What's new

Going Round in Never Decreasing Circles.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VPN Woes

New Around Here
I have DD-WRT router configured as OpenVPN connected to a Billion 7800DXL modem/router that provides the internet gateway. I cannot get the DD-WRT router to link to the Private Internet Access gateway in the UK. My theory is that the DD-WRT router and Billion modem/router are in conflict somehow but as networking is a black art to me (grin) I am at a loss. Any and all help/pointers/hints/incantations gratefully received.

If any further info required I am happy to oblige. I really cannot believe that this should be so difficult.

Verbose network description is:-

The main internet gateway is via the Billion 7800DXL modem/router. This device also serves all of the PCs and other ethernet cabled devices in the premises via a network of cat6 cables and unmanaged switches. Although the Billion modem/router has two secured wireless networks on each frequency band, those networks are, generally, unused except for guests on the "Guest" networks and for portable hand held deveices - smartphones and the like - on the non-guest networks.

Connected to this Billion modem/router via cat6 cable, powerline and a single switch is the DD-WRT router. This switch also hosts some of the other cable attached devices so it is not dedicated to the DD-WRT router.

My various wireless networks (all secured) are as follows:-

Via the Billion modem/router -

Two SSIDs on the 2.4 Ghz band, one for all normal users, one designated 'Guest'
Two SSIDs on the 5 Ghz band, one for all normal users, one designated 'Guest'

Via the DD-WRT OpenVPN router two SSIDs, one on the 2.4 Ghz band and one on the 5 Ghz band both labelled 'VPN'.

There is only one permanently attached device to the DD-WRT router and that is a Chromecast on the 2.4 Ghz band.

All testing is carried out on the 2.4 Ghz band. To test the link on the 2.4 Ghz band I am using a smartphone.

From the Billion modem/router all wireless bands connect to the internet without issue.
From the DD-WRT OpenVPN router there is no internet access.

A cold start of the modem/router did not resolve this internet access problem.

An observation. When I had finished the configuration of the DD-WRT router and re-booted it all internet connectivity was lost. After several attempts trying different things, the internet connection resumed only after I had turned off the DD-WRT, re-booted the Billion then, when the Billion had stabilised and the internet connection was restored, restarted the DD-WRT.

Hi. The billion does not allow vpn pass thru. They want you to buy there vpn version. However if you back date your firmware to version 2.32c it should work. This problem baffled me for a while after I upgraded to the latest firmware and my vpn stopped working. Downgradeed and all was well again. Good luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!