What's new

Getting root access to SMC SMCNAS02

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mahfiaz

New Around Here
Upgrade your device with the attached file. This will set the device's root password to "123". Then you can ssh into your box.
Update file is a bz2-d cpio archive, script file "update" from this archive will be run with root privileges. This script usually takes care of copying files into place etc. Now it simply changes contents of /etc/passwd file.

Some details about the system:
SMC TigerStore 2BAY Network Attached Storage SMCNAS02 - NAS server
It runs MontaVista(R) Linux(R) Professional Edition 4.0.1 (0502020).
Processor : ARM926EJ-Sid(wb) rev 5 (v5l),
BogoMIPS : 124.51,
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
Mem: 45576K used, 15952K free (default settings)

Over smb (100Mbit network) I got 8.4 Mb/s while copying 800Mb file.

Edit: I deleted more junk from this script, now it is neater. And since SMCNAS04 uses the exact same firmware, it should work there as well. No warranty, though. Also, don't be shy, report back if you are successful or not.

Attachments

• SMCNAS02_Reset_root_password_2.zip
    1 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Any updates on SMC NAS02 software

I experience regualrly that my NAS freezes and can no longer be accessed over the network. Especially if I put some torrent files in the torrent directory. Could this be due to MLDonkey? As the last firmware is of April 2008, is there a way to upgrade?:confused:

Firmware

Look to China for the newest that I have found, version 2.1.
Not sure if it is the same for the 02, but I would think so, OS seems the same.

My SMCNAS04 still freezes with this firmware when copying a lot of data from a USB disk. I skip a file in Win7 and it continues, afterwards I can add the missing file(s).

I get 11MB/s from my USB disk, i'm sure my SSD can produce more.

Cheers

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with SMCNAS04. Thanks for the info on v2.1 firmware.

Does the above patch ( SMCNAS02_Reset_root_password.zip ) work for SMCNAS04 ?

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with SMCNAS04. Thanks for the info on v2.1 firmware.

Does the above patch ( SMCNAS02_Reset_root_password.zip ) work for SMCNAS04 ?
It should. Whatever it turns out to be, let us know.

troholm, if you ssh into the box, then while coping you can see using ´top´, what is the problem, does the memory run out, is cpu fully utilized or is it something else.

To use the supplied password reset file, you extract the file and upload it as firmware. My system not reachable by SSH with the root password 123.

I used smb/samba with linux, which doesn't quite seem to siffer from the performance issues. Might be a signing problem. Will test some copying fron Ubuntu Linux later.

My SMC OS Info:root@SMCNAS04:~# uname -a
Linux SMCNAS04 2.6.10_mvl401_AG_NAS_V2.1 #70 Sat Jul 12 20:35:09 CST 2008 armv5tejl unknown

Login info:Linux SMCNAS04 2.6.10_mvl401_AG_NAS_V2.1 #70 Sat Jul 12 20:35:09 CST 2008 armv5tejl unknown

Welcome to MontaVista(R) Linux(R) Professional Edition 4.0.1 (0502020).

Let me get back to you guys after some more testing.

Cheers

Last edited:
FTP rocks

It is true.
Well, it is common knowledge (I think) that ftp outperforms SMB.
And it really does.
Do between 30-50MB/s transferring to the SMCNAS04 Tigerstore with FireZilla, there's one unmanaged 8p SMC Gbit switch between us.
Filezilla is using 2 threads.
There is still of functionality not working as I should, but as a filestore NAS, i think it is looking good.
As I mentioned the lockups might be happening because of SMB signing, as I saw no performance degredation when using my Ubuntu Linux with XMBC.
I tried to add another directory to the media server, but scanning just seems of fail.

Good luck to you all.

Let me know if you find some good software for this box :)

Cheers

Using 4x 2 TB WD20EADS Disks in SMCs SMCNAS04

Hi together,

thanks to mahfiaz root access I was able to fix some issues with the SMCNAS:

Starting point was: SMCNAS04 with Firmware 2.1 from SMC-ASIA running with 4x 1.5 TB Seagate Disks in a RAID5 configuration!

Target was: Getting the stuff running with 4x 2 TB WD20EADS disks in a Raid 5 configuration.

To state it clear:
*** THE FOLLOWING SOLUTION MIGHT NOT BE RUNNING ON OTHER SMCNAS04 DEVICES OR IN OTHER CONSTELLATION! ***
*** THE FOLLOWING STUFF IS NOTHING FOR BEGINNERS! BE WARNED! THIS IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL! ***

Common Questions:

Q 1: What happened if I simply replace one functioning disk by a new one?
A: It take a long time (1 week) and afterwards you will have a RAID5 with 3x 1.5 TB net using 4x 2.0 TB disks

Q 2: Is it possible to expand the RAID 5 from Q 1?
A: NO! Or better said, I didn't find any solution for it, maybe there is a way, but I couldn't find it.

