What's new

Getting seamless wireless in old home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tkn

New Around Here
I am currently living in an old home where wireless barely penetrates everywhere. Our router is on the second floor on one end of the house, and even on the other side of that floor, I can't get a connection on my phone.

Current setup is cable modem -> Almond+ router -> TPLink powerline adapter

Then one TPLink wireless adapter on the other side of that middle floor and a couple of TPlink wired connections placed near media center, etc.

It is barely functional in this house on any floor. The powerline adapters seems to be kind of slow and drop connection periodically. The wireless works in some rooms and not others.

So I am willing to do a decent amount of what it takes to get it working. Do I need to roam around the house with a wifi strength tool mapping everything and then buy a bunch of Cisco or Aruba routers? I am renting so I can't really run new ethernet through the walls as much as I would like to...

Or alternatively, is there anyone in the Bay area that does small scale IT type consulting for this kind of thing?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!