What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apology in advance for the question but I am quite out of touch. I read this old reply:

Great choice!

The problem with 376.44 is that you can't localize the router any more.
This is ASUS crap because of some FCC regulations.
FCC has no jurisdiction in my country, but ASUS doesn't care.

This means that with 376.44 I'm stuck with only 4 channels on 5GHz and reduced range on both WiFi bands.

So I stick with 374.43 unless there are serious security issues that needs to be fixed.
Probably a lot of people will do the same.
Such a shame for a great open source project.

That's why I am happy to see john9527's update on the 374.43 base. :)

I'm trying to get the best Wifi performance/range on an RT-N66U. Currently running Merlin 378.52_2 and in a part of my apartment, I can only connect to 2.4 and it's really slow. Performance on 5 seems to be fine.

Apology in advance for the question but I am quite out of touch. I read this old reply:

I'm trying to get the best Wifi performance/range on an RT-N66U. Currently running Merlin 378.52_2 and in a part of my apartment, I can only connect to 2.4 and it's really slow. Performance on 5 seems to be fine.

Have you tried this fork of RMerlin's firmware? It's very likely to be better on your RT-N66U as far as wireless goes, since it uses an older SDK.

I'd give it a try if you haven't already. Look in the first post of this thread for information on how to get John's firmware. And you'll need to reset your router to factory defaults after flashing it, before manually entering your configuration settings.

Hope that you try it!

Reactions: ray
Have you tried this fork of RMerlin's firmware? It's very likely to be better on your RT-N66U as far as wireless goes, since it uses an older SDK.

I'd give it a try if you haven't already. Look in the first post of this thread for information on how to get John's firmware. And you'll need to reset your router to factory defaults after flashing it, before manually entering your configuration settings.

Hope that you try it!

Thank you, that's what I was curious about! I will try the latest beta that he posted.

LOL....I've actually had a patch for that from around V2 or V3 of the fork....at the time everyone said don't do it :) I'll put it V12 now that Merlin has gone that route as well.

I thought there was a simple solution to that. I can't remember but I think it was as simple as enabling something, rebooting, and then disabling it again.

Coming from v11 fork and trying V12BEJ
Its just me? Trying to "RESET to DEFAULT FACTORY" in the GUI and the Wireless setting are not erased.
Erasing Nvram(WPS button trick) resolved that

Rt-AC68u

Its just me? Trying to "RESET to DEFAULT FACTORY" in the GUI and the Wireless setting are not erased.
Which settings/gui page? Didn't change anything that should affect that, but I'll try and recreate it.

EDIT: Thanks for the report!!! Finally something found in the BETA before being released. Was able to recreate and isolate the offending commit (it is unique to the BETA). Depending on timing, fix will be in next BETA or the final V12.

For the BETA users, there is no reason to factory reset if moving from a previous fork level. Users coming from other firmware should do a WPS reset after loading the BETA.

Last edited:
Which settings/gui page? Didn't change anything that should affect that, but I'll try and recreate it.

EDIT: Thanks for the report!!! Finally something found in the BETA before being released. Was able to recreate and isolate the offending commit (it is unique to the BETA). Depending on timing, fix will be in next BETA or the final V12.

For the BETA users, there is no reason to factory reset if moving from a previous fork level. Users coming from other firmware should do a WPS reset after loading the BETA.

After reflexion,sorry i was coming from 378.53 with my AC68 not the v11, my bad i forgot :confused:
Cool you was able to recreate :)

I have a different problem that's a more generic RT-AC68 problem. When I change settings in the admin web gui, they don't change. I make a change, click "Apply", and the screen goes to "Processing", and I don't think that it would ever return to normal if I didn't click on my router bookmark in my browser after waiting a while. And then the settings that I see are unchanged in the web GUI after the dust settles.

I've tried the usual including resetting to factory defaults using the reset button and the WPS button, reflashing followed by reset, etc.

Has this happened to anyone else, and it either stopped or you fixed it? Or is my router toast? I've never had this one happen with a router, they either work or don't work, usually. Not just stop responding to setting changes, but continue to work with the original settings.