Q 3: What happened if I just make a backup of all my RAID-data and try to install the new 2 TB disks from scratch by using the zerodisk-configurator?
A: Making a backup is the starting point at all, but nevertheless, the zerodisk-configurator must fail!

Q 4: Why is the zerodisk-configuration failing with huge hard disks?
A: The assumption during the installation was, a DOS partition table can be used, which - for linux systems - must fail for raid sizes greater 4 TB

Q 5: Will I loose my data from the first installation?
A: If you don't backup you data YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA!

Q 6: Will this work with disks > 2TB?
A: Honestly, I do not know: Try it and report it (when I'll try it first, I'll report it to you)

Q 6: Is there a fast failback solution if my disks won't work?
A: Yes there is, but you should have a separate backup at all.

That's the frontup information I had after this weekend. Let's start the tour:

Prerequisites:
----------------

1. A running SMCNAS with firmware 2.x
2. A copy of the zeroboot firmware image matching the installed firmware (see smc-asia downloads)
3. A running WINDOWS PC (best with XP) with
- installed SMC installer
- installed ssh client (e.g. putty)
4. The new 4 disks (all should be of the same type and size and must be SATA-2 NOT SATA-3 and should be completely empty)

Step 1: MAKE A RELIABLE BACKUP OF YOU DATA!

Step 2: Shut your SMCNAS off by pressing the front power switch and wait until the box shuts off.

Step 3: Remove all of your installed disks one by one and mark the original position of the disks and keep them apart (If anything goes wrong: with these disks you may be able to recover, as the base montavista linux system is already installed on these disks -> see below)

Step 4: Insert all of your new disks (here 4x 2TB WD20EADS-00R6B0) into the SMCNAS.

Step 5: Press the reset button (back side) and HOLD AND POWER ON AND WAIT for 15 seconds. This will start the initial zerodisk boot.

Step 6: Start the discovery tool on the windows PC. If you hadn't a DHCP server before, now it would be helpful to start one...:
- Go to the RAID-configuration page
- of the login won't work (bug with cookies), don't worry, we just need the health information here
- It should find all of your 4 disks and should say RAID 5 healthy with about 6 TB

Step 7: Use your ssh client to connect to the NAS as root (no password during zeroboot! Many thanks to SMC!)

Step 8: Deaktivate all RAID mounts:
>umount /dev/rdea2
>umount /dev/rdea3

Step 9: Delete previous boot information:
>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdea count=256

Step 10: Set partition table information, due to a bug it must be done in the following matter:
>parted /dev/rdea
>>mklabel msdos
>>quit

Step 11; setup partition information the following partition must not be changed:
>parted /dev/rdea
>>mklabel gpt
>>mkpart primary 840s 263759s
>>mkpart primary 263760s 17040975s

Now you new data partition comes here:
>>mkpart primary 17040976s 5990GB
>>quit

Step 12: format the new partitions (except the boot one):
>mke2fs -j -O none /dev/rdea2
>tune2fs -e remount-ro -i 0 /dev/rdea2
now your data partition:
>mkfs.xfs -f /dev/rdea3

Step 13: mount the os partition (for zerodisk update image) and the data partition:
>mount /dev/rdea2 /storage/rdea2
>mkdir /storage/rdea3
>mount /dev/rdea3 /storage/rdea3

Step 14: control you partition sizes with:
>df -h
it should be for rdea3 about the raid net size

NOW YOU ARE READY TO RUMBLE:

Step 15: upgrade/update the zeroboot image using the webinterface. It should now install and 30 minutes later it should reboot.

FINAL STEP: If the reboot was successful login with admin/smcadmin and it should show your new raid size on "data utilization: 0/5.5T"!

WARNING: Before you begin to use your new RAID please reboot it for the first time (if there are any problems with your configuration the reboot will show!)

Now you are done! You may now configure your users and shares and restore the backup'd data from step 1.

RECOVERY: Shut off the NAS and insert the previous disks from step 3 into the same slots back and power on! You should be back on your old configuration!

WHY? The zeroboot configuration scripts assume a dos partition handler which cannot handle huge partitions. But thanks to SMC: they used a linux kernel which is already gpt aware. If someone has enough time he might change the update script to the method above and this might be a way for noobs as well.

Hopefully that helps. I'd be glad to hear from your migration projects...

regards

Gery

Last edited:
2.1 firmware

Hello,

does anyone still have the 2.1 firmware? it looks it has been removed from the asian website :(

thanks!

got it.
now the problem, i cant get configuration work correcty where no configuration option for raid settings, please can some help me?

I have put the extracted .brz2 in the firmware folder, however when i load the utility page, I cant see any option to upgrade it. So far the only firmware that SMC provided online was AG_NAS-2.7.0.0319.cpio, but the upgrade failed at 2%. Stucked at this stage

Hi everyone. I have a nas04 smc which I haven't used in a long time. And now I'm starting to want to reassemble it. but the problem is I lost the firmware CD. I have tried to download the firmware version 2.1. But in fact I can't use it. If there are friends who all have firmware v2.0. please give me. Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!