What's new

Getting Parallels or Fusion VM into QVS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wchpitt

Occasional Visitor
If you are wanting to get your Parallels VM off of your MAC and into QVS, open Windows in Parallels and download and install XenConvert.
http://www.citrix.com/go/products/xenserver/xenserver-xenconvert-free.html
Run XenConvert and select from your WinVer to OVF and make sure you have enough space on your Virtual Disk to save the file. Copy the OVF from the Win-VM to the NAS. Open QVS and the OVF will then import directly into QVS as a new VM.

If your running fusion, even easier. Just select your vmwarevm file and select the vmx file and import.

Both methods tested successfully with both Win7Ultx64 and Win8.1x64 importing into Virtualization Station on a TS-451 running 4.1.1 with 4GB RAM.

Thanks. Are you happy with the performance of vitualized Windows on your 451?

Have you tried to connect USB devices? I read that the current Virtualization Station only supports USB2.

Re: "happy with the performance"

Thanks. Are you happy with the performance of vitualized Windows on your 451?

Have you tried to connect USB devices? I read that the current Virtualization Station only supports USB2.

I was not, but not entirely the units fault. I am running a UTM Gateway on the device as well. I upgraded to the x53 series so now with 4 cores and 8GB ram I am getting done what I need to. I am still struggling with the QNAP acting as an RSYNC target or a RTRR FTP pull backup device as well. I am able to perform identical backups from my ReadyNAS PRO to a Synology successfully and have the same tasks fail between the ReadyNAS and the QNAP.
Im using
1 core and 2GB for UTM
1 core and 4GB for Win7
It is all working smoothly, just still sorting out other issues with the QNAP.
The QNAP email/helpdesk support is less than thrilling as well.

I was not, but not entirely the units fault. I am running a UTM Gateway on the device as well. I upgraded to the x53 series so now with 4 cores and 8GB ram I am getting done what I need to. I am still struggling with the QNAP acting as an RSYNC target or a RTRR FTP pull backup device as well. I am able to perform identical backups from my ReadyNAS PRO to a Synology successfully and have the same tasks fail between the ReadyNAS and the QNAP.
Im using
1 core and 2GB for UTM
1 core and 4GB for Win7
It is all working smoothly, just still sorting out other issues with the QNAP.
The QNAP email/helpdesk support is less than thrilling as well.
I saw a thread about rsync issues with a readynas. I guess that was you... Interesting as I also have an older x86 readynas I'd like to use as a backup destination.

I was torn between the Ts-453 with 8GB or the Ts-470 Pro with 16GB ram. Eaegis has the 470 pro with 16GB for $999.

It's a tossup as one has 4 true cores but the other has more power per core. Neither has aes-ni so that blows. I also like the 470 pro has esata ports.

Last edited:
Re: Using older x86 ReadyNAS as backup target

Using the old x86 as the target may prove non problematic.

ReadyNAS as the primary data store:
RSYNC Push backup from ReadyNAS to QNAP as target fails.
RTRR FTP Pull from ReadyNAS to QNAP as taget fails.

RSYNC Push backup from ReadyNAS to Synology as target works.

HOWEVER... with either the QNAP or the Synology as the primary datastore and the ReadyNAS as the target with a RSYNC Pull configured on the ReadyNAS:

RSYNC PULL backup from a Synology or QNAP to ReadyNAS works.

There is some silly file setting or attribute I am missing on the QNAP or just a bug in the system... but to date I have not been able to sort out the issue. QNAP support just offers to remote in but since the error occurs long into the backup and the logs are not exactly revealing, I am not sure what they hope to find.

Using the old x86 as the target may prove non problematic.

ReadyNAS as the primary data store:
RSYNC Push backup from ReadyNAS to QNAP as target fails.
RTRR FTP Pull from ReadyNAS to QNAP as taget fails.

RSYNC Push backup from ReadyNAS to Synology as target works.

HOWEVER... with either the QNAP or the Synology as the primary datastore and the ReadyNAS as the target with a RSYNC Pull configured on the ReadyNAS:

RSYNC PULL backup from a Synology or QNAP to ReadyNAS works.

There is some silly file setting or attribute I am missing on the QNAP or just a bug in the system... but to date I have not been able to sort out the issue. QNAP support just offers to remote in but since the error occurs long into the backup and the logs are not exactly revealing, I am not sure what they hope to find.
Thanks. Since I would use my readynas as the target (dest) I should be OK.

What errors you are getting? Have you upgraded your readynas to latest firmware?

Last edited: