What's new

Ftp tls support - speed drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damian_k

New Around Here
My router is ac87u, firmware 380.67 I use fast pendrive as ftp and ipad in my lan. Speed up from ftp to lan i have up to 35MB / s but when i turn on tls support, the speed drops to 10MB / s and the processor is heavily loaded. My question is, is this normal? Are other routers in this class also doing this - for example synology?

My router is ac87u, firmware 380.67 I use fast pendrive as ftp and ipad in my lan. Speed up from ftp to lan i have up to 35MB / s but when i turn on tls support, the speed drops to 10MB / s and the processor is heavily loaded. My question is, is this normal? Are other routers in this class also doing this - for example synology?
You would see drops as TLS support is now encrypting traffic, which puts a strain on CPU resources

I use as often as wan. Uploading an internet link I have however 65Mbit / s so here is not a problem but i am going home and i would have to switch tls every time. Not enough with usb 3.0 not too fast it's still such an additional drop

Would changing the router solve this problem?
A router with a faster cpu would do a better job, but you will always see a drop between encrypted and unencrypted speeds. My advice is to get a proper NAS/FTP server, so the FTP/encryption isn't slowing the router from passing traffic.

For me it would be most important to handle ftps without dropping the transfer rate in lan, the cpu load is not very interested me