What's new

Goodbye ASUS, I give up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gitsum

I've been a fan of ASUS routers for quite some time. My first one was a N66U. I loved the interface and how I could put different firmwares on it. I was a big fan of Tomato for a couple years.
I have bought every newer, bigger faster ASUS routers since then and currently have the AX88U. But as internet speeds keep getting faster and more and more devices around the house need internet, the more complicated things get.
I have been struggling for the past 2 years to have reliable routers working the way they are supposed to for my situation. I spend HOURS trouble shooting things and trying new things only to have my repeater which has crypto mining equipment hooked up to it, suddenly lose it's connection out of the blue once or twice a month.
And all the other things that haven't worked right for so long like the network map, AiMesh, etc.
So, I am getting rid of all my ASUS stuff and switching to an Ubiquity UniFI system. I think it will be a much more robust and easy to use system.
Thanks to Merlin for all your work, I have used your firmware for years, but with more of the code being closed source, things just keep irritating me when my $400 router doesn't work right.

I wish you all the best.

I have seen $2K+ wifi 'solutions' that a $200 Asus put to shame.

Each environment is different, I hope you find the solution that works best for you.

repeater which has crypto mining equipment hooked up to it, suddenly lose it's connection out of the blue once or twice a month.
Good luck. Might I suggest though that if your requirements are for true 24/7/365 operations that runing crypto mining off your router may not be the best approach. A blanket blaming of Asus for a dropped connection once or twice a month seems a bit outrageous.

I've been a fan of ASUS routers for quite some time. My first one was a N66U. I loved the interface and how I could put different firmwares on it. I was a big fan of Tomato for a couple years.
I have bought every newer, bigger faster ASUS routers since then and currently have the AX88U. But as internet speeds keep getting faster and more and more devices around the house need internet, the more complicated things get.
I have been struggling for the past 2 years to have reliable routers working the way they are supposed to for my situation. I spend HOURS trouble shooting things and trying new things only to have my repeater which has crypto mining equipment hooked up to it, suddenly lose it's connection out of the blue once or twice a month.
And all the other things that haven't worked right for so long like the network map, AiMesh, etc.
So, I am getting rid of all my ASUS stuff and switching to an Ubiquity UniFI system. I think it will be a much more robust and easy to use system.
Thanks to Merlin for all your work, I have used your firmware for years, but with more of the code being closed source, things just keep irritating me when my $400 router doesn't work right.

I don't get why people are wishing you good luck, good luck for changing router? maybe good luck for exams or a new job would make more sense right?
I am not going to wish you anything because there is not reason for it.
Most of the times the frustration is not the device's fault but totally human's fault. Your fault for not understanding simple networking principles. ASUS has absolutely nothing to do in this regard.
Go get a degree in IT, we talk later.
Most likely the connection dropouts are because you are using Dynamic addressing

I don't get why people are wishing you good luck, good luck for changing router? maybe good luck for exams or a new job would make more sense right?
Most of the times the frustration is not the device's fault but totally human's fault. Your fault for not understanding simple networking principles. ASUS has absolutely nothing to do in this regard.
Most likely the connection dropouts are because you are using Dynamic addressing

My my , you have no idea who the OP is, what his skill set or background are.

You arrive here , make 5 posts in the same vain in a matter of days .

Here is some help :

images.jpg

The "good luck" is for finding a router that works as advertised and doesn't have buggy software.

For someone who only joined this forum 9 days ago the majority of your posts are just insulting people and telling them they should "get IT qualified". If you actually spent more time on these forums you might have more of a clue.

Not only is it drop out's that are frustrating but also the "features" the router is supposed to do like keeping track of devices bandwidth usage and stats. The traffic analyzer sometimes will stop working and the speed meter things stop working also. I have to toggle "App Analysis" button off and on to get it to start working again. So when it does that, it loses a day or two of data tracking. It also can not keep track of individual clients that are connected through the repeater. I want to be able to see every device and what data they are transmitting.
I also have had bad experience using the guest wifi for several IOT devices losing connection and unable to reconnect on they're own.

Maybe consumer grade equipment is not for you. Commercial grade hardware may fulfil your requirements, but likely 10x the price.

:D Last time I saw something like that was in 1974 and it was attached to an ICL 1904E.
Last time I saw a stack like that (ca 1972) I was designing an interface for it to a proprietary minicomputer.

I think my first IBM mainframe job used disk packs kind of like that. Many many years ago.

Yup, same here. IBM Model 360's. I worked in New York then. If you Recall, we called them "Pizza Ovens" or DASD (DAZDI) drives, the 2300 series, see pic.

Attachments

• 220px-IBM2314DiskDrivesAndIBM2540CardReaderPunch.jpg
    220px-IBM2314DiskDrivesAndIBM2540CardReaderPunch.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 465
I am getting rid of all my ASUS stuff and switching to an Ubiquity UniFI system ...
Sorry to hear. I had N66Us running at three sites and upgraded them all to more current Asus technology and remain more than satisfied.

But I do understand. Some of us will outgrow a "home router".
... only to have my repeater ... suddenly lose its connection out of the blue once or twice a month.
Been there done that : -) Got a repeater and after a couple of years it started dropping a couple times a month. Instead of trouble shooting the router I bought another repeater and got a couple more years of trouble free usage. It's acting up again but this time I'm replacing with a wired wireless access point.

How's it working out with the Ubiquity UniFI?

Hi Gitsum,
Sorry to hear about your issues. But such is life. You marry, find out that there's something else around with other flaws, divorce and life goes on.

Must say that "lose it's connection out of the blue once or twice a month. And all the other things that haven't worked right for so long like the network map, AiMesh, etc." don't bother me. Not actively using the network map besides looking at who's connected. And AiMesh...No thanks. Just use old fashioned cables and AP's.

I'm sure you ascertained that the Asus was the cause of the dropouts (there's something like 'provider side connectivity' as well). But still, haven't encountered one client of mine that has a 100% uptime. They settle for some 99.7-ish. And no, they are not using Asus, but one or two drop outs a month come close to 99.7% uptime . So with consumer grade material you're not doing that bad...

Anyway, just let us know your experiences with 'some other brand', I hope they won't disappoint you. Asus is just a brand...not a religion :)

Anyway, just let us know your experiences with 'some other brand', I hope they won't disappoint you. Asus is just a brand...not a religion :)
I changed to AVM with 4 routers wired and wireless mesh and now everything is up 100% for months till next update.
Thats what a router shall do for me, nothing more or less. And it got all features I need.
For sure most members here have different needs and own scripts!
But here are only <1% Asus users and the rest most likely need the same as me - a running network without not working features.
I like HW and GUI, but all those settings have to be more than only for cosmetic purposes and their usage bringing down connectivity.