What's new

Help amateur debug Ethernet issue (video included)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtherkel

Occasional Visitor
I'm helping a friend figure out the wiring in his new-to-him house. The good news is that we have numerous Cat5e jacks and wires around the house.

The bad news is that they're punched down to a weird board with the model number CC-TP0110. Based on googling, it seems to be:

CC-TP0110 - Concord Express phone to GE