What's new

Guest WiFi -> Greeting Page on First Use? (a la "Facebook WiFi")

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonV

New Around Here
Hi, new member here. I'm using an RT-N66U as the main router in a networking set up for a small non-profit I work with. I've been researching options and I'm looking to go with the Merlin FW for some additional features that will be useful while staying with something tuned for the Asus line.

I also just happened to score an RT-AC68R from the clearance section at my local big box store. In checking that out, I noted the Asus "Facebook WiFi" feature. And that got me thinking...

Would it be possible using the Merlin FW on our 66U to redirect a user on our Guest WiFi access to a given URL on first connection (say, within a given day)? I don't want to block all internet use before viewing the page (I find it obnoxious when businesses do that, making you click on an "accept these lawyerly terms" web page button before your gmail app can connect) but would like to gently send them to a greeting/engagement page on our established web site if they use their browser.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Last edited:
Not possible yet on Merlin, unless you're willing to hack it in. Or use Tomato with Captive Portal enabled (that's the best you can get with the default)

Thanks for the Captive Portal pointer! I'm using Tomato in other applications - but earlier/more minimal builds on older hardware, so hadn't seen that feature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!