What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have used the fork since the day it came out all versions on both my N66U and my AC68U and never had any issues you describe. Perhaps something in your environment.

My RT-N66U spontaneously reboots 1-3 times each day, and has been doing so for the last several versions of The Fork.

I have been capturing syslogs to an external drive, but there is absolutely nothing showing - just normal activity and then a sudden reboot.

I have a very vanilla setup; no USB servers, no parental control, no QoS, no VPN, no AiCloud, no optware or entware. For me, it's just a router. I am using both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with an apparently symptomless series of reboots? And found a cure? I'm happy to provide further information on request.

I don't believe there are any other reports like this, so here are a couple of things I'd check....

- Do you have another power supply that you could try? I've seen more that one occasion where those 'wall warts' have become flakey.
- If you work the power switch on the router, does it 'feel' right? There have been reports of the switch breaking and it could be on the edge.
- How is the temperature reported by the router? Is it in an enclosed area where it could be overheating?
- Have you logged into the modem to check if there are any strange events logged? How are the power levels for your connection as reported by the modem?

My RT-N66U spontaneously reboots 1-3 times each day, and has been doing so for the last several versions of The Fork.

I am running Update 07 and get up times in weeks. Only when I manually reboot does it reboot. Last problem I had with this version was with the time change, but I ignored that for almost 2 weeks before rebooting.

You said last several versions. I am a few versions back, what was the last good version for you?

I don't believe there are any other reports like this, so here are a couple of things I'd check....

- Do you have another power supply that you could try? I've seen more that one occasion where those 'wall warts' have become flakey.
I will have to look around for an equivalent power supply. Jiggling the wire doesn't do anything.
- If you work the power switch on the router, does it 'feel' right? There have been reports of the switch breaking and it could be on the edge.
It feels fine. Just now may have been the first time I've touched it since I installed the router.
- How is the temperature reported by the router? Is it in an enclosed area where it could be overheating?
This is a possibility. The router's in a closed closet near a UPS which runs warm. Ambient temp is 82 F. Radio temps are 57/60 C or 136/138 F.
- Have you logged into the modem to check if there are any strange events logged? How are the power levels for your connection as reported by the modem?
The modem is rock solid, having been up for 54 days with no unusual events.

I have been a very good squirrel and after flashing I did a reset to defaults followed by a restore using your script.

The frustrating thing is the lack of syslog entries. I see syslogd is logging at priority 7. Do you think if I set it to priority 8 I will see anything interesting? (I assume priority 8 will be more verbose?)

I am a few versions back, what was the last good version for you?
I can't say. I only started noticing the reboots the past few weeks. The router reboots quickly enough that most of the time, the reboots go unnoticed if no one is actively using the network. So I'm not even sure how long this has been going on.

But from all reports, I'm not throwing blame at the firmware. I just wish the logs would provide a clue. I suppose I could roll back to 07 and see if that makes a difference.

Firmware 10. Router AC68. Up time 2 hours.

Wifi is good, Internet is good and fast, no errors in the log, DST time is working properly.

Will update at later time if i have any new information.

I can't say. I only started noticing the reboots the past few weeks. The router reboots quickly enough that most of the time, the reboots go unnoticed if no one is actively using the network. ...

I would notice a reboot because I run this command

Code:
cat /tmp/syslog.log | grep -i -e "login" -e "password" -e "Exit"

when I sign in via ssh.
Also a reboot would have fixed the time change problem I had.
I don't watch the up-time in the GUI.

The key to this attack is a user who doesn't change the default login user/password on their router. If you give your router a non-default password, you should be safe.

Protecting Yourself as a Consumer
As we have seen above the router DNS hijacking malware is taking advantage of default credentials on the routers, and bugs that allow unauthenticated configuration requests to be sent to the routers. The best protection available is to ensure the firmware on your router is fully patched, and to change the default credentials.

Last edited:
I would notice a reboot because I run this command
Well, I notice them now that I'm looking for them. :eek: I just meant that in normal use, unless someone in the house is actively doing something which wants to move bits through the router, reboots can go unnoticed.

Here's what I do now. My N66U doesn't automatically copy the syslog to JFFS as some routers do. In the services-start script, I mount the shares on my NAS drive so the router can see them. I "tail -f" the syslog onto the NAS, adding one big obvious line so I can see exactly when the reboot happened.

