What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Post 1 does not outline the difference between Merlins and John fork.

With my RT-N66U, the primary reason I use the fork over merlin's is mentioned in the first post, and many others use it for the same reason.

The fork does include
  • Maintenance for documented security issues
  • Maintenance for supporting open source components (such as dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)
  • Backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch
  • Some unique support for options requested by users
  • A different IPv6 stack which may work better in some environments
  • Older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
  • Less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels

Actually, it does. The actual (specific) comparison/differences you have to do yourself though.

I am pretty sure that is what he is asking for and most likely wanting real life experiences from users. Like is it more stable? faster? performance and /or more tweak-able to name a few.

19E3 up for 16 days now with no issues. I might try the new beta if I get the itch to try out native nano support :)

I am pretty sure that is what he is asking for and most likely wanting real life experiences from users. Like is it more stable? faster? performance and /or more tweak-able to name a few.

The question is hard to answer, like the age old question: Ford or Chevy? The question of which to choose, merlin or this fork, is made even more complex considering that both are stable and actively maintained by top-notch fellows. :)

It depends on too many factors. The best answer, which most of us around here prescribe to, is to try both and see which you prefer.

Nullity answered this very well already. Anyone using this fork is doing so because they believe they are getting the most from their routers over and above other firmware versions available. :)

What is important to you and your specific network environment cannot be assumed or determined by anyone other than yourself. Read the changelogs of Asus', RMerlin's and john9527's firmware to see if you can find a definitive reason to use one or the other.

More simple; just use each firmware you're interested in for a day or a week or a month and compare how that is with the other(s) and choose the best for your needs. ;)

Btw, the 'he' that I quoted was you. And yes, almost all third party firmware versions based off of RMerlin's work are likely to be more stable, faster and tweakable. Otherwise, there would not be a need for them in the first place. :)

What is important to you and your specific network environment cannot be assumed or determined by anyone other than yourself. Read the changelogs of Asus', RMerlin's and john9527's firmware to see if you can find a definitive reason to use one or the other.

More simple; just use each firmware you're interested in for a day or a week or a month and compare how that is with the other(s) and choose the best for your needs. ;)

There is no better blend of compassion and logic than L&LD. :)

John,

I was unable to get 20B6 to load on my AC68R. Had to reset back to 19E3. I will PM some logs.

CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc090] revision 0 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7

John,

I was unable to get 20B6 to load on my AC68R. Had to reset back to 19E3. I will PM some logs.

Did your remove any USB devices connected to it and do a reboot first?

Did you do a reboot anyway and wait about 5 minutes for the router to stabilize?

(The above free up memory and other resources that the updating process may need).

Is the router overclocked at all? (Recommend to set the clocks to defaults first).

Can you use another browser to try flashing it with?

Nullity
Btw, the 'he' that I quoted was you. And yes, almost all third party firmware versions based off of RMerlin's work are likely to be more stable, faster and tweakable. Otherwise, there would not be a need for them in the first place. :)

I think you missed the original post i am refering to actually the true "he" is not me but the user who originally asked the question. I just wanted to clarify what he may be asking. But thanks for your feed back.
See below the original post i was talking about

I never ran this FW before only Merlins. What is the difference between them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I did see that original post, but my reply was to yours. :)

So you've given up on pfSense?

(generic Broadcom ADSL2+ modem)
pfSense = router
RT-N66U = AP
but thanks for caring. :)

Eventually I hope to switch to the the EdgeRouter-X as my router, presumably enforcing that I'm not a fanboy of open-source/FreeBSD, but that time has not yet come. I hope I am no fanboi... :/

So you've given up on pfSense?

pfSense is good and has its place..

Eventually I hope to switch to the the EdgeRouter-X as my router, presumably enforcing that I'm not a fanboy of open-source/FreeBSD, but that time has not yet come. I hope I am no fanboi... :/

I've been preparing some "hard core" numbers of ER-X. So far I'm very impressed. Stay tuned..

