What's new

Hardmode: Router suggestion for under $60

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ellimist

New Around Here
Hey,

What I'd love is a recommendation for a cheap router. i.e. considerably under 100 bucks. Why? Well I'm in SEA and after the exchange rate even something like an Asus-N66 is way way out of my price range. Ideally, my price range is ... 50 - 60 bucks? Of course lower is better. Here is another catch, if the router is on deal on Amazon for 50 or 60 bucks I'm still SOL because I can't really get it shipped here :(

I have a number of devices in the house, iPhone's, android phones, older iPads, a chromecast, and about 3 laptops. Usually we're streaming from a central Plex server, or someone is streaming to the chromecast with Plex or casting a tab. Generally lots of streaming video over the network, poop tons of torrenting, very little gaming. I imagine this limits my choice to mainly N to support older devices and definitely need 2.4 Ghz.

The area I need to cover is about 1,100 sqft, but there are a good amount of concrete walls everywhere. Also just to tell you what I'm working with is a dir-615, it just cant handle all the video. The internet connection is only 10mb up and down but I seem to be able to very easily saturate the WiFi.

I'm looking to squeeze as much performance as I can. Ideally, without having to install tomato because if I screw that up somehow I'll SOL since I wont be able to afford anything else.

With the many limitations you state and the performance expectations you have, there is nothing else to do but keep saving, unfortunately.

At the price level you're interested in, all you will be doing is trading problems, not getting one product or another that excels at all you need to do.

With the many limitations you state and the performance expectations you have, there is nothing else to do but keep saving, unfortunately.

At the price level you're interested in, all you will be doing is trading problems, not getting one product or another that excels at all you need to do.

Well I don't really need lots of advanced features. Generally something better than an DIR-615 would do it. I'm not against installing Tomato or Gargoyle, but just a preference to reduce risk. I was thinking TP-Link N600 since that's recommended in that price range... no idea though.

I could spring from the N56u from Asus although that's really the top end of my price range.

Last edited:
If you can save for it, the RT-AC56U would be the lowest end router I can honestly recommend today.

Otherwise, others can hopefully suggest something applicable for you.

Look at TP-Link, Edimax, and perhaps Zyxel - all have pretty decent N600/N900 class devices in the sub-$100USD price range...

Tenda had an interesting N300 class device (single band) under $50USD...

Look at TP-Link, Edimax, and perhaps Zyxel - all have pretty decent N600/N900 class devices in the sub-$100USD price range...

Tenda had an interesting N300 class device (single band) under $50USD...

Any particular models in that price range that you could suggest?

since you only need 20Mb/s of forwarding capacity any MIPS based router is fast enough but avoid dlink so if you really cant afford than tp-link is a lot better than dlink. Many will recommend the AC56U because it is the cheapest ARM A9 router but it lacks wifi range.
A lot of mentioned brands will support your speeds and you would want at least 64MB of ram in it as well. You may think you dont need any features but QoS is definitely going to be needed with your low bandwidth so consider using one that lets you set priorities or bandwidth limits. I suggest making sure the router you choose has a minimum of a 600Mhz MIPS 24K with 64MB of ram and dual band wifi. Any faster would go outdated slower.

Always avoid using dlink hardware unless you install 3rd party firmware like tomato or openwrt. Since you already have dlink you can isntalled a 3rd party firmware in it and extend your range because the stock dlink firmware doesnt really have any security (which is why ISPs love to give them since they're cheap and full of backdoors so your ISP can have better "customer service"). I have seen firsthand how bad dlink router security is and none of their hardware will work under strain so i wouldnt even use their dumb switches either. Bigger installations that use switches such as the 48 port with SFPs d-link switches are used in establishments because they're cheap and they arent expecting crushing loads on the switch so it wont switch at wirespeed without hanging or crashing the network.

Sometimes you have no choice but to install 3rd party firmware because the stock firmware was horribly made or sometimes the hardware wasnt properly designed. If you are expecting instability the problem is either firmware or PSU so try firmware resets first before changing your router's plug with a higher amp rating one.

TP-Link Archer C7, maybe.

$50 isn't going to get you anything that will help. I suggest you look at AC1200 class routers at a minimum. They can help with performance even with non AC devices.

Also look at refurbs direct from Linksys.

i have an linksys e3000 router 2.4/5ghz with tomato already installed. you pay me $20 over shipping costs and I'll send it to you. it works just fine, I just recently upgraded so really dont have an immediate need for it.

since you only need 20Mb/s of forwarding capacity any MIPS based router is fast enough but avoid dlink so if you really cant afford than tp-link is a lot better than dlink. Many will recommend the AC56U because it is the cheapest ARM A9 router but it lacks wifi range.

Good t know, because the AC56U is fairly expensive for me, didn't want to be disappointed. On the other hand I can't imagine it's a downgrade from my d-link. Or would it be?

A lot of mentioned brands will support your speeds and you would want at least 64MB of ram in it as well. You may think you dont need any features but QoS is definitely going to be needed with your low bandwidth so consider using one that lets you set priorities or bandwidth limits. I suggest making sure the router you choose has a minimum of a 600Mhz MIPS 24K with 64MB of ram and dual band wifi. Any faster would go outdated slower.
Sounds like a good metric to do my research with. I'll definitely look at the hardware specs before buying anything now.

Always avoid using dlink hardware unless you install 3rd party firmware like tomato or openwrt. Since you already have dlink you can isntalled a 3rd party firmware in it and extend your range because the stock dlink firmware doesnt really have any security (which is why ISPs love to give them since they're cheap and full of backdoors so your ISP can have better "customer service").

Okay so basically, stay away from dlink. Hmm didn't realize they were that bad when I did tech support for them back in the day. Maybe I'll try and install tomato on this one and see what happens before I take the plunge?

Just want to emphasis that if you buy what you need today, you may as well stick to what you already have.

The AC1200 class routers that Tim suggested and the specific RT-AC56U that I recommend (which performs above most other AC1200 class routers) is the minimum I would be aiming for. Because it will allow you to grow into it's capabilities as you change and acquire new devices over the next half decade that you will be using the new router (or longer, of course).

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

Yes, you can save half the cost today ($50) and effectively get what you have already. But save a little longer and buy something that you won't need to upgrade with your next device purchase (with AC class WiFi) to be able to fully use it. And in the meantime, also get the best N class performance from your current devices too.

What speeds your ISP currently offers you has nothing to do with the WiFi performance you need and can get if you spend appropriately, today, for your internal network.

TP-Link Archer C7, maybe.

$50 isn't going to get you anything that will help. I suggest you look at AC1200 class routers at a minimum. They can help with performance even with non AC devices.

Also look at refurbs direct from Linksys.

At the lower end - and this is likely affordable to folks outside of the NA/LATAM, APAC regions - e.g. EMEA areas, along with many in SE Asia and eastern Europe, those folks might not be able to afford a $200+ (USD) router/AP...

the TP-Link Archer C7 is a good solution here at $87USD... which might be a week or month worth of income to some parts of the world....

I've seen the Tenda AC1900 solution near the same price-point in some markets (currency conversion)