What's new

GUI extremely slow when accessed via faraway WAN/DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I'm having an issue with remote accessing my RT-AX86U from a faraway location. By faraway I mean a location that introduces 80+ ms of latency to the remote access.

Here's the situation. I'd like to be able to access my router when I travel and/or use a VPN server. So I set up WAN access and DDNS. When I'm home and I try to access the router via the internet, there is no issue, it's almost as snappy as with LAN access. When I connect to a VPN server (OpenVPN) that's in the same city as me -- again, no issue, almost as snappy as LAN. But when I connect to a VPN that's far away (80 ms away), the GUI becomes almost unusable. It takes literally 30 seconds to load any page in the interface. It's not an issue with the VPN because it works perfectly with a nearby location. So it must be the latency. I connect to a server with about 80-90 ms of latency and it's basically unusable. I've tried directly accessing my public IP and also with Asus' DDNS service -- same result.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do? Any input is appreciated.

Hello,

I'm having an issue with remote accessing my RT-AX86U from a faraway location. By faraway I mean a location that introduces 80+ ms of latency to the remote access.

Here's the situation. I'd like to be able to access my router when I travel and/or use a VPN server. So I set up WAN access and DDNS. When I'm home and I try to access the router via the internet, there is no issue, it's almost as snappy as with LAN access. When I connect to a VPN server (OpenVPN) that's in the same city as me -- again, no issue, almost as snappy as LAN. But when I connect to a VPN that's far away (80 ms away), the GUI becomes almost unusable. It takes literally 30 seconds to load any page in the interface. It's not an issue with the VPN because it works perfectly with a nearby location. So it must be the latency. I connect to a server with about 80-90 ms of latency and it's basically unusable. I've tried directly accessing my public IP and also with Asus' DDNS service -- same result.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do? Any input is appreciated.
WAN access to the router GUI is a BIG security risk! Much safer to set up a VPN server and access the router that way. Or hace a PC inside your LAN running Teamviewer. With Teamviewer you do not need DDNS.

WAN access to the router GUI is a BIG security risk! Much safer to set up a VPN server and access the router that way. Or hace a PC inside your LAN running Teamviewer. With Teamviewer you do not need DDNS.

Hm okay, I will try a VPN then.

Edit: Tried an OpenVPN server and connected through my mobile connection, which has about 70 ms ping. Same thing... painfully slow. I guess the Asus GUI just can't handle latency. The internet works fine through the VPN (if I enable internet access), but the router GUI is borderline unusable. I guess it's good enough to just check on the router to make sure my AIMesh network works, which is what I would need this functionality for. But it is atrociously slow. Anyone else experience the same thing? Is there any way to fix it?

Last edited:
I, and many others, successfully use a vpn to remote into our routers regularly. Even from crappy hotel WiFi I haven't noticed any issues with performance.

Not knowing what service level your isp provides, or what level service your vpn provides makes it hard to determine where the issue may be, but I've seen it work well under pretty poor conditions.

I, and many others, successfully use a vpn to remote into our routers regularly. Even from crappy hotel WiFi I haven't noticed any issues with performance.

Not knowing what service level your isp provides, or what level service your vpn provides makes it hard to determine where the issue may be, but I've seen it work well under pretty poor conditions.

But have you tried it from a distant location with 70-80 ms of latency e.g. another continent or a location 4000 mi away or so? Or a crappy mobile connection with 60+ ms of latency? It's not about bandwidth, it's the latency that kills it for some reason.

I've tried Australia to Canada, so, pretty far :)

Most of the time via mobile data and hotspotting,with very high ping rate, although I don't have specific numbers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!