John,

ARGHHH (technical term)...my apologies to those that still had problems....
What I did in testing V20B6.....did 5 updates in a row going back and forth between V19E3 and V20B6
What I didn't do......reboot the router after loading V20B6

So, for those wondering why this was such a difficult problem to get my hands around.....
  • Hardware enhancements can cause complications. The base for this code didn't really have to worry about CTF-FA since none of the supported routers had it. The newer models do, and the code detected it and tried to use it.
  • Even a simple change (making sure CTF-FA is disabled for IPTV) can really cause problems...like trying to enable CTF-FA on routers that didn't support it.
  • Slight differences in code paths (a firmware update reboot vs a stand-alone reboot) can bite you
  • The drag along for a 'simple' change can sometimes be hard to find...I had to backport some more ASUS code to get things sorted out

The upside is the CTF-FA support is now better. For the next question, how do I know if my router supports CTF-FA, go to the LAN>Switch Control page. If under Hardware Acceleration, it only shows Disable/Enable, it doesn't. If it does, it will show Disable/CTF Level 1/CTF Level 2.

I've temporarily pulled the V20B6, and made a V20B7 version available for some pre-testing before I put it back up. Hopefully this will get this one squashed.

ARGHHH (technical term)...my apologies to those that still had problems....
What I did in testing V20B6.....did 5 updates in a row going back and forth between V19E3 and V20B6
What I didn't do......reboot the router after loading V20B6

So, for those wondering why this was such a difficult problem to get my hands around.....
  • Hardware enhancements can cause complications. The base for this code didn't really have to worry about CTF-FA since none of the supported routers had it. The newer models do, and the code detected it and tried to use it.
  • Even a simple change (making sure CTF-FA is disabled for IPTV) can really cause problems...like trying to enable CTF-FA on routers that didn't support it.
  • Slight differences in code paths (a firmware update reboot vs a stand-alone reboot) can bite you
  • The drag along for a 'simple' change can sometimes be hard to find...I had to backport some more ASUS code to get things sorted out

The upside is the CTF-FA support is now better. For the next question, how do I know if my router supports CTF-FA, go to the LAN>Switch Control page. If under Hardware Acceleration, it only shows Disable/Enable, it doesn't. If it does, it will show Disable/CTF Level 1/CTF Level 2.

I've temporarily pulled the V20B6, and made a V20B7 version available for some pre-testing before I put it back up. Hopefully this will get this one squashed.

John did you mean."Hardware Acceleration" mine says "NAT Acceleration" with those options

Assuming that was a type then that explains why I had no issues loading the beta firmware as I have options for Disable/CTF Level 1/CTF Level 2 and hence my router supports CTF-FA on that premise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John did you mean."Hardware Acceleration" mine says "NAT Acceleration" with those options
I always get them switched....it's NAT acceleration in one place and HW acceleration in another (the LAN page or the Tools page)....yes, it's the same.

Assuming that was a type then that explains why I had no issues loading the beta firmware as I have options for Disable/CTF Level 1/CTF Level 2 and hence my router supports CTF-FA on that premise
Correct....routers that supported CTF-FA had no problems (like my primary 68P). I think you also wouldn't have a problem if you had CTF disabled for some reason (either forced off on the LAN settings or off due to QoS or IPTraffic being enabled).

EDIT: As part of this exercise I also fixed an ASUS bug in the FA enabled routers in 20B7. If you selected CTF Level 1 (CTF Only), it would set CTF Level 2 (CTF+FA) instead.

Last edited:
Due to the weekly router lock ups and weekly reset of the router to get internet access again. I am thinking on using Merlins latest FW. I have the latest Fork version presently installed on it now and last FW upgrade I cleared the NVRAM. If I go back to Merlins FW will I need to reset the NVRAM again? or is recommended, not needed? Thanks!

Due to the weekly router lock ups and weekly reset of the router to get internet access again. I am thinking on using Merlins latest FW. I have the latest Fork version presently installed on it now and last FW upgrade I cleared the NVRAM. If I go back to Merlins FW will I need to reset the NVRAM again? or is recommended, not needed? Thanks!

Yes. Absolutely.

If I go back to Merlins FW will I need to reset the NVRAM again? or is recommended, not needed? Thanks!
A factory reset would be required.

But I'm not aware of any problems like you are describing. Do you have a syslog from when you are having a problem?

A factory reset would be required.

But I'm not aware of any problems like you are describing. Do you have a syslog from when you are having a problem?

Not at the moment but yeah the last couple Fork Revs. I lose internet access and have to reset the router to get it working again. Happens about once a week. I can try and get the syslog next time I am at home. I turned on IPV6 about the same time so maybe that is the reason??? Thx!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!