Hard Drive backup for DS413 suggestion

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by enewmen, Jan 13, 2013.

1. enewmen

enewmen Occasional Visitor

Hi all.

I will be getting a Synology DS413 very soon. ~6-8 TB.
    Is there any simple NON-RAID hard drive backup solution people use? Something smarter than a on/off switch. No online solution please.
    Ideally it will automatically wake up from deep sleep only doing the backup process. (about once a week)
    Or any ultra low-power "always on" 2-bay drives enclosures available?

Many companies use tape, but I hate tape.

Any ideas? - "professional style"
    thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

Yeah, on-line is too slow and a security risk.

I use a USB3 drive on the DSM212. NTFS formatted so that with no hassle, I can get files back. I tell the backup program which folders to copy to the USB3 drive - and since the USB3 drive is smaller than the NAS, I only backup to that drive irreplaceable folders in the NAS. The backup is incremental, so the first takes a long time.

I don't have the backup on a time schedule because the USB3 drive enclosure I have for some reason won't spin-down by command of the NAS or from inactivity. So each Saturday, or so, I click once to trigger the backup.

But this USB3 backup is the third level backup. The second level backup is inside the NAS... I have the drives arranged in two volumes with no RAID. So volume 2 is a separate file system, separate drive, not a RAID member. On that second drive, I run the NAS' Time Backup, runs automatically every x hours. The time backup keeps the last x months of file versions.

So with this, the US3 Drive is just for theft-of-NAS protection, really.

The two volume scheme gives me protection from drive failure, file system corruption, and time backup lets me undo an oops.

4. enewmen

Thanks for the post!

I think I have too much data for some internal- 2nd level backup.
    So I guess I'll need to manually turn on/off an external USB3/ eSATA drive once a week for backing up. My (non-RAID) Hotway 3.5 Inch 2 Bay Raid Enclosure seems to work OK, just doesn't sleep well.

I could get get an 8-bay NAS, but that will just use too many watts just sitting there.

5. stevech

OK. Nag, nag: RAID is not a backup.

6. enewmen

No, no.
    Just saying the solution that worked for you won't work well for me just because I have too much data.

7. convergent

convergent Occasional Visitor

For 6-8TB, you can't just throw a single drive backup up... no drives that big.

I tried doing something similar with my QNAP 6 bay unit by having several external drives setup to backup different shares. I first tried by configuring them as NTFS so that if the QNAP died, I could easily mount the drives. It was so slow it was unusable. I then switched to the unix format, but then the drives weren't mountable. As a backup to my NAS, I don't want something that I have to repair the NAS (if it fails) in order to access it. I want something I can use completely independently from the NAS, or else to me its not really a suitable backup.

So I switched gears and bought a cheap 2nd NAS to backup the first NAS. I configured it as JBOD, and then subsequently changed to RAID0, to save a little cost since I don't feel that I need redundancy for the backup of my NAS. Now if something were to go wrong with my NAS, I could easily access the backup NAS. I have different backup jobs to backup the shares, and I have each share on the backup NAS named similarly "b-sharename" vs. "sharename", to make it easy to see what's where. I have most of the backup jobs running on alternating nights. Its a NAS to NAS backup, so will happen each night without any computers involved.

This seems to be working well so far. I used a ReadyNAS Duo V2 that I bought on sale for $165, without drives. So the delta of this vs. external drives is probably about $150 and it works very well. I'm running the backup jobs on the ReadyNAS, not the QNAP.

8. stevech

sorry... what I meant was that if your data is all in one RAID, you have no backup (e.g., RAID box electronics fails, RAID gets hosed and won't rebuild (a common complaint) - so you need an independent backup- of at least essential data.