What's new

GRC Leak test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some of what ShieldsUp/LeakTest reports are false positives - scary perhaps...

I failed. And I don't like it.
It's an ancient tool from 2008 for testing software firewalls. What's the remedy in 2020?

Yeah, back then Steven Gibson suggested that a hardware NAT appliance (to drop inbound unsolicited traffic) AND a local software application like ZoneAlarm V 2.0 (to limit/control/monitor local applications outbound traffic with your explicit consent), was a very good/complete security solution. The ZoneAlarm, would stop the leaktest app from connecting to internet (unless you explicitly allowed it) and thus have a successful test. I ran that leaktest just recently and failed also.

The way I think of it, current windows OS with its good Windows Defender; Modern Browsers/security extensions; Trendmicro's AIProtection w/i Asus Firmware; and DNS filter(s) are sophisticated/multi-layered enough (crossing my fingers) to identify malware within your system (if it's there) and stop it from connecting to the internet--UNTIL IT ISN'T. :oops:

Last edited:
This test is almost irrelevant these days as every piece of software simply uses port 80 or 443 now, which is never blocked because it prevents web browsing.

This test is almost irrelevant these days as every piece of software simply uses port 80 or 443 now, which is never blocked because it prevents web browsing.
You can check every port to see if it is open, closed, or stealth. I don't see how that will ever be irrelevant.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!