What's new

Google OnHub Announced & Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ViPaDawG

New Around Here
Looks like Google is entering the Wireless Networking game in partnership with TP-Link.

https://on.google.com/hub/
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...6-google-thinks-we-need-another-ac1900-router
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...6-google-thinks-we-need-another-ac1900-router

It has lots of antennas inside. I wonder if their "improved Wi-Fi experience" is just from the device being outside a cabinet vs inside. /s

Do you think it will be successful, or will this be another small-scale google product?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya never know. Cute commercial

They're going for the Smart Home hub market too with built in Bluetooth and Zigbee radios.

It has a built-in speaker, which you'd think could be used as a Bluetooth-enabled speaker. But the specs say it's just for audio-based setup with Android devices.

Also interesting is a 1x1 AC "Auxiliary wireless".

Last edited:
Looks kinda cool to me. I think the device-prioritization feature could be useful.

Is that the "congestion sensing" antenna?

Here's a picture of the connectors:
Z51_XNrCg1TJk5rPvThm0M1ut1rZkHbvUo-Y9eneZEeUWtm2tiTILMXZ7GPJ-7q0tdE=w503

https://support.google.com/onhub/answer/6246481?hl=en&vid=1-635755188830611669-4891579434441368792

Thanks much for that, SamS. I was wondering how clean the back would look.
Seems like kinda ballsy move to not include a switch, but not really. I've had vendors tell me their research shows there are fewer and fewer people with Ethernet devices.

On the other hand, NETGEAR got crap when the put out an AC router with only 10/100 ports...

Thanks much for that, SamS. I was wondering how clean the back would look.
Seems like kinda ballsy move to not include a switch, but not really. I've had vendors tell me their research shows there are fewer and fewer people with Ethernet devices.

On the other hand, NETGEAR got crap when the put out an AC router with only 10/100 ports...
I like this rather minimalist (dare I say, Apple-like) design approach from Google. On paper, it looks rather good. But I came here because I knew you guys would be able to point out any fatal flaws or forward-looking features that it might be missing. Obviously a hands-on test will be the real determining factor, but the specs and interface/design have me intrigued.

There's a BIG difference between 10/100 ports and only including 1 gigabit port... at least with the gigabit port you can attach a switch if you want to and still get decent speeds...

This new router looks very interesting. I was just about to buy 2 more r7000 nighthawks to upgrade my setup at my house and cottage... now I have to wait to see the reviews on this bad boy...

Looks like later this year they are creating an onhub with asus as well.

There's a BIG difference between 10/100 ports and only including 1 gigabit port... at least with the gigabit port you can attach a switch if you want to and still get decent speeds...
There's a difference only if you have a 100Mbps or greater internet connection.

No router is going to provide extraordinary range improvements over the best routers out now, especially in 5 GHz. Everyone has to work within the same FCC power limits, which include antenna gain.

The only way you get truly reliable expanded coverage with decent throughput is with multiple APs connected via wired backhaul. There is no magic.

No router is going to provide extraordinary range improvements over the best routers out now, especially in 5 GHz. Everyone has to work within the same FCC power limits, which include antenna gain.

The only way you get truly reliable expanded coverage with decent throughput is with multiple APs connected via wired backhaul. There is no magic.

Yup. And improving physical placement of the device is typically more important than having the best CPU, antennas, etc.

My wireless is doing pretty well right now with a Cisco WAP-4410N. It is older, and doesn't have 802.11ac. My primary WiFi devices are an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus, both with AC. If my internet connection is only 22Mbps down, do you think there's room for improvement for ping and page loading time on a new device like this one from Google vs. what I have now?

I know I will never be recommending one of these. Just like with AE's. Far too limiting. Far too expensive and performance will never be top of class.

Not to mention you'll be giving google first hand access to your network. :eek:

Apple's Airport Express has been switchless for a while. I have had family who have gotten those due to a Wi-Fi only household with the only device being a PC/PS4 that is on the ethernet.

Granted, the Express is only $99, which is easier to swallow considering Google is asking for money smack dab between AC68 and AC87 pricing.

+1

Until someone changes the laws of physics.

Last 2 years or so, there was a WiFi router with an LCD display to prompt you. Instead of the catch-22 use of a PC for admin/setup.

Not marketed well. It fizzled.

They're going for the Smart Home hub market too with built in Bluetooth and Zigbee radios.

It has a built-in speaker, which you'd think could be used as a Bluetooth-enabled speaker. But the specs say it's just for audio-based setup with Android devices.

Am I the only one that is curious as to why they partnered with an established player vice roll their own under their Nest Brand?

odd... but Google sometimes does curious things...

Am I the only one that is curious as to why they partnered with an established player vice roll their own under their Nest Brand?
Same reason why they have ASUS build their tablets. There strength is not hardware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!