Code:
touch $MOUNT_PT/Logs/router.log

echo '**************** ROUTER REBOOTED! ********************' >> $MOUNT_PT/Logs/router.log

tail -n +1 -f -s 1 /tmp/syslog.log >> $MOUNT_PT/Logs/router.log 2>&1 &

I can't say. I only started noticing the reboots the past few weeks
I was reading another post which reminded me....there have been problems in the past when both ipv6 and NAT acceleration are active on some ISPs (and the way the ISPs are still tweaking ipv6 that can change over time). Have you tried to disable either one and see if that helps?

I was reading another post which reminded me....there have been problems in the past when both ipv6 and NAT acceleration are active on some ISPs (and the way the ISPs are still tweaking ipv6 that can change over time). Have you tried to disable either one and see if that helps?
Yeah, I stumbled across that post also. I am now trying NAT acceleration off. One tweak at a time...

I haven't seen any of that. What do you see when you go to WAN - DDNS in the router?

I am getting the same thing. Gives an "unauthorized registration request!" error on mine. I tried rebooting and also toggling WAN on and off after router was fully up and cable modem was ready in case the request was coming before it was getting a non 192.168. address. No luck, but if I ping the connection from my other wan connection/router/firewall.. it does resolve properly.
...I assume this will only work for a period of time or until my address changes though.

(nothing changed on the wan -> ddns tab.. all information is still the same and nothing was changed/updated/deleted/etc by the upg to 10e.

My isp on the rt-ac68u is comcast. Its not the business class cable.

Updated friends N66U from V7 to V10. No issues to report after 24 hours.

PS3, PS4, XBOX1, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS are working with out issues in online gaming.
Tablets, laptops, phones - Apple and Android, over wifi are working properly with out issues.

Internet provider; Verizon Fios, using Actiontech(wifi disabled) router as main router and N66U(only source of Wifi) as secondary router with double NAT. Everything on his network is connected on both wifi bands only via N66U router.

I have same setup with Fios but with AC68R router and double NAT configuration. No issues to report at this time.

Thank you again for your hard work John.

P.S.
Sold my second AC68 router to my friend, so i will be updating his new router shortly to newer firmware. I will update you asap once he has had a chance to test it in his environment.

My uptime is 29 hours 36min.
System Log;
Mar 27 20:37:58 crond[528]: time disparity of 2227717 minutes detected
Mar 29 02:12:51 HTTP login: login 'admin' successful from 192.x.x.x

Last edited:
Some of you guys mentioning reboots, i can't say I have noticed any reboots on my n66u on version 10.
Looking in system log uptime is 5 days 22 hours, I take it that would change if I rebooted or the router kept rebooting?

Cheers

Some of you guys mentioning reboots, i can't say I have noticed any reboots on my n66u on version 10.
Looking in system log uptime is 5 days 22 hours, I take it that would change if I rebooted or the router kept rebooting?

Cheers
Same on my RT-N66U , no reboot since 10E1 update 3 days ago

I read about this vulnerable one the other sources and there was comments, that people was affected even if they change they default credentials. That is the reason why I asked.

And BTW I got strange activity with Asus DDNS service: http://cl.ly/image/1w1M1K3c0L0z http://cl.ly/image/30313k0G1614 http://cl.ly/image/2C0l1b260A0L I run 10E on RT-AC68U.
I'm also having this problem with the Asus DDNS service. Updated my N66U from V7 to V10, had to reset to factory default, and then restore settings. I got both of these messages last night. Tried again just now, and it finally connected after a couple of tries.

I'll monitor it over the next while and post back if it hasn't worked itself out. (Temporary problem with Asus DDNS?)

I'm also having this problem with the Asus DDNS service. Updated my N66U from V7 to V10, had to reset to factory default, and then restore settings. I got both of these messages last night. Tried again just now, and it finally connected after a couple of tries.

I'll monitor it over the next while and post back if it hasn't worked itself out. (Temporary problem with Asus DDNS?)
I won't rule out a problem, as integrating the Custom DDNS script support turned out to be more of a pain than I expected. But, I spent last evening going thru the code and nothing jumped out at me....if it's a bug, it's subtle. That error message is only a translation of an HTTP 401 response (bad authorization/logon credentials), so it may be a problem on Asus side. Give it a day and see if it works itself out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!