What's new

Guest Network on DIR-655 Configured as AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finkjsc

New Around Here
I have two DIR-655 routers, one is my main router with wireless disabled and the other is setup as a wireless AP only. Been working great for years.

Recently I wanted to enable the guest network feature on the AP. After setting it up I could connect to the guest network, but had no internet. I speculate this is because nothing is connected to the WAN port, so I connected an Ethernet cable to it from a LAN port. Seems to work.

Question is did I break some network or security rule by connecting the WAN port on the AP to a LAN port? The intent here was to have a separate network for IOT devices only.

One of the risks you might run into with the config you mentioned...

Check to see if a client on the DLR#2's (aka, you AP configured one) "Guest Network" can access local LAN resources on the AP you enabled it on - if you can, that might be a concern for you...

One of the risks you might run into with the config you mentioned...

Check to see if a client on the DLR#2's (aka, you AP configured one) "Guest Network" can access local LAN resources on the AP you enabled it on - if you can, that might be a concern for you...

That is something I did check and the local LAN resources are not accessible from devices connected to the guest network so it looks like I'm good.

I was concerned somewhat with having the WAN port connected on the AP-configured DLR#2 having some obscure unintended side-affect. But it appears all LAN devices - wired and wireless - are going through the DLR#1 for internet, and only guest network connected devices are showing internet sessions on the AP-configured DLR#2.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!