What's new

Hate a new firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
I hate a new firmware too.
But how do you protect your router without fixing the vulnerability?
There is no way to protect it. The new firmware is not 100% safe but better than old one. Are you gonna throw it away because of the performance?
I better choose a new firmware. How about you?

Always review release notes - and only update if it fixes something you absolutely need...

Always review release notes - and only update if it fixes something you absolutely need...
What if your router is a botnet zombie? Are you still gonna update if it fixes something important? I can't say anything if the needed one is the vulnerability fixing though.
What if your botnet zombie router damages your and other people's system? Still don't care?
I want to know people's awareness and perception about security.

Last edited:
agree - but at the same time - it's really down to the services that are exposed to the WAN side - those are the vulns that really need to be addressed.

i hate 1.0.2 bootloader....with 1.1.8 i didn`t get any errors and disconnections.....huhh, if i get, find somwhere firmware, include with option to bootloadr downgrade....i am very unhappy last two month with my asus router....

I hate a new firmware too.
But how do you protect your router without fixing the vulnerability?
There is no way to protect it. The new firmware is not 100% safe but better than old one. Are you gonna throw it away because of the performance?
I better choose a new firmware. How about you?

I want to first ask that you rephrase your question(s) as I am not 100% sure what you are asking here.

But based on the responses so far, I would say; yes, always upgrade to the latest firmware as quickly as you can.

But. Only after careful monitoring of how it is working for others (forums are great). And making sure you fully understand the ramifications of moving to a new firmware (it is always buyer, or user, beware. Look before you leap).

And while this latest jump (to Official 380.3264 or later firmware, or, to RMerlin 380.60 Beta 2 or later firmware) may not give us the following option, you should still be as prepared as possible to go back to your previous working version. Have backups of your current firmware, have config backups of your current configuration on that specific firmware (via the gui), or better, use john9527's excellent NVRAM Save/Restore utility which at the very least saves all settings into a text based (human readable) file to preserve your previous, working settings.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If I understood this thread correctly so far, note that the above recommendations doesn't change anything from how it was previously. Just like any other internet connected 'computer', ignoring available security or other updates is done at your own risk. This is particularly true of the 'computer' (router) that is used to protect your digital front door.

i hate 1.0.2 bootloader....with 1.1.8 i didn`t get any errors and disconnections.....huhh, if i get, find somwhere firmware, include with option to bootloadr downgrade....i am very unhappy last two month with my asus router....

The bootloader itself has zero impact on stability/performance...

The bootloader itself has zero impact on stability/performance...
what is faulty then? i flashed 20 older firmwares (original asus, merlin, john...) and with all have pppd disconnetion....this problems have last two months and bootloader is upgrade in that time....i changed two ISP modem and still nothing better....the only idea is just version of bootloader?sorry for my english....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton