What's new

Forward ISP dhcp to a lan client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

Hello

I have a ac68u router. It’s connected on the Wan port to a cable modem on bridge mode so router gets a public IP address from isp. Cable modem does nothing but acting as a bridge. On this mode, it will assign public ips to whatever I connect to its switch.

Is it possible that, while preserving this setup, I could configure the asus router to pass though the isp dhcp to a client connected on the lan side of if? I need a lan device to acquire a public ip.

Thanks

Does your ISP give you more than one public IP address?

Yes. I can connect up to 3 devices on the cable modem Switch and all of them will get a different public ip. Total purchased bandwidth will be divided into all devices

Rather than actually assigning public IPs to devices on the LAN, the following would probably be a better approach.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/One-to-one_NAT

Although the above wiki is for dd-wrt, it actually applies to any third party firmware. The idea is to bind all your public IPs to the WAN of your primary router, but then port forward those public IPs to LAN ips. By doing so, the LAN devices retain their local IPs (so they can still communicate w/ other devices on the LAN), but *appear* to have their own *public* IPs thanks to the port forwarding.

Thanks for the info. But I believe that approach is when you have static public ip addresses. In my case, I rely on my ISP’s dhcp service to obtain public ip’s

Not clear to me the purpose or value of having multiple dynamically assigned public IPs, esp. if all but the public IP assigned to the WAN of the primary router are to be assigned *through* that same WAN. Why not just place a switch behind the modem and connect the WAN of the primary router, and the LAN port of the other devices to be assigned public IPs to that switch? Or else place those other devices on their own VLANs (or WLAN) w/ no local DHCP server (amounts to the same thing)?

hello
i really appreciate your help. without getting into details of looking the purpose or value of having multiple public addresses, is there a way to achieve this?

thanks

hello
i really appreciate your help. without getting into details of looking the purpose or value of having multiple public addresses, is there a way to achieve this?

thanks

Did you try what was already suggested by eibgrad? Does that not give you what you need?

thanks. i looked into that option but it doesnt apply to me since i dont have static public ip addresses

thanks. i looked into that option but it doesnt apply to me since i dont have static public ip addresses
I can't see the logic in what you're trying to do. Your clients can query DHCP by themselves so you don't need to connect them to your router for them to get their public IP addresses. Just connect them to your modem via a switch as @eibgrad suggested. I can't think why this won't work and it would be much simpler than using some convoluted pass through on the router.:confused:

I was suggesting the method in post 6 too. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!