What's new

Geezers reminisce...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Since we're talking old HW...

20 years ago - my primary desktop/workstation... Macintosh IIx - 8MB RAM, DEC DSP3107L 1GB SCSI, Apple 8*24 card running a 20" grey scale CRT, Asante 10MB ethernet card, all running on A/UX 3.0.2 - had a dedicated bonded channel ISDN connection (128Mbit symmetric), forget what the terminal adapter was there, IIRC it was some kind of 3com box - and a US Robotics v.Everything dialup modem over serial...

That was the home box, at the office, I had a Sun SS20 with a shed-load of RAM/Storage, and a big color CRT for development, and a toshiba laptop for email/productivity apps - that SS20 followed me around on office moves for about 8 years, until 2003, when I shifted employers..

Those were the days ;)

Last edited:
For many who are new to the SNB community - one of the key reasons why we have open linux based platforms are due to Linksys and their initial Linux-based designs...

Specifically the WRT54G and the NSLU2 - as fairly open and hackable platforms/boxes - those platforms have enabled an entire community, and perhaps, an industry around development based on these platforms.

Many routers that you find on the shelves these days, along with many NAS boxes, have DNA that goes back to these two boxes... it's been a fun and interesting 10 years...

sfx

Oddly enough, I still have one of each...

Then serial console, Jtag cable were common in tool box. Also likewise we should thank Uof Hawaii for working
on Aloha protocol. Also autodin, arpanet with DOD... Suddenly realizing I am getting too old, LOL!

Since we're talking old HW...

20 years ago - my primary desktop/workstation... Macintosh IIx - 8MB RAM, DEC DSP3107L 1GB SCSI, Apple 8*24 card running a 20" grey scale CRT, Asante 10MB ethernet card, all running on A/UX 3.0.2 - had a dedicated bonded channel ISDN connection (128Mbit symmetric), forget what the terminal adapter was there, IIRC it was some kind of 3com box - and a US Robotics v.Everything dialup modem over serial...

That was the home box, at the office, I had a Sun SS20 with a shed-load of RAM/Storage, and a big color CRT for development, and a toshiba laptop for email/productivity apps - that SS20 followed me around on office moves for about 8 years, until 2003, when I shifted employers..

Those were the days ;)

My first modem was a Commodore 1670. 1200 bps. The nights spent downloading games...

(Damn, can't believe I still remember the model number!)

My first modem (at work, for GE Tymeshare) was an acoustic (handset in cradle).
At home, I had a Hayes for my Apple II. 300 baud.

That's about the same time perhaps (1977 or so) - I used to go down to the local community college and login to a DEC PDP-8, which had both a basic and pascal environment - I was perhaps 13 - local electronics store got the "New" Apple ][ and I never looked back once I convinced the folks to spend the $999 to buy one (thousand bucks back in the day was serious money)...

The absolute oldest computer I had a chance to work with - SDS 920, which was a hand-me down from JPL - Singer-Link integrated it into a training simulator... I think that box was from roughly 1964-1965 timeframe...

Still have my old (first) Linksys WRT54GS, and it still works. My daughter is still using the second router that I had, DLink DIR-655. On the other hand, the WNDR3700v1 has gone, as has the Asus RT-N56U. Still have the Asus RT-N66U, still works...plus 3 newer, wireless-1900AC routers.

Routers R us *smile*.

The absolute oldest computer I had a chance to work with - SDS 920, which was a hand-me down from JPL - Singer-Link integrated it into a training simulator... I think that box was from roughly 1964-1965 timeframe...

http://www.andrews.edu/~calkins/profess/SDSigma7.htm

sds_splash.png

Remember when the "Apple II" was cutting edge on the green\orange screen!

When our high school computer class programming assignments were to build word processor and spreadsheet programs using Pascal from scratch.

Some Guys could see the future (Ex: Bill Gates) and took those school assignments to what they are today Word and Excel.

Back in high school - again, this is late 70's/early 80's - they had a lab with a few of TRS-80's...

Of course, goes without saying, they were very different than the A//'s...

sfx

Radio_Shack_Tandy_TRS-80_Model_I_System.JPG

My first modem was a Commodore 1670. 1200 bps. The nights spent downloading games...

(Damn, can't believe I still remember the model number!)

On a C64? Remember that if plugged in on the RJ-11, it would answer on the first ring, irregardless of ATSO settings?

8-bits - those were the days :D

sfx

On a C64? Remember that if plugged in on the RJ-11, it would answer on the first ring, irregardless of ATSO settings?

8-bits - those were the days :D

I was heavily into customizing Greg Pfounz's Color 64 BBS back then... Damn, looks like that where I started getting into modding other people's code after all. I never realized it...

Computing was actually fun and exciting in these days, weren't they?

Computing was actually fun and exciting in these days, weren't they?

Amen - couldn't agree more... it still is - just different - and I appreciate all your efforts on the community here...

current workstations - choose one or the other...

Attachments

• CBr15_MBP_2012.png
    CBr15_MBP_2012.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 596
  • CBr15_Dell-i7-desktop.png
    CBr15_Dell-i7-desktop.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 622
How about this one I put together :D (I wish I could afford one)

z420-custom-benchmark.PNG

Odd I would have though this workstation would have done better.

Amen - couldn't agree more... it still is - just different - and I appreciate all your efforts on the community here...

Anyone used wire wrap gun like on Imsai kit?

I've done some wirewrap, can't remember what tool we used tho. Plenty of breadboard action too while in college.

A very long time ago... when I was in the military - AN/UYQ-20 had wirewrapped backplanes, and we had to do some field fixes on one after a gun-shoot (I'm ex-Navy)..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!