What's new

Gigabit Speed...Not Happening

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radar2000

Occasional Visitor
I have recently switched to my ISP's new Gigabit speed package and can't hit the advertised up to 1 Gigabit download speed.

Here's what I've tested with:

- Gigabit Modem CGNM-3552
- Cat 5e cable
- HP Spectre x360 laptop (fairly new)
- USB 3.0 to Ehternet adapter (because my laptop does not have an ethernet port)

By testing directly from the modem via Cat 5e cable to my laptop via USB 3.0 to Ehternet adapter, I'm only getting 350/400 down and 35 up.

I called my ISP's tech support and they sent out a tier 2 tech support person to my home. Following the same hardwire test as I mentioned above, he plugged into his old Lenovo laptop and was able to achieve 700+ down and 45+ up!

Any suggestions on what I should check on my laptop? I've emailed HP asking them to confirm if my laptop is Gigabit speed ready or if there are any updates that need to be applied to accept these speeds...still waiting to hear back from them.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have recently switched to my ISP's new Gigabit speed package and can't hit the advertised up to 1 Gigabit download speed.

Here's what I've tested with:

- Gigabit Modem CGNM-3552
- Cat 5e cable
- HP Spectre x360 laptop (fairly new)
- USB 3.0 to Ehternet adapter (because my laptop does not have an ethernet port)

By testing directly from the modem via Cat 5e cable to my laptop via USB 3.0 to Ehternet adapter, I'm only getting 350/400 down and 35 up.

I called my ISP's tech support and they sent out a tier 2 tech support person to my home. Following the same hardwire test as I mentioned above, he plugged into his old Lenovo laptop and was able to achieve 700+ down and 45+ up!

Any suggestions on what I should check on my laptop? I've emailed HP asking them to confirm if my laptop is Gigabit speed ready or if there are any updates that need to be applied to accept these speeds...still waiting to hear back from them.

Cheers!
could be the chipset, drivers, or the adapter.

It is the USB Ethernet adaptor. The overhead associated with USB is taking it's toll (predictably).

USB 3.0 and lower has too much overhead for anything that needs a continuous and steady flow of data, particularly at the GbE level of performance that you need.

I wouldn't wait for any updates or drivers to fix this. A new laptop with a real LAN port is the 'solution' here.

It is the USB Ethernet adaptor. The overhead associated with USB is taking it's toll (predictably).

USB 3.0 and lower has too much overhead for anything that needs a continuous and steady flow of data, particularly at the GbE level of performance that you need.

I wouldn't wait for any updates or drivers to fix this. A new laptop with a real LAN port is the 'solution' here.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately a new laptop is out of the question, as I just bought this a month ago. I tried the same test on my old Sony Vaio with a LAN port and still had the same results. I think I do agree that it's the so called Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter that is causing the bottleneck in speed.

Cheers!

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately a new laptop is out of the question, as I just bought this a month ago. I tried the same test on my old Sony Vaio with a LAN port and still had the same results. I think I do agree that it's the so called Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter that is causing the bottleneck in speed.

Cheers!
What is the nominal port speed for the Sony - 1000 or 100 mbit ?
What other ports do you have on the HP ?
Are you using a type A or the type C port ?

If you stay with the same isp under contract they may let you bump down to a slower tier and less cost.

Nothing wrong with 350 mbit down, btw. Should do just fine for multiple streaming sessions or gaming.

Last edited:
45 up :O. thats a horrible ratio. What use is a gigabit connection if you cant make full use of it.

Regarding the usb adapter it sounds like as if it is working on usb2 instead. Usb2 has a speed of 480Mb/s and you're getting about 400Mb/s download. Make sure its a usb3 port and operating under usb3 instead of usb2.

While usb has its overheads many chipsets handle the overhead instead of the CPU.

It would help if you mention:
Your CPU
Your chipset
Your usb3 (or if its part of the chipset).

Some brands are known to work poorly while some work well. Even if its realtek i would expect it to achieve a significant speed. Even though realtek is minimalistic in hardware and puts load on CPU it doesnt matter as even with a slower CPU with x86 it still achieves significant performance.