the yellow text 200mW is max power, no change here.
However it changed the stock setting from EU/3 to EU/13.

On 2.4GHz the yellow text changed from 200mW (NL reg domain) to 100mW. (EU reg domain)
No big deal, I run 100mW on both bands.

Let's see how this performs.
Still fighting with my wifes Android tablet and it's random disconnects.

Last edited:
AI Cloud seems broken in the later releases, not sure when it happened. Is this a clue?

admin@REMOVED:/tmp# lighttpd -f /tmp/lighttpd.conf
2016-08-26 17:59:18: (plugin.c.223) dlopen() failed for: /mnt/user_data/john9527/asuswrt.ac66/release/src/router/lighttpd-1.4.39/_inst/lib/mod_userdir.so File not found
2016-08-26 17:59:18: (server.c.715) loading plugins finally failed

Edit; commenting out these lines seems to work;
#server.modules+=("mod_userdir")
#server.modules+=("mod_sharelink")
#server.modules+=("mod_redirect")
#server.modules+=("mod_usertrack")
#server.modules+=("mod_rewrite")

Wow, didn't expect that!

Yes, I did read the addition in the release notes, however I already run the extra channels because of the NL regulation domain setting.
That's why I didn't change anything.

I reverted to EU and added the wl_dfs_enable setting.
It does change a few things!
I still have the extra channels on 5GHz, great.
It removed the "off" setting for "Regulation mode".
It also states in the yellow text 200mW is max power, no change here.
However it changed the stock setting from EU/3 to EU/13.

On 2.4GHz the yellow text changed from 200mW (NL reg domain) to 100mW. (EU reg domain)
No big deal, I run 100mW on both bands.

Let's see how this performs.
Still fighting with my wifes Android tablet and it's random disconnects.
Both my wife and I have Nexus 7 tablets that had random disconnects. I gave them static IP’s and the disconnects disappeared completely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Both my wife and I have Nexus 7 tablets that had random disconnects. I gave them static IP’s and the disconnects disappeared completely.

I'm going to try that with my 2012 Moto X too. Ever since Lollipop it will disconnect. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

AI Cloud seems broken in the later releases, not sure when it happened. Is this a clue?

admin@REMOVED:/tmp# lighttpd -f /tmp/lighttpd.conf
2016-08-26 17:59:18: (plugin.c.223) dlopen() failed for: /mnt/user_data/john9527/asuswrt.ac66/release/src/router/lighttpd-1.4.39/_inst/lib/mod_userdir.so File not found
2016-08-26 17:59:18: (server.c.715) loading plugins finally failed

Edit; commenting out these lines seems to work;
#server.modules+=("mod_userdir")
#server.modules+=("mod_sharelink")
#server.modules+=("mod_redirect")
#server.modules+=("mod_usertrack")
#server.modules+=("mod_rewrite")
Thanks for the detective work!
It seems as if ASUS also made changes to AICloud/webdav in conjunction with the update to lighttpd. I'm trying to trace them through, but it's not easy (they are picked up by Merlin in his GPL merges). I'm going to give it a try....I'll send you a PM with a link when I'm done. If you could give it a try I'd appreciate it. If it doesn't work, I'll just back out the lighttpd update.

Thanks for reporting!

It did indeed seem to fix it. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I can't see how that could solve the problem?
But if it works, that's great!

I used a different approach which seems to work.
Previously I used only one SSID/password for my 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.
I now separated them, using two SSID's, to have better control over which device is on which band.

Seems to help against unwanted device hopping (roaming).
This roaming is not seamless and gives short disconnects.

Last edited:
Went from stock firmware on N66U to Update-18E3, works great so far. WIFI speed is great. Running as router\GW. But today I discovered a scary thing: I enabled telnet yesterday and today I saw lots of login attempts in log... I tried to telnet from work and discovered telnet is open from WAN too! I have firewall disabled but NAT is enabled on WAN.

Ok, enabled firewall blocks telnet. But still...with NAT on WAN, the router should still not be listening to any ports on WAN. Very scary.

If you disable the firewall, all bets are off, everything is open (On v18 you should have a yellow exclamation point in the gui that if you click on it, will tell you this is a bad thing).
Yes, I saw the yellow exclamation:)
Another thing I noticed is my 2.4 clients did not establish 40 width in 20\40 mode, also Wireless Log show 20MHZ width. I switched to 40 and then it worked. Strangely, my non 40 capable clients also continued to work in 40-mode, did not expect that. So the 40 mode seems to be the "real" 20\40 mode:)

Yes, I saw the yellow exclamation:)
Another thing I noticed is my 2.4 clients did not establish 40 width in 20\40 mode, also Wireless Log show 20MHZ width. I switched to 40 and then it worked. Strangely, my non 40 capable clients also continued to work in 40-mode, did not expect that. So the 40 mode seems to be the "real" 20\40 mode:)
20/40 will 'downgrade' automatically based on conditions....40 forces it (may be 40, but may actually not be optimal and you may be impacting someone else's connection).

Last edited:
Anyone know what the "PRIO" fields do in the LAN -> IPTV tab?

I played a bit with these numbers, but only zero seems to work.
Anything else and all ended up horribly slow. :eek:

With the new Beta, what does the new "profiles for IPTV" do?
Is that only setting VLAN numbers? (Like I use 34,4,4)

Attachments

• IPTV.png
    IPTV.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 456
Anyone know what the "PRIO" fields do in the LAN -> IPTV tab?

I played a bit with these numbers, but only zero seems to work.
Anything else and all ended up horribly slow. :eek:

With the new Beta, what does the new "profiles for IPTV" do?
Is that only setting VLAN numbers? (Like I use 34,4,4)
Don't profess to know the details as to how it's being used by the providers, but the PRIO field sets a 802.11q qos tag for the various VLANs (it's a parameter passed to vconfig). Some of the profiles do use a PRIO other than 0.

Basically yes, the profiles are setting up the LAN ports and VLANs.

John, can you add support for slovenian telecom iptv provider to lan-iptv?

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!