What's new

Good router for concrete walls.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Russell

New Around Here
Hi

I have moved into an apartment that has concrete walls (it's common in Asia).

I have my old Netgear WNDR3700 running dd-wrt, but the signal seems to drop off very quickly. I am using a MacBook Pro that has 11n (450mbps max I think).

Next to the router in the same room, the link speed is 270mbps on 5ghz, dropping a little occasionally but stays well above 200mbps.

Even just a few meters through the door to the living area and the link speed drops to ~ 150mbps and on the sofa can drop down to 80mbps.

I am really noticing the slow file transfers and have to get up and move next to the router.

The Netgear has internal antennas, so I am wondering if moving to a router with external antennas would help with penetrating the walls.

Ideally I would be looking for a router capable of N450 on 5ghz as my laptop is not AC.

N routers don't seem to be updated anymore, so it looks like I would be better going for AC, but to get N450 I would need to go for AC1750? These seem quite expensive considering I won't be using AC at all.

Does anyone have experience dealing with concrete walls?

Concrete walls and 5 GHz is a bad combination. There isn't much you can do other than to move the router and client closer.

An AC router might help due to improved processor power and RF design. To get 3x3, you'd need AC1750. Fortunately, prices have dropped on those and you should be able to get one for around $100. TP-LINK's Archer C7 is a popular choice.

Agreed with thiggins on all points there.

5GHz is a bear through obstacles no matter the router. However, 11ac routers are likely to improve even 11n 5GHz performance. That said, don't expect to get one and double your speeds. Maybe a 25-50% increase if you are lucky.

25-50% faster than slow still is slow. What you might want to consider is a pair of power line adapters and a second router running in access point mode to blanket coverage.

Buy a hammer drill!
I prefer a model that supports SDS bits but it really depends on the thickness of the wall.

Given your current limitations, 5Ghz may degrade to the point where simply using 2.4Ghz would net you better throughput over all the various distances/locations in your new digs -- would 2.4 be possible, given neighboring wifi density/interference? If not, then how about powerline AV2, moca, wireless mesh, or creatively running Cat5e/6 somehow?

DeWalt & Kobalt make routers that work with carbide bits that will chew through anything.

But a drill would be your best bet.

DeWalt & Kobalt make routers that work with carbide bits that will chew through anything.

But a drill would be your best bet.
I have a Hilti TE16c that chews through foundation walls like a regular drill goes through clay.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!