What's new

GigaPower - VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ghaperlordan

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm switching to Gigapower from cable in a few days. I'm looking for some options regarding VPN performance.
Today, I have the following performance
w/o VPN I get about 136 Mbps
w/ VPN I get about 36 Mbps using a network OpenVPN client
w/ VPN I get about 74 Mbps using the mac OpenVPN client
I've seen for example an accelerator that advertises network performance similar to the dedicated client on my mac, but this performance is still below what I'm getting in line performance.
Since I am moving to Gigapower, I would like to attain as much of the performance a gigabit line has to offer in a network VPN connection. Therefore, I'm looking for options that are available which I can utilize as much of this line's performance as possible.

I don't know quite well but Express vpn is on of the fastest vpn service. You can check that.

Hi,

I'm switching to Gigapower from cable in a few days. I'm looking for some options regarding VPN performance.
Today, I have the following performance
w/o VPN I get about 136 Mbps
w/ VPN I get about 36 Mbps using a network OpenVPN client
w/ VPN I get about 74 Mbps using the mac OpenVPN client
I've seen for example an accelerator that advertises network performance similar to the dedicated client on my mac, but this performance is still below what I'm getting in line performance.
Since I am moving to Gigapower, I would like to attain as much of the performance a gigabit line has to offer in a network VPN connection. Therefore, I'm looking for options that are available which I can utilize as much of this line's performance as possible.

You have two challenges:

1. You need the hardware that can process the encryption that won't slow your connection down. I use a VPN accelerator and get at least 95% of my ISP's stated rate plus over provisioning. I have Comcasts 75/10 package and running the VPN on my accelerator I get 85/11. Without the VPN I would get slightly higher throughput. I have no idea what the maximum throughput potential of my VPN hardware is.

2. The tougher issue will be to find a VPN provider that has the backbone connections and who will give you the connection speeds you need to get speeds above fast Ethernet levels given that most VPN providers charge $6 - $10 monthly.

Thank you for the information.

I had AT&T GigaPower Installed and from my Mac VPN client app, I average 106 Mbps download and 134 Mbps upload speeds. I use PrivateInternetAccess.

So, for the network, given that I add the VPN accelerator, I should get similar speeds.

Now I need to figure out, how I can have a VPN line and a non-VPN line running at the same time. I need this to run Netflix through the non-VPN line.