What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello I have an RT-AC68U and installed this firmware, gave it a factory reboot afterwards. I just set my PPPoE password and IPV6 but then my Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting and connecting back after a while, like in a loop. What could be the cause? Thank you

Hello I have an RT-AC68U and installed this firmware, gave it a factory reboot afterwards. I just set my PPPoE password and IPV6 but then my Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting and connecting back after a while, like in a loop. What could be the cause? Thank you
Which version did you install? If the BETA release, the gui factory reset is broken and you need to do a manual reset with the WPS button/power on. For first install, please use the V11E1 release.

and Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome.

I have installed V11E1 release, I remember trying to install your firmware before, and now I remember I uninstalled it via recovery because it was doing the same thing, Wi-Fi was dropping then coming back after a while(not sure if lan fell because I don't have lan devices)

I don't recall any similar problems with the AC68U....the only thing I can think of to try is to disable 'NAT Acceleration' under LAN->Switch Control. Some ISP implementations of IPv6 don't get along with the acceleration implementation and having PPPoE on top of that may be adding an additional complication (from other posts it seems as if PPP connections across all firmware levels can be a bit more touchy).

I have been using Ver-11 since the day it was released on my AC68U and it has been rock solid no issues what so ever. There has to be something else going on in your environment. Although i am using a cable internet connection but i doubt thats the issue.

It's strange cause merlin's builds and stock one work fine.. Just this one glitches, although before the Wi-Fi going down, the Wi-Fi speeds are amazing! I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Anyway I'm on the latest Merlin right now. How can I install it as clean as possible right now?

It's strange cause merlin's builds and stock one work fine.. Just this one glitches, although before the Wi-Fi going down, the Wi-Fi speeds are amazing! I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Anyway I'm on the latest Merlin right now. How can I install it as clean as possible right now?

Just flash the fork build again and do a complete WPS factory reset and reconfigure from scratch.

Okai I did that john suggested, problem is that with NAT off my speed is around 180 Mbps max on Wi-Fi, where I would get around 400.

Update: Ok so the problem seems to have been the activation of Native PPP IPV6(with NAT On). Didn't try with NAT off since losing my speed over Wi-Fi would defeat the purpose of this firmware. Maybe in the future you can explore this issue and maybe come up with a fix?

Thank you

Last edited:
The IPv6 stacks are different in this fork vs the current Merlin firmware. If you every feel like trying it again, please capture the syslog at the time when you are having a problem. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything, but would be interested to see what is happening.

I' don't believe you are going to be able to achieve what you want with the TxPower adjustment. Everybody want's to try and extend coverage, but it's actually difficult to restrict coverage. But first a question or two....

Are you concerned about the 2.4GHz radio, 5GHz radio or both? On the 5GHz band when I measured it changing from the default 80mW to 20mW power only lowered the signal by at most -10dBm (about 20ft away though a couple of walls). For 2.4GHz is was at most -5dBm. So, it's likely you'll still be able to detect the ASUS router even at minimum power.

Is there any reason you don't want to use separate SSIDs? That would probably be the easiest solution to have a separate SSID for downstairs and the Linksys. Here's one post on a solution that includes guest networks...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-get-full-house-coverage.23804/page-2#post-177026

One other possibility that may achieve your goals is using the 'Roaming Assistant' function under Wireless/Professional. First, take a client down to the area where you don't want coverage and use the Wireless Log on the router to get measure of it's perceived power level. Then you can set the cutoff point in the Roaming Assistant to above that level to try and force the Asus to disconnect.

EDIT: Found my actual test results and updated measurements.

Thx this was very good feedback. What I did was gave the downstairs a different SSID name...

Now I really like the idea of Roaming Assistant and one I would like to use...but just confused on one part. The second AP is bridged to the main ASUS router so the second router is not a DHCP all is controlled from the ASUS. So if I set a range from a client to disconnect from the ASUS in my mind it is still disconnecting from the second AP since it is controlled by the ASUS. So if client gets out of range and ASUS say ok -70 and cuts the access the second AP will it pickup....maybe it will since signal is strong coming from the second AP that was just cut by ASUS...??? :)

The IPv6 stacks are different in this fork vs the current Merlin firmware. If you every feel like trying it again, please capture the syslog at the time when you are having a problem. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything, but would be interested to see what is happening.

Here you go John. Just activated iPV6 and it did it again, everything crashed, then back again, then crashed. I was also monitoring the IPV6 tab and it seems I cannot get a IPV6 address, besides the fact that the router bugs out. I've turned it off for now, maybe you can find a solution so IPV6 can work too. The main error I see is: "module nf_conntrack_ipv6 not found in
modules.dep
"
PS: Saved the syslog right after the crash.

Attachments

• syslog.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 403
Here you go John. Just activated iPV6 and it did it again, everything crashed, then back again, then crashed. I was also monitoring the IPV6 tab and it seems I cannot get a IPV6 address, besides the fact that the router bugs out. I've turned it off for now, maybe you can find a solution so IPV6 can work too. The main error I see is: "module nf_conntrack_ipv6 not found in
modules.dep
"
PS: Saved the syslog right after the crash.

Didn't see anything that jumped out from the syslog. The 'nf_conntrack_ipv6' is a false error (and one I had already fixed in V12). That module is compiled as part of the base kernel, so there is no module to load.

There are a couple of things I'd like you confirm/try
- on the WAN page, try changing the state of 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' (yes to no, or no to yes)
- on the Firewall page, try setting 'Filter IPV6 Neighbor Solicitations' to No
- lastly, it looks like you changed the default username....if so, could you try setting it back to 'admin'

Didn't see anything that jumped out from the syslog. The 'nf_conntrack_ipv6' is a false error (and one I had already fixed in V12). That module is compiled as part of the base kernel, so there is no module to load.

There are a couple of things I'd like you confirm/try
- on the WAN page, try changing the state of 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' (yes to no, or no to yes)
- on the Firewall page, try setting 'Filter IPV6 Neighbor Solicitations' to No
- lastly, it looks like you changed the default username....if so, could you try setting it back to 'admin'

Ok activated IPV6 and did what you suggested. Still couldn't get an IPV6 address and after like 3-4 minutes Wi-Fi crashed again and after about a min it came back online.

Ok activated IPV6 and did what you suggested. Still couldn't get an IPV6 address and after like 3-4 minutes Wi-Fi crashed again and after about a min it came back online.

I went through your original syslog again, and there is no indication of any problem, but it seemed to have stopped right after the normal boot sequence (the end of boot is usually indicated by the 'time disparity' message).
Can you post after that?

Also, what does the IPv6 status show under System Log -> IPv6?

EDIT: Also, what are the last two setting on the IPv6 page (Router Advertisement and DHCP server)? I don't see radvd starting, although I don't know enough to know if it should when running a PPPoE connection.

Last edited:
The V12 BETA is now CLOSED pending the formal release.

Last Beta refresh before release....Can you believe it's already been 5 weeks since the last release?

I'd especially appreciate feedback from users with MIPS processor routers (N16,N66,AC66) using Media Server

BETA RELEASE: Update-12BG
3-June-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-12BGj9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V
============================

Update-12BG HighLights: (new items since last Beta in italics)
  • Merlin Backports
    • Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2a for testing. This adds new ciphers and helps gets us ahead of the year-end EOL for the current OpenSSL stream. Thanks
      to @Chrysalis for getting the discussion started and for his early testing.
    • Updated versions of miniupnpd and dnsmasq
    • Updated minidlna
    • Merlin's latest revisions for OpenVPN policy based routing (including exception rules)
      Added OpenVPN backports through Merlin 378.54_alpha4
    • Fix for OpenVPN not restoring DNS servers with some provider configs
    • Wait for NTP sync before starting VPN servers/clients
  • New Fork Updates
    • Removed the gui option to 'Allow local subnet forwarding' and made this the default
    • Fixed all the System Log pages so the scroll bars will only be visible under IE if they are needed :)
    • Fixed the wireless client count on the Sysinfo page to include guest clients
    • Client RSSI on the Wireless log page is now '??' if the information is not available or invalid (limitation of the older MIPS wireless drivers)
    • Upstream maintenance for radvd
    • New gui media server option to disable the media scan that occurs on every boot (will only update on change to media files)
    • Disable the exclaimation point alert if allowing guest access for Samba or FTP
    • Fixed reset to factory defaults from gui (BETA regression)

SHA256 hashes:

Code:
d9213e7f8a1a36290699b88e3421b236af88e30313e91caedb59b4e2d58f21ce *RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BGj9527.trx
b15f747dac3675e723f872b4d564da5985373512d1b83bb7dae323dbaf5499f0 *RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BGj9527.trx
fb221e9df093bd6427b53e94c79255230f5059c9860e644345e3ecb6619ff0fc *RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BGj9527.trx
bbacb0fda293c849e1dc8fa8d7934966e35fb690a7b1c7fe6951445ec88e6ce3 *RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BGj9527.trx
643284ce0863e58da93492ea97a0c95b9f5ebaf6dbc90e43ba1aa01667f78947 *RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BGj9527.trx

Last edited:
I went through your original syslog again, and there is no indication of any problem, but it seemed to have stopped right after the normal boot sequence (the end of boot is usually indicated by the 'time disparity' message).
Can you post after that?

Also, what does the IPv6 status show under System Log -> IPv6?

EDIT: Also, what are the last two setting on the IPv6 page (Router Advertisement and DHCP server)? I don't see radvd starting, although I don't know enough to know if it should when running a PPPoE connection.

I'm attaching the log after this message. Weird thing is that this time is that I couldn't connect to Wi-Fi until after a reboot.

Attachments

• oneone1.jpg
    oneone1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 444
  • twotwo2.jpg
    twotwo2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 464
Hello guys. I'm using stock ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.378_4585. I want to update to the marlin build. Currently i'm running:
nvram get boardrev
0x1100
nvram get HW_ver
1.0.2.0 bootloader EU
I have all 5ghz channels and can overclock to 1000,800 fine. I know that at some point ASUS put limits on wireless power..i'm not sure in which version but i understand it is locked from the CFE which is basically the bootloader, right? I don't want to mess with CFE editing now.. Did i miss my chance to downgrade/update on this build or not? Because i think the major limitations where done from version 378_50 which is newer than what i have now. Can someone clear up these things for me so i choose which merlin build to flash to? Thanks

Request for some help in trying to understand Vortex66 difficulties.

If anyone is running PPPoE connection with IPv6 (preferably an AC68, but will take any model), could you make available a copy of your syslog after a reboot via PM. Thanks!

Hello guys. I'm using stock ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.378_4585. I want to update to the marlin build. Currently i'm running:
nvram get boardrev
0x1100
nvram get HW_ver
1.0.2.0 bootloader EU
I have all 5ghz channels and can overclock to 1000,800 fine. I know that at some point ASUS put limits on wireless power..i'm not sure in which version but i understand it is locked from the CFE which is basically the bootloader, right? I don't want to mess with CFE editing now.. Did i miss my chance to downgrade/update on this build or not? Because i think the major limitations where done from version 378_50 which is newer than what i have now. Can someone clear up these things for me so i choose which merlin build to flash to? Thanks

Starting with the 376 firmware, ASUS changed the way they handle power management. They went to a power 'slider' in percent, where 100% = 80mW, and you no longer can use some of the nvram power tweaks that have been made available. There's also some difference in drivers, but primarily for the N66.

By what you have posted, it looks like you have an AC68 with a current bootloader (that's the same data as my AC68R). The good news is you can use whatever firmware you like with that configuration. If you would like to try this fork, it will work fine....you just need to do a factory reset after loading and set up your configuration again. If you want to go back to a 378 level, you can do that as well, just need to do another factory reset after the load.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!