What's new

getting better wifi speed from/to nas using wifi adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrex

Occasional Visitor
my current laptop is from 2012 and the wlan is abit slow, 300mbps (5GHz). i get wifi speed around 20-24 MB/s between my laptop and the nas (wd dl2100). Not bad at all, but could be better when moving large files (GBs).

i was thinking about dlink dwa-192 adapter (5/2,4GHz : 1300/600) to connect it via usb3 to get better wifi speed. i quess the actual connection speed is around 600mbps (5GHz/1300), halve from the theoretical. ??

so.. is it even possible to get wifi speed around 50-70 MB/s?

dl2100 has wd red drives (raid1)
laptop has ssd
router: ac87u
cat5e/6

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you should be able to realistically get ~700Mbit wirelessly with 802.11ac.

Just for comparison, I just ran 2 iperf tests between my Nexus 9 and a wired client on my RT-N66U's (802.11n) network and got ~207Mbit.

i get wifi speed around 20-24 MB/s between my laptop and the nas (wd dl2100).

believe it or not thats pretty dam good for 5 gig 300M

but could be better when moving large files (GBs).
then you need to move up to wireless AC for your router and wireless adapter

i was thinking about dlink dwa-192 adapter
as long as your laptop has usb 3 port the death star dwa-192 should give you above 40MB/s to a wireless router that is also 1300M on 5 gig
i quess the actual connection speed is around 600mbps (5GHz/1300), halve from the theoretical. ??

see above

n
so.. is it even possible to get wifi speed around 50-70 MB/s?
not with the dlink

you would expect speeds of 50MB/s plus with a pce wireless adapter like the asus pce-ac68

router: ac87u
so this is good but the dwa-192 is a bit limited as my testing max it out with the 87u at about 40MB/s

but if your stuck with usb 3 then the dwa-192 is atm as good as it gets

pete

Yeah, you should be able to realistically get ~700Mbit wirelessly with 802.11ac.
in the real world with windows transfers which i assume the OP is referring to

the max throughput i got at 3 feet when testing with an asus pce-ac68 and netgear r7000 was

read 62.5 MB/s write 39.4 MB/s

further reference see

wireless AC device coverage comparison
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2384995

as i said the dlink dwa-192 is about 20% less throughput wise

the OP cant use a pce adapter because its a laptop , so unless he can fine a mini pce adapter for his laptop thats 1300M 5 gig and his laptop has 3 antennas the dlink dwa-192 is about as good as it gets for a laptop

thanks for the answers!

yeah, no other options than usb3 to add another wlan to my laptop (Asus zenbook u500vz / Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 ... dont know about antennas though.)

so this is good but the dwa-192 is a bit limited as my testing max it out with the 87u at about 40MB/s

that sounds abit disappointing.. i was expecting better speed.

for a reference, my mbpr has a linkspeed around 900-1000mbps between ac87u and the laptop. the transfer speed to the nas is around 50MB/s and from the nas around 78MB/s.

Last edited:
for a reference, my mbpr has a linkspeed around 900-1000mbps between ac87u and the laptop. the transfer speed to the nas is around 50MB/s and from the nas around 78MB/s.
yes for some reason i could never work out mac stuff always reports higher speeds that that over windows , my results are all windows based

yes for some reason i could never work out mac stuff always reports higher speeds that that over windows , my results are all windows based

I think maybe how it's reported - on a mix of large/small files, I don't notice that much difference between Mac/Windows/Linux - sometimes one might be a bit faster, another the other is...

To get a really good feel - one would have to time it with a stopwatch and then calculate the bits back...

my current laptop is from 2012 and the wlan is abit slow, 300mbps (5GHz). i get wifi speed around 20-24 MB/s between my laptop and the nas (wd dl2100). Not bad at all, but could be better when moving large files (GBs).

i was thinking about dlink dwa-192 adapter (5/2,4GHz : 1300/600) to connect it via usb3 to get better wifi speed. i quess the actual connection speed is around 600mbps (5GHz/1300), halve from the theoretical. ??

Maybe consider getting a 2-stream 11ac card - Intel has SKU's for both Mini-PCI (likely what you have) and M2-NGFF, however 2012 is a might be early for M2 cards...

I think maybe how it's reported

prob right , the app i use eg metworx speed meter gives me an average speed over the life of the transfer and thats how i report it , perhaps the macs just report max throughput

im not very good at this.. could someone verify if i am checking them right?

which i need:
- 2 adapters for current antennas: this one
- new card: 7260 pdf, e.g. : amazon. 7260xxx (i think xxx should be HMW?)

this is the current one: 6235 pdf

i found a another pic from the card u500vz has:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/37_wlan_02.jpg

- screwdriver: T5 "Asus uses Torx screws, which require a special T5 screwdriver."

comparing: http://ark.intel.com/compare/75439,66890

Edit. let see what happens... just ordered them. =}

Last edited:
the card arrived (connectors/adapters still missing) but i used a tape to connect them for the time getting those adapters... anyway...

the linkspeed is near the rooter 867mbps and transfer r/w is 49-50 MBps =)

links speed is dropping fast though when you are further from the router. couple of meters away and the linkspeed is dropped already to 300mbps :/ could be the reason that antennas are not really connected well, only touching the plugs...

adapters didnt fit, so i have no idea about the right adapters... anyway, i open them alittle bit to able to use them... the linkspeed is around 700-867 between the laptop and the router (2-3 meters). =}