It may be that I could change settings using a telnet login that I can't change in the web admin GUI, which might mean that the web admin GUI itself was somehow screwed up...don't know how that could happen. Anyways, haven't tried that yet, can't since I can't turn on telnet login because for some reason it isn't the default and I can't change settings *sigh*.

What anti-virus are you using.....ESET for example is known to cause what you are seeing.

Oh my, never seen that one before. I've been using Nod32 for about 5 years (or more) now, and no interactions with any of my router web admin screens. I wonder what happened to trigger that? Anyways, as soon as I temporarily disabled Nod32, I could make the admin GUI changes I needed to make, and now it's back on and everything seems fine again...I need to read more about this one and see what I should expect and what I can do about it. Disabling antivirus long enough to do some quick router configuration isn't a problem, though.

I do vaguely remember reading about that a couple of years ago, and checked and haven't experienced any problems until right now.

Weird, man.

There's a web page 'scanner' somewhere in ESET.....you can exclude the router ip and all will be well :)

PS....I'll also bet that is what was causing your network map to not get updated....

Oh my, never seen that one before. I've been using Nod32 for about 5 years (or more) now, and no interactions with any of my router web admin screens. I wonder what happened to trigger that? Anyways, as soon as I temporarily disabled Nod32, I could make the admin GUI changes I needed to make, and now it's back on and everything seems fine again...I need to read more about this one and see what I should expect and what I can do about it. Disabling antivirus long enough to do some quick router configuration isn't a problem, though.

I do vaguely remember reading about that a couple of years ago, and checked and haven't experienced any problems until right now.

Weird, man.

Okay, I added my router's address under "Protocol filtering" in the Nod32 setup. I'll see if that takes care of it.

Thanks again!

Update: Yes, the above Nod32 mod has taken care of the problem I was seeing.

On the client list update problem, I don't know, but I'm not taking any bets...Why would it start working again when that one client device was gone? Just don't know about that one.

Last edited:
I found this forum due update on OEM firmware caused me have use Mac filtering for guest network.... Thx for this update!

I do have a separate question "Tx power adjustment"

ASUS rt-n66u is the main router
I have a second router downstair opposite side of house Linksys N300

I use TP-Link power line adapters to connect the two and the Linksys is LAN to LAN with DHCP off to the ASUS using TP-Links

I cannot decrease the transmit range of the ASUS I have it down to 5mW and it still have coverage in the area of the house I do not want. I think it is due to the "real transmission power will be dynamically adjusted to meet regional regulations"

No matter where I set the Tx setting when using WiFi Analyzer the coverage does not decrease... I want to ASUS to only have enough Tx for upstairs and not filter downstairs....the Linksys has that covered well downstairs. I need the ASUS low so laptops will pickup on the Linksys wifi...SSID names are the same but I need ASUS weak enough that Linksys picks up since it is strong downstairs.

I am a newbie but I can follow clear directions...is there a way to set the Tx Power so it not dynamic and change? I need it to stay low

new guy

I' don't believe you are going to be able to achieve what you want with the TxPower adjustment. Everybody want's to try and extend coverage, but it's actually difficult to restrict coverage. But first a question or two....

Are you concerned about the 2.4GHz radio, 5GHz radio or both? On the 5GHz band when I measured it changing from the default 80mW to 20mW power only lowered the signal by at most -10dBm (about 20ft away though a couple of walls). For 2.4GHz is was at most -5dBm. So, it's likely you'll still be able to detect the ASUS router even at minimum power.

Is there any reason you don't want to use separate SSIDs? That would probably be the easiest solution to have a separate SSID for downstairs and the Linksys. Here's one post on a solution that includes guest networks...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-get-full-house-coverage.23804/page-2#post-177026

One other possibility that may achieve your goals is using the 'Roaming Assistant' function under Wireless/Professional. First, take a client down to the area where you don't want coverage and use the Wireless Log on the router to get measure of it's perceived power level. Then you can set the cutoff point in the Roaming Assistant to above that level to try and force the Asus to disconnect.

EDIT: Found my actual test results and updated measurements.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!