What's new

Gigabit router with 3G/LTE failover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

globalist

Occasional Visitor
My ISP is crap and I really need a new router that can fail over to a 3G/LTE USB dongle (Huawei E5xxx something something) connection when the main connectivity is not available. Gigabit LAN ports would be very welcome, wireless capabilities are not a necessity.

So far I've found these two candidates:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/rv130-vpn-router/index.html - read quite a few bad user reviews, but not much more real world info available. Can get it for 75EUR.

http://movingwifi.com/dovado-pro-ac - quite a bit more expensive, but seems to be a more solid choice? Plus it has wifi if I ever need it...

Can anyone please advise, or maybe offer some other options? Many thanks!

definitely not the cisco rv, those bad reviews are real and its because the router sucks at what its made for.

many routers even consumer ones with a usb port can actually do failover. Some do it in stock firmware, some require a 3rd party firmeware like openwrt. ASUS i know supports usb dongle via failover.

many other routers even mikrotik can do failover too but it requires skill to configure, same with ubiquiti and pfsense.

So look at the consumer ones first, make sure the CPU is fast enough though for the speeds you will be using.

The best 3G/4G router that can handel failovers that i have tested is the DOVADO PRO AC, support the most 3G/4G modems of all routers there is out there.

I ended up getting the Dovado AC Pro, and it does do failover it just takes too long for my taste to kick in and back out of it. But overall I'm quite satisfied with the performance of this router and especially the level of support the manufacturer provides.