What's new

Has the new firmware solved "Dual WAN- Load Balancing" issue found in AC87R ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salam2009

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,
On 12\3\2014, I tried load balancing but it didn't work whatsoever!

Here was my scenario:
" I have 2 modems (both are the same) with 2 connections taken from the same ISP, one is connected to Router's WAN port (as Primary) and the other to the 2nd LAN port as Ethernet LAN (Secondary).
I've selected Load Balancing with the default settings. The problem is that the right LED light is turned into RED and I get internet drops out a lot!
I had no trouble using a single line with dual WAN turned off!
All I hoped for is to make the router gives the 2nd line bandwidth to the 2nd internet request (i.e. youtube video/2nd download instance of IDM, etc.).
Should I change 3:1 load balancing configuration to something else? "

I also found this in some forum at that time:
"ASUS RT-AC87U dual WAN is still work in progress for load balancing!
As for failover, it's only applicable with 3G/LTE USB modems and not with another WAN ~ work in progress.
Teaming is still work in progress as well."

Now, does the new firmware v3.0.0.4.378_6117 which claims it "Fixed dual wan connection issue when both primary and secondary wan connected to cable modems" would really solve my issue this time?
If yes, what about the load balancing configuration question mentioned above?

Your help would mean the world to me!
Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Salaam

There have been dual WAN issues and bugs across all router platforms since this feature was implemented. There have been some bug fixes released, but it's never solved my problem on a 68U device. I don't run load balancing, but have my setup using fail over. The configuration works as long as the watchdog feature is turned off. This feature pings a specified internet server at a specified interval over the primary internet connection. If ICMP responses fail, the router should automagically flip to the secondary connection. The problem is that when this feature is enabled, the router will drop the primary connection 1-3 times claiming some kind of random DHCP error. If I make the secondary connection my primary (the secondary connection has static IP's), then the same thing will happen but I start to get PPPoE errors 1-3 times a day even though PPPoE isn't even enabled on the static IP provider connection.

If I turn off the watchdog feature, the DHCP and PPPoE problems magically disappear, but the failover capabilities in this scenario are much less robust. Makes absolutely no sense. Been this way for over a year with no resolution.

I was excited for this feature when I got the AC87 at launch, as I was reluctantly switching over from DSL to cable due to my business requirements, so I maintained both ISPs for a while. This feature worked only once in testing, and the one time it had to work in production it did not.

It should be stricken as a feature, I don't believe it has ever worked correctly, and texas' post above is correct about the watchdog feature. It doesn't work with the feature, and without it, you'll notice any outage before the router ever does.

Never bothered to try load balancing, as my primary connection was about 24 times faster than the secondary link.

Hey guys,
On 12\3\2014, I tried load balancing but it didn't work whatsoever!

I played with load balancing a couple of years ago here when I had both Cable and DSL connections. At that time I was using a high end Draytek device. I found that the system would hiccup when trying to balance traffic over both systems when I was accessing a secure (https://) address. I wrote it off as a security issue thinking that it was appropriate to not be able to access a secure sight simultaneously via two different WANs. If my memory is correct I may have enabled a rule to route all https traffic over one of the WANs. Needless to say, I was never really satisfied with load balancing.

There have been dual WAN issues and bugs across all router platforms since this feature was implemented. There have been some bug fixes released, but it's never solved my problem on a 68U device. I don't run load balancing, but have my setup using fail over. The configuration works as long as the watchdog feature is turned off. This feature pings a specified internet server at a specified interval over the primary internet connection. If ICMP responses fail, the router should automagically flip to the secondary connection. The problem is that when this feature is enabled, the router will drop the primary connection 1-3 times claiming some kind of random DHCP error. If I make the secondary connection my primary (the secondary connection has static IP's), then the same thing will happen but I start to get PPPoE errors 1-3 times a day even though PPPoE isn't even enabled on the static IP provider connection.

If I turn off the watchdog feature, the DHCP and PPPoE problems magically disappear, but the failover capabilities in this scenario are much less robust. Makes absolutely no sense. Been this way for over a year with no resolution.
After spending time on issues I'm running into with my RT-AC3200, I reached at the conclusion that the issues are exactly the same issues you have reported on the forum.
Here is my reporting:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...on-isps-dhcp-did-not-function-properly.27359/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!