What's new

Google Home: A New Virtual Agent Announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
“Okay, Google” just got more interesting. Google introduced its entry in the home virtual agent market, Google Home, at this year’s I/O conference.

googlehomenightshot.jpg

Built around AI-inspired technology, Google Home will be competing against Amazon’s Echo, creating a stir in today’s growing virtual agent business. Using far field microphones that listen and respond to verbal commands, Home’s virtual agent can run voice activated tasks such as playing music or movies, sending text messages out, and even running Google searches, all on command . Google Home will also work in tandem with Google’s upcoming Assistant smartphone app, as well as the company’s Chromecast and Nest devices.

Slated for availability in Fall ’16, pricing for Google Home is not available at this time, however potential customers can sign up for future updates about the product at Google Home’s home page.

(Ed. Note: And no, it doesn't double as an air freshener.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not get the allure of paying for and putting a listening device with 'far field microphones' into their home and connected to google (of all companies).

Are most consumers brains on cheap ones?

This is not progress. This is a home invasion.

Aside from wanting Google's ears in your house or not, I wouldn't touch the first version of this. Wait for version 2 unless you like being a beta tester.

back in the 80s people invisioned a future home having an AI that you can talk to, touchscreens and smart home things. They never invisioned privacy issues.

I do not remember that in any way?

I do not remember that in any way?
scifi media about what future homes would be like such as skin tight clothing, flying cars, AI, voice commands in homes for various things. Dont forget star trek TNG how federation ships are when it comes to living in them.

Who in the world would want Google (aka Obama's buddy...practically lives in the White House according to visitor logs) to have an open ear into your own home? Do you really think that this will not be used against you? If so, then you will deserve what happens to you.

Does anyone remember the book "1984"? Funny how TVs already have cameras and microphones to do just what that book predicted and now this device will be able to as well.

scifi media about what future homes would be like such as skin tight clothing, flying cars, AI, voice commands in homes for various things. Dont forget star trek TNG how federation ships are when it comes to living in them.

That is not envisioning the future, that is show business. I wasn't talking about fantasy. I was asking for any real predictions for this horrid future (1984 did qualify! :).

The lack of an open API is a pretty big issue when compared to the Echo.
There's an API, they already have a few partners developing for it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's running Google Linux Distro (ChromeOS) like the OnHub...

If that's the case - this is a step into a much bigger play..