What's new

Geo Location with Charter and ASUS RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedbert

New Around Here
Greetings-
Not completely sure where to post this or how to word it properly.

I seem to be having a Geo Location Issue with my cell phone only when connected to my wireless network.

**Hardware**
Motorola SB6121 (Connected to Charter)
ASUS RT-N66U (FW 3.0.0.3.178)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Sprint, Android 4.1.1, Yahoo Weather Widget)

I live in apple Valley, MN. But as I approach my home and connect to my wireless network, my Yahoo Weather Widget changes my location from Apple Valley to Bolivar. I am not sure where Bolivar is. Now if I were to shut off my wifi on the phone the widget goes back to Apple Valley.

I have also found that this is effecting all apps on my phone that use geo location.

Part of me is wondering if I should contact Charter about this. Or if there is something I can fix.

Thank you for your time and help with this odd question.

Are you using your ISP's DNS servers or third party ones? Using third party DNSes can have odd effects with services that rely on geolocation. They can be especially bad with caching services such as Akamai or Youtube's proxies, as you can end up using a server that's farther away network-wise, impacting your performance.

Otherwise, one thing I'd try would be to change your SSID (tho geolocation probably relies more on MAC addresses than SSIDs, but who knows).

Are you using your ISP's DNS servers or third party ones? Using third party DNSes can have odd effects with services that rely on geolocation. They can be especially bad with caching services such as Akamai or Youtube's proxies, as you can end up using a server that's farther away network-wise, impacting your performance.

Otherwise, one thing I'd try would be to change your SSID (tho geolocation probably relies more on MAC addresses than SSIDs, but who knows).

I was using OpenDNS. This did not cross my mind. I have changed it to automatically get the DNS servers from Charter. I will test this over the coming days and see how it works. Thank you!!

So I have gone to Charter's DNS servers and it is like I flip back and forth. Apple Valley to Bolivar. Also I took my Sprint Airave out of the equation.

Could also be because Charter is reusing an IP block that used to be allocated in South America, and the geolocation service is using an out of date database.

Could I contact me and request a new IP?

IPs are usually dynamic and will change between connections between your modem and your ISP, so nothing you can do about it. You could try to powercycle the modem (leave it off 5-10 mins) to obtain a new IP, no guarantee it won't be in the same block.

Because of internet ISP's being pushed through DHCP, there is no way to call and request them to change your IP address. When you say you took the airwave out of the equation did you completely power it down (and for how long) or did you simply unplug the ethernet?

Also, I'm going to assume this is an Android?

When I had my Evo, the stock weather widget would do the exact same thing. Nothing I could do about it. Android (Google) eventually sent a fix for it in one of their updates. This was a Google issue. They have a database of SSID's, and cell towers that provide the aGPS data, which there was a problem with.

So.... I shut off my modem and network for about 1 day. Came home turned everything back on and it now shows I am in Apple Valley, MN consistently!!!!

The quickest way to get a new IP is to use the router's MAC clone feature to change your MAC to something else and reset your modem so it attaches to the new MAC. You can be creative with your MAC as long as it follows the normal MAC format and isn't a MAC that's already in-use on Charter's network. Once the modem accepts the new MAC it will use it to request a new IP from your ISP.

Wait long enough and your previous MAC/IP lease will expire. Then once you're done testing you can remove your clone and go back to using your router's stock MAC.

I don't think this is related to the IP-address at all. As far as I understand Google maintains a database over SSIDs and geographical location, to make it possible to locate devices using WiFi networks. So, the easiest way would probably be to try and change the SSID and see if the location changes, as RMerlin suggested in his first comment.

I think you are correct Nerre. I have the same issue with a Netgear 3500L when using my Apple products. iPad and iPhone on wifi think I'm in NC. Using a new Westell Homecloud DHM router and all is well. Apple keeps a record of wifi units for GPS location assist. Lots of people have this issue, some get misreported into another country even..

I think It is a great problem for any charter of yacht and as I know it always happened when wireless network not connected with the server you should check your internet and do it with a great apps that can show you geo location .Thank you

I think It is a great problem for any charter of yacht and as I know it always happened when wireless network not connected with the server you should check your internet and do it with a great apps that can show you geo location .Thank you

This thing is widely known with WiFi. Wired devices do not show this phenomenon.

Isn't there an issue with Geolocation and if not named, it translates to an odd location - seem to recall seeing something about this a while back... if it didn't resolve due to Carrier's provisioning in DNS...

Dot marks Bolivar, MO...

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 5.20.42 PM.png

Skyhook used to and still may provide location services for certain apps. They have a website where you can register the mac address of the wireless channel of your router (different than the LAN router mac address). Based on this I sometimes wonder if Google is doing this automatically when I'm on my home wireless network and pull up Google maps which turns on gps for a more precise location.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/submit-access-point

"Skyhook uses Wi-Fi access point details to help provide location to apps and devices, especially in dense urban areas or indoors.

If you’re getting incorrect location results, filling out the form below could resolve this issue. Submitting the form will update your Wi-Fi access point information in the Skyhook database.
"

Google does their own - Skyhook has partnered with a number of companies to provide WiFi triangulation...

NB It's not the SSID that skyhook and I'm sure Google use - its the "Wi-Fi’s MAC address and it’s location" as per skyhook link above, SSIDs too easy to change, and variable length - much easier to store MACs in database! If you use an mobile app such as "Wifi Analyzer" on Android it gives the SSID and the MAC address of all networks in range, and uses the MAC to tell what manufacturer of device.

If you are on a satellite service, it can be quite funny...I live in Hawaii but they think I live in MO or LA or...it varies. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!