What's new

GS728P Fan Replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris Han

New Around Here
Hi all -looking to silence my network config.

It is the GS728TP from Netgear - Gigabit, managed POE switch.
Everything works well enough (although web management slow as sludge).
However, the included 40mm fans are very noisy. I have purchased some quieter ones but on installing them they did not spin up at all - any ideas?

I tried the replacement fans in two and 3 pin mode and none of them would fire up either. Do i have to rewire the cables?

Currently running with just one fan, but it is still very loud so thinking of pulling both out.

My options in preference:
a) Install two quiet 40mm fans and get them spinning
b) Pull the noisy fan and run it passively (14ports used, not even 10W POE drawn).
c) Get a fanless managed switch and a fanless dumb POE switch.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

ive used a GS line switch from netgear before and i dont like it however if you want to replace the fan you need to find a fan that operates at the same voltage which is very difficult. You also need to make sure it retains the similar airflow at least. Some GS switches use 5V instead of 12V fans which means that using a 12V fan will not work (which most fans are). The switch itself will use somewhere along 30W while idle which you should check with a wattmeter.

I think ubnt has a 48 port managed switch with POE.

I know this is reply to the old post buy I hope that my experience might help someone else too.
I just replaced 4 noisy fans on 2 GS724TS switches.
First you need to check fan size and voltage. In my case it was 5V - 40x40x10mm fan.
As a replacement I used Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fans http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=99&lng=en
They are expensive but in my case very well worth the price. I could not believe how quiet fans are that I had to check if they are spinning.
Before replacement I had to keep server room door closed all the time as original fans were extremely noisy.
Now the main point when installing this and other fans in Netgear switches is to swap outer pins in 3 pin connector.
Leave middle pin as is. This is of course only if you are using the right fan voltage and fan is not spinning.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!