What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi John, I just ran a port scan test on GRC and it shows my port 80 as open for some reason. UPnP is enabled and I have one laptop only switched on at the time (smart TV off but smartphones on and connected to wifi).

I have not updated to the latest release yet. Any way I can know why this port is open?

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED)

EDIT:
Updated to 20e3 without problems but the external port scan still says 80 is wide open on the router.
Would like to state that all WAN access settings in administration are disabled. HTTPS connection over internal network is enabled.

Attachments

• port 80 open.PNG
    port 80 open.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Exactly.
for me this is no problem since al of my devices will fit that bigger window
for others it might be a problem so it still needs to have scroll bars but they only need to appear when the data on the screen is bigger than the window(eg lots of wifi devices.
maybe that is the design of the window at the moment(small window and if things fill up scrollbars appear)

I just ran into this same 'issue' with many devices on and was about to post about this again. :)

Last edited:
Hi John, I just ran a port scan test on GRC and it shows my port 80 as open for some reason. UPnP is enabled and I have one laptop only switched on at the time (smart TV off but smartphones on and connected to wifi).

I have not updated to the latest release yet. Any way I can know why this port is open?

EDIT:
Updated to 20e3 without problems but the external port scan still says 80 is wide open on the router.
Would like to state that all WAN access settings in administration are disabled. HTTPS connection over internal network is enabled.

Can't replicate it here.....double check the Enable Web Access from WAN setting
- If you are running a VPN client sometime they will respond to the test. If I enable my client (through PIA) it shows multiple ports as Open.
- What kind of modem and does it have a Web interface?

All_Stealth.JPG

Can't replicate it here.....double check the Enable Web Access from WAN setting
- If you are running a VPN client sometime they will respond to the test. If I enable my client (through PIA) it shows multiple ports as Open.
- What kind of modem and does it have a Web interface?

View attachment 7533

Hmmm... disabled vpn but still shows open. Double checked all wan access settings all are disabled.

I have a ftth setup with an ericsson modem. From what I can see on it, model should be T063G (II). KDU 137 609/1 R1A is also mentioned on it but not sure if that is a model number.

Looks exactly like this one http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...ericsson-mod-t063g-novo-completo-na-caixa-_JM (not from Brazil though :p). No idea about a web interface on it.

Last edited:
Hmmm... disabled vpn but still shows open. Double checked all wan access settings all are disabled.

I have a ftth setup with an ericsson modem. From what I can see on it, model should be T063G (II). KDU 137 609/1 R1A is also mentioned on it but not sure if that is a model number.

Looks exactly like this one http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...ericsson-mod-t063g-novo-completo-na-caixa-_JM (not from Brazil though :p). No idea about a web interface on it.

Port scan of port 80 on both IPv4 and IPV6 is showing as blocked by firewall for me so looks like your set up

Can't even get it to close even if I forward the port to a non existent local IP.

Can't even get it to close even if I forward the port to a non existent local IP.
Did you try connecting to the port?
http://your_internet_ip:80/

Also, you might try connecting directly to the modem with you PC and running a scan. Do you see the same results?

I suppose it may also be possible that your ISP is monitoring/traffic shaping http traffic?

Did you try connecting to the port?
http://your_internet_ip:80/

Also, you might try connecting directly to the modem with you PC and running a scan. Do you see the same results?

I suppose it may also be possible that your ISP is monitoring/traffic shaping http traffic?

Yep I tried that but all i get is a refused to connect error on chrome and server stopped responding on safari.

Actually I had confirmed it from the ISP's technical backend whether they do traffic shaping activities on the connection and they denied it. I haven't seen any evidence of this as well.

However, when I had first subscribed to them, I had noticed a popup notification injection on a webpage I had visited. I had then contacted them and got that "feature" disabled. I did not get any popup subsequently in the years that I have been a customer. This was also the time that I had confirmed whether they engage in traffic shaping activities or not.

Could this open port be a feature of an ad/popup injection "framework" that they may have set up??

I have also emailed them asking about this open port but pretty sure I won't get a knowledgeable response.

Think im on 14E1 and now V20E3 is out, What is better now ? Is it Security or...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think im on 14E1 and now V20E3 is out, What is better now ? Is it Security or...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check the Changelog.txt file included with the release (it's cumulative so you can see all the changes from any prior release).

just upgraded from version 19e3 to 20e3 on my N66U, all ok so far
huge thanks to John9527 for all the hard work with this excellent Asus firmware :)

EDIT:

On my RT-N66U I don't see this problem. All stealth (green) on Shields Up website.
Only open port is 1194, that one is correct because it's my OpenVPN port.

Yes, I mentioned that as an alternative on my first post.
But instead of Alt+PntScr, Ctrl+V, F12 and type file name. I just pressed one button on my remote control gizmo.
That's eight clicks for each screenshot vs one. ;)

But how many clicks to get it to the computer then? :)

On my RT-N66U I don't see this problem. All stealth (green) on Shields Up website.
Only open port is 1194, that one is correct because it's my OpenVPN port.

Thanks for checking. I am in the process of troubleshooting it with my isp. It's a possibility that their ad injection (which i made them switch off on my connection) activities have something to do with this.

John - N68U here.

Trying to get an Android USB tether connection (Verizon Android phone) as primary WAN.

On Merlin's most recent codebase, it is flip a couple of switches under GUI, then "plug and play" and it just works after toggling "USB Tethering" Android settings on the Android phone (but I lose the benefits of this fork's build (e.g., higher selectable RF power - still a benefit?)).

Under this fork, it looks like the GUI/build combines the Android USB tethering setting and the USB WWAN modem setting into one big setting, with lots of variables to fill-in. Very tough to navigate for just activating an Android USB tether.

Wondering if either (i) someone can point me to default variable fill-ins for Android USB tether connection (on Verizon) for this fork's build, or (ii) there are plans to backport into a later version of this build the very easy GUI Android USB tether functionality of Merlin's most recent codebase?

Thanks for any information.

Just want to report that the isp has hidden port 80. Now I have all green stealth ports.

If only i had checked it a while back..i remember I did try some time back on the grc website but the test wasn't able to run. Can't help but feel a bit paranoid about all the time the port was left open now... :(

.... Can't help but feel a bit paranoid about all the time the port was left open now... :(

Nothing to worry about.
Your routers port 80 was probably never open.

I guess your ISP actively dropped traffic on port 80.
To "protect" their customers if they did something stupid.

Because they actively dropped port 80, my guess is that's why it showed as open on GRC port scan website.

Ran into a bit of a problem... I enabled the setting for logged packets to dropped under firewall settings and now the GUI won't show up on any computer be it on wifi or wired. It just says establishing secure connection on the bottom of chrome and then nothing.

EDIT: The gui now just opened itself spontaneously in the tab that I just left it as it was (when I was trying to open it). This was on a wired desktop. May be a bug. I will try and reproduce it.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, when I was trying to access it from a laptop on 2.4ghz it was losing the wifi connection and then refusing to connect to the wifi network when I was trying to do it manually.

Last edited:
Ran into a bit of a problem... I enabled the setting for logged packets to dropped under firewall settings and now the GUI won't show up on any computer be it on wifi or wired. It just says establishing secure connection on the bottom of chrome and then nothing.

EDIT: The gui now just opened itself spontaneously in the tab that I just left it as it was (when I was trying to open it). This was on a wired desktop. May be a bug. I will try and reproduce it.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, when I was trying to access it from a laptop on 2.4ghz it was losing the wifi connection and then refusing to connect to the wifi network when I was trying to do it manually.
Again, things that I regularly do that I'm pretty sure work correctly. One thing that can produce similar symptoms is some security suites, most notable ESET (and I believe AVAST as well). If using an addon suite, make sure the router address is whitelisted for network access.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!