What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, the command is different for ARM. Also, a couple of other things to keep in mind....
- the firmware shut downs several services before the upgrade
- after the upgrade it cleans up the original firmware image
- in the case of ARM, it actually builds a new, small rootfs, to handle the reboot

Any reason not to start an OpenVPN server to connect to instead of ssh (unless this is an N16)? This way you don't have to open the ssh port and can use the full firmware function through the gui.
it seems the upgrade process shuts down pppd so wan closes before i can upload the firmware and temporary bricks the device - it needs power cycle.
I've also tried the script with nohop but no luck this time either.
It seems local upgrade is the way for now

it seems the upgrade process shuts down pppd so wan closes before i can upload the firmware and temporary bricks the device - it needs power cycle.
I've also tried the script with nohop but no luck this time either.
It seems local upgrade is the way for now

pppd? Can you not store the *.trx locally on the router (perhaps in tmpfs /tmp) then run the commands?

Updating from shell will not reliably reboot the router, as the shutdown procedure requires access to code that is no longer there. When you upgrade through the webui, the firmware builds a temporary filesystem that contains everything necessary to reboot the router.

Directly doing an mtd-write + reboot can lead to either the router getting stuck during shutdown, or crashing and forcibly reboot (which can cause potential filesystem corruption if you have any plugged USB disk), and should therefore never be attempted remotely.

Hi new here.. I just want to thank everyone all the information/work, that has enabled me to use,
Merlin fork 374.43_2-18E3j9527 and keep away from the FFC stuff. I had to recover my router and select the firmware after upgrading to the latest Merlin firmware, because of all the limitations. I'm in the UK BTW.

I have now set up my RT-N66U without any restrictions (No country or TX limit). I cross referenced all the information and used telnet. Even after reboot all my settings are still there. Tx 1000 mW on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. All the channels 1-14, 34-161. Temperature 55°c - 57°c. What a huge improvement, I have disconnected the 2nd router at the rear end of the house and can now connect to the first router, even the 5ghz. I haven't used channel 14 (using channel 1, with no interference) and using channel 140 to keep within Ofcom guidelines as I will need a license for anything above 140, max 1000 mW. The information is a little vague on channel 14, I'll research it a little more, but I think I know the answer already.

It was a huge learning curve yesterday, but with a satisfying outcome.

A big thanks to Merlin and John!!

Last edited:
updated my N66U last night from fork 374.43 V17E8 to V18E3. nice smooth update and no issues.

thanks for Merlin and John for all their hard work!

Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:01:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Jan 1 00:00:07 kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
  • Older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
Hi,

I found this on my system log. Shouldn't it be Wireless Controller 5.x? I'm on Firmware:374.43_2-18E3j9527 (Merlin fork)

From the release notes for V18......

o Replaced busybox wget with full implementation and add https support

Do a 'wget --help' to see what options may need to be changed.

John,
I don't know if I ran into bug but I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and nothing Im reading is telling me anything I'm going wrong or need to change?...

JFFS folder is filling with WGET output files when it never did with v17. I've always used WGET -q and still am.

ideas/thoughts?

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
John,
I don't know if I ran into bug but I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and nothing Im reading is telling me anything I'm going wrong or need to change?...

JFFS folder is filling with WGET output files when it never did with v17. I've always used WGET -q and still am.

ideas/thoughts?

thanks for the help!
AFAIK, the -q option is the same, but only controls message output. I can't really tell anything else without seeing the full wget command you are using.

AFAIK, the -q option is the same, but only controls message output. I can't really tell anything else without seeing the full wget command you are using.

In less than 24 hours there were over 7000 files written.

I think I figured this out... WGET was writing files with names like:

data_request?id=variableset&DeviceNum=246&serviceId=urn:dcineco-com:serviceId:MSwitch1&Variable=Status6&Value=1
or
data_request?id=variableset&DeviceNum=246&serviceId=urn:dcineco-com:serviceId:MSwitch1&Variable=Status6&Value=0

... successive files are appended with .<number>
... WGET was writing the resultant as a file since every file only has "OK" inside, nothing else.

Happened on both v17 & v18 when I use WGET -q instead of -qs. In v18 -qs no longer works for I must use -q ... in v17 I can use -qs an no files are written.

So looks like in the prior version of WGET -s set 'spider mode' where in the full version of WGET you must use --spider

DOH!

Last edited:
This is happening on both 17e8 & all 18. Started once the WGET -qs command no longer worked and I had to change to WGET -q
Well, simple thing to try first....the equivalent of 'wget -qs' for the new wget is
'wget -q --spider' (without the quotes of course)

both options mean don't download anything, just check for the file existence.

But I must admit, I'm not sure what your script is doing. It doesn't check for the return code after checking the file with wget. Does just accessing the file do something?

--spider fixed the issue on v18
The wget command simply sends a command to set a variable... Doesn't need confirmation to the router so I don't need to know the response.

Thx for the help

--spider fixed the issue on v18
The wget command simply sends a command to set a variable... Doesn't need confirmation to the router so I don't need to know the respons
Thx for the help

Glad to hear that got it.
I had heard of using wget to send a command, but hadn't seen it before. Interesting.

Hi,
with firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-18B9j9527 I can successfully connect to router using SFTP (Total Commander plugin).
After upgrade to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-18E3j9527 I can't. Probably something's wrong with authorization.
Configuration is the same, nothing has changed.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hi,
with firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-18B9j9527 I can successfully connect to router using SFTP (Total Commander plugin).
After upgrade to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-18E3j9527 I can't. Probably something's wrong with authorization.
Configuration is the same, nothing has changed.
Any advice would be helpful.
I actually think I just found this over the weekend investigating some options for someone wanting to use Deja Dup over SFTP. I accidentally dropped a patch when doing the latest dropbear update.

I put 18E1 back up in the download area. Can you verify that fixes the problem?

Thanks for your fast answer, I can confirm that version 18E1 is fine.

I actually think I just found this over the weekend investigating some options for someone wanting to use Deja Dup over SFTP. I accidentally dropped a patch when doing the latest dropbear update.

I put 18E1 back up in the download area. Can you verify that fixes the problem?
Cool. I thought I was going crazy because it suddenly quit working.

Recently I added an AP (Access Point) to my RT-N66U. (Wired to LAN port 2.)
To help a "sticky client" moving away from the RT-N66U or the AP, I played a bit with the "Roaming assistant" setting.
On the router this can be found under "Wireless -> Professional" tab.

You punch in a number for RSSI to disconnect the client, for example -70dB.
It seems the Android tablet from my wife isn't happy with this. (Yes, with a much better RSSI, not even close to the -70dB)
(Random WiFi disconnects.)
Maybe this is related with the above setting not working properly?
Could it be related with the sometimes "RSSI=???dBm", to be seen under "System Log -> Wireless Log".

Just thinking out loud here.
Any thoughts?

One more, how do you gents set the "Regulation mode" setting under "Wireless -> Professional" tab?

Thx!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!