What's new

Hard Drive backup for DS413 suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enewmen

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

I will be getting a Synology DS413 very soon. ~6-8 TB.
Is there any simple NON-RAID hard drive backup solution people use? Something smarter than a on/off switch. No online solution please.
Ideally it will automatically wake up from deep sleep only doing the backup process. (about once a week)
Or any ultra low-power "always on" 2-bay drives enclosures available?

Many companies use tape, but I hate tape.

Any ideas? - "professional style"
thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, on-line is too slow and a security risk.

I use a USB3 drive on the DSM212. NTFS formatted so that with no hassle, I can get files back. I tell the backup program which folders to copy to the USB3 drive - and since the USB3 drive is smaller than the NAS, I only backup to that drive irreplaceable folders in the NAS. The backup is incremental, so the first takes a long time.

I don't have the backup on a time schedule because the USB3 drive enclosure I have for some reason won't spin-down by command of the NAS or from inactivity. So each Saturday, or so, I click once to trigger the backup.

But this USB3 backup is the third level backup. The second level backup is inside the NAS... I have the drives arranged in two volumes with no RAID. So volume 2 is a separate file system, separate drive, not a RAID member. On that second drive, I run the NAS' Time Backup, runs automatically every x hours. The time backup keeps the last x months of file versions.

So with this, the US3 Drive is just for theft-of-NAS protection, really.

The two volume scheme gives me protection from drive failure, file system corruption, and time backup lets me undo an oops.

Thanks for the post!

I think I have too much data for some internal- 2nd level backup.
So I guess I'll need to manually turn on/off an external USB3/ eSATA drive once a week for backing up. My (non-RAID) Hotway 3.5 Inch 2 Bay Raid Enclosure seems to work OK, just doesn't sleep well.

I could get get an 8-bay NAS, but that will just use too many watts just sitting there.

For 6-8TB, you can't just throw a single drive backup up... no drives that big.

I tried doing something similar with my QNAP 6 bay unit by having several external drives setup to backup different shares. I first tried by configuring them as NTFS so that if the QNAP died, I could easily mount the drives. It was so slow it was unusable. I then switched to the unix format, but then the drives weren't mountable. As a backup to my NAS, I don't want something that I have to repair the NAS (if it fails) in order to access it. I want something I can use completely independently from the NAS, or else to me its not really a suitable backup.

So I switched gears and bought a cheap 2nd NAS to backup the first NAS. I configured it as JBOD, and then subsequently changed to RAID0, to save a little cost since I don't feel that I need redundancy for the backup of my NAS. Now if something were to go wrong with my NAS, I could easily access the backup NAS. I have different backup jobs to backup the shares, and I have each share on the backup NAS named similarly "b-sharename" vs. "sharename", to make it easy to see what's where. I have most of the backup jobs running on alternating nights. Its a NAS to NAS backup, so will happen each night without any computers involved.

This seems to be working well so far. I used a ReadyNAS Duo V2 that I bought on sale for $165, without drives. So the delta of this vs. external drives is probably about $150 and it works very well. I'm running the backup jobs on the ReadyNAS, not the QNAP.

No, no.
Just saying the solution that worked for you won't work well for me just because I have too much data.
sorry... what I meant was that if your data is all in one RAID, you have no backup (e.g., RAID box electronics fails, RAID gets hosed and won't rebuild (a common complaint) - so you need an independent backup- of at least essential data.