What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A silly question maybe, but does it matter what length of RG6 coax cable I use? I'm planning to use a short 3' cable to hook up the GoCoax adapter to wall jack.

A silly question maybe, but does it matter what length of RG6 coax cable I use? I'm planning to use a short 3' cable to hook up the GoCoax adapter to wall jack.
You can use a very long RG6 coax, because the cable has very limited attenuation. 3' is defiantly not an issue.

Does these have the same flaw that the Actiontec ECB6200 adapters have where they give great Upload speeds but about 1/3 Download speeds? See MY THREAD for more info and test results.

Does these have the same flaw that the Actiontec ECB6200 adapters have where they give great Upload speeds but about 1/3 Download speeds? See MY THREAD for more info and test results.
Very interesting test result.
1, For the upload/download issue. have you exchange the tested PC's position. such as if the server is connected to your router and the client is connected to the MoCA adapter. Try to connect the server to the MoCA adapter and connect the client to router. Exchange them physically, not just changing the command of iperf.
2, For the speed decreasing issue, maybe it is related to heat issue. Actiontec is using MoCA chip from Broadcom. Heat is a common issue for Broadcom chips.
Our product is based on MaxLinear, not Broadcom. We have did such test for a long time, didn't find such issue. One important thing, the performance of iperf is related to your PC's performance. Make sure you are using a powerful enough computer.
One more thing, now you can try iperf3.7.

I bought two of the goCoax adapters and the performance is fantastic. We have AT&T Fiber 1 Gbps service.

Here's the network layout:
  1. Basic context: two bedroom condo
  2. The fiber drop is at the entertainment center nook in the living room. So the AT&T ONT is there, as well as their provided wireless router, the BGW210-700 – not sure why they provide it but it seems to be required. Maybe it's a combo router/modem gateway? (Though I thought the ONT was the equivalent of a modem...)
  3. goCoax adapter #1 is plugged into the AT&T router via Cat 6* and the wall via coax.
  4. goCoax adapter #2 is in the spare bedroom/office, plugged into a TP-Link 4-port switch via Cat 6, and the wall via coax.
  5. Desktop PC is plugged into that switch, as is the printer, second TV, and second Blu-ray player.
Speed at my desktop PC in the spare bedroom is consistently 900+ Mbps down, and 920+ Mbps up.

Interesting tidbit: I have yet to find my coax point of entry (POE). I've looked all over and can't find it. This being a condo makes it more complicated. So the above performance is with me still not having found the POE, no MoCA filter installed, and no MoCA-compatible replacement splitter. There must be a splitter at the POE, and it's presumably MoCA-compatible (passes up to 2,000 MHz signals) since MoCA is working. I was ready to install both a filter and a replacement splitter, but it proved unnecessary. Funnily enough, I only discovered that we had fiber because I was looking for the coax POE and stumbled on a suspicious, blank wall plate – I had no idea AT&T Fiber was available and already physically installed (!)

* I habitually buy and use Cat 6 at this point, even for patch cables, because it's so cheap to do so. Cat 6 was of course unnecessary here for gigabit speeds. But it barely costs more than Cat 5e, and a few years down the road when I'm rocking 2.5GBASE-T or 10GBASE-T I want all my random pile o' Ethernet cables to be Cat 6.

Last edited:
Hi, so I set up my GoCoax adapters but I’m having a problem. The power light comes in and the LAN light blinks but the MOCA light doesn’t light up and I can’t get an internet connection.

Hi, so I set up my GoCoax adapters but I’m having a problem. The power light comes in and the LAN light blinks but the MOCA light doesn’t light up and I can’t get an internet connection.
Hello John, could you connect the two MoCA adapters directly via a short coaxial cable, to check the adapters can work or not?
If you have further issue, please write email to us. support@gocoax.com

If we have multiple ones, I am assuming we have to connect directly to each one to install the firmware?
Yes - just change default IP addresses on the GoCoax adapters to match your local LAN for easier access...

Last edited:
What latencies are people getting with these? I'm thinking added latency between the bridges.

I had some MoCA 1.1 bridges from Netgear eralier, I saw around 5-12ms extra compared to being connected to the router directly.

What latencies are people getting with these? I'm thinking added latency between the bridges.

I had some MoCA 1.1 bridges from Netgear eralier, I saw around 5-12ms extra compared to being connected to the router directly.

pinging my router, 3-4ms. Connecting directly to router, 1 ms

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!