What's new

GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeroXLazer

New Around Here
My GT-AC5300 is only getting between 50mbps and 150mbps. I have a gigabit connection. From the modem directly, I get 900mbps. I've changed cables and tested them. I've checked the duplex settings and the settings in the software, and I can't figure this out. I've reset the router. I think it may have to do with NAT/Hardware Acceleration, but I don't know how to enable it. Does anyone have any tips?

My GT-AC5300 is only getting between 50mbps and 150mbps.
Are you referring to the WiFi connections? Or does this include devices connected to an Ethernet port of the ASUS?

If you haven't already, check the speed for devices connected to the Ethernet port of the ASUS.

Are you referring to the WiFi connections? Or does this include devices connected to an Ethernet port of the ASUS?

If you haven't already, check the speed for devices connected to the Ethernet port of the ASUS.
On WiFi, I've been able to pull 250. This is wired. It shows up as 1.0gbps in status on Windows.

I've checked the duplex settings and the settings in the software,
Are you referring to your Windows system?

Okay, if it is possible I would like to determine if the issue is related to downstream side of the ASUS or the upstream. To accomplish this you will need a pingable device connected to the Ethernet LAN of the ASUS. Now perform the following:
  • Using the pingable device on the Ethernet, ping 8.8.8.8 or your ISP gateway. Note the results.
  • If possible, ping that device from another device on the Ethernet LAN of the ASUS. Note the results.
  • Ping one device on WiFi from a device on WiFi. Note the results.
Based on your "50mbps and 150mbps" on the Ethernet connection and "250" on WiFi, I would expect ping response times WiFi to WiFi to be equal to or even faster than Ethernet to Ethernet. And all the local pings to be faster than the ping to 8.8.8.8 . This would indicate a router issue; hardware, firmware, or configuration.

I am suspecting something associated with the modem connection to the ASUS, if Ethernet to Ethernet ping is faster than WiFi to WiFi and pinging 8.8.8.8 is slower compared to WiFi to WiFi. Does the ASUS indicate a physical connection of 1Gbps to your ISP modem?

I’m on 800/200 ISP plan and I had the problem too with my GT-AC5300, my speed suddenly limited to below 100mbps for both wired and wireless, what I did is I re-flash the firmware once and erase the setting(initial) after, set it up again manually and the problem gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you referring to your Windows system?

Okay, if it is possible I would like to determine if the issue is related to downstream side of the ASUS or the upstream. To accomplish this you will need a pingable device connected to the Ethernet LAN of the ASUS. Now perform the following:
  • Using the pingable device on the Ethernet, ping 8.8.8.8 or your ISP gateway. Note the results.
  • If possible, ping that device from another device on the Ethernet LAN of the ASUS. Note the results.
  • Ping one device on WiFi from a device on WiFi. Note the results.
Based on your "50mbps and 150mbps" on the Ethernet connection and "250" on WiFi, I would expect ping response times WiFi to WiFi to be equal to or even faster than Ethernet to Ethernet. And all the local pings to be faster than the ping to 8.8.8.8 . This would indicate a router issue; hardware, firmware, or configuration.

I am suspecting something associated with the modem connection to the ASUS, if Ethernet to Ethernet ping is faster than WiFi to WiFi and pinging 8.8.8.8 is slower compared to WiFi to WiFi. Does the ASUS indicate a physical connection of 1Gbps to your ISP modem?
It does indicate a 1gbps WAN connection. Ping to 8.8.8.8 from ethernet shows all packets and min. 29ms avg. 30ms max. 31ms. From WiFi to WiFi, pinging from my laptop to phone, min. 14ms avg. 73ms max. 109.

I’m on 800/200 ISP plan and I had the problem too with my GT-AC5300, my speed suddenly limited to below 100mbps for both wired and wireless, what I did is I re-flash the firmware once and erase the setting(initial) after, set it up again manually and the problem gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried flashing and resetting multiple times and it didn't work.

It does indicate a 1gbps WAN connection. Ping to 8.8.8.8 from ethernet shows all packets and min. 29ms avg. 30ms max. 31ms. From WiFi to WiFi, pinging from my laptop to phone, min. 14ms avg. 73ms max. 109.
I have a 200Mbps ISP connection and from my WiFi I get an average of 22ms to 8.8.8.8. WiFi to WiFi (Mac to iPad) and I get 101ms.

I don't know your location but 29ms to 8.8.8.8 does not support "My GT-AC5300 is only getting between 50mbps and 150mbps." Your WiFi to WiFi test is not real bad but probably related to devices. I have several other devices on my WiFi that have averages of 170ms but they are 5GHz to 2.4 GHz.

Using an Ethernet connected device, run speed test with several other websites; www.speedtest.net , speedtest.xfinity.com , speakeasy.net , or any other you want to try.

Please specify your ISP and the type/model of your modem.

Oh ya, almost forget. If you are using Windows, don't use any of their browsers. Please use Firefox at least for testing.

I have a 200Mbps ISP connection and from my WiFi I get an average of 22ms to 8.8.8.8. WiFi to WiFi (Mac to iPad) and I get 101ms.

I don't know your location but 29ms to 8.8.8.8 does not support "My GT-AC5300 is only getting between 50mbps and 150mbps." Your WiFi to WiFi test is not real bad but probably related to devices. I have several other devices on my WiFi that have averages of 170ms but they are 5GHz to 2.4 GHz.

Using an Ethernet connected device, run speed test with several other websites; www.speedtest.net , speedtest.xfinity.com , speakeasy.net , or any other you want to try.

Please specify your ISP and the type/model of your modem.
I tested those and I got the same results. I'm on Xfinity. I'm renting their XB6 for now. I get 800mbps to 900mbps in bridge mode or non-bridge mode.

Do you think there's anything else I can do, but buy my own modem? I have a phone plan, and don't want to have two modems.

EDIT: I was able to get 614mbps wireless from my phone to the ASUS router, so I don't think there's a modem issue, at least nothing serious. I think there's still an issue with the router, as my ethernet's still the same.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!