What's new

Getting invalid IP address message trying to set DNS using ASUSCOMM.com from AC66U tethered to android cell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GRan

New Around Here
Newbie at FTP. Is it even possible to setup FTP from AC66U when using USB tethering of cell phone to provide internet?
Thanks

Can you remove the "How To" prefix from your title please as you are asking a question not publishing a how-to guide. Thanks.

Does FTP work if you just use the router's (tethered) IP address rather than trying to setup a DDNS entry? Is your phone actually giving you a public IP address?

Can you remove the "How To" prefix from your title please as you are asking a question not publishing a how-to guide. Thanks.

Does FTP work if you just use the router's (tethered) IP address rather than trying to setup a DDNS entry? Is your phone actually giving you a public IP address?
It looks like the "How To" has already been fixed for me, or more of my ignorance is showing ;). CanYouSeeMe.org gives me an IP address that pings, should I be able to ping port 21 that I have forwarded?

CanYouSeeMe.org gives me an IP address that pings, should I be able to ping port 21 that I have forwarded?
Is the address shown by canyouseeme the same address shown on the router at Network Map > Internet Status > WAN IP?

No it isn't. Would the IP shown by canyouseeme be the IP of the cell phone? Should I be trying to ping the IP address shown in the router for the WAN IP?
Thanks for the help!!

It's likely that the address shown by canyouseeme is a server operated by the cell phone company and your router is getting a NAT address, e.g. 192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 100.x.x.x. If that's the case then you will not be able to access your router from the internet (which I'm guessing is what the DDNS error message is telling you).

Unfortunately :( you are exactly correct! Thanks for confirming what I suspected, just didn't know the specific reasons. Was hoping to be able to connect to view/download security camera footage from 250 miles away. My internet connection is cell phone over ASUS router on both ends.
Thanks again

Some security cameras have the option to upload their videos to a server on the internet where they can be accessed (usually with a phone app).

Thanks! Will look into that. But first I am going to try to get the old cameras to send me an email if motion is detected, supposedly they are capable of doing that. I just don't know if that will work through the ASUS/cell phone connection either. I tried a cellular trail camera but got thousands of pictures with tumble weeds and whirlwinds and could never get the PIR sensor sensitivity low enough.

Once you find the updated driver, follow the installation prompts. Some devices are tricky and include drivers you’ll need to install. If you download a driver that isn’t self-installing, try this:

1. Make sure you’re logged in as an administrator.
  2. Open Device Manager. (To get there, click Start, Control Panel, System and Security, Device Manager.)
  3. In the hardware list, find the device you’d like to update.
  4. Double click that device’s name.
  5. Click on the Driver tab.
  6. Click Update Driver, and then follow the prompts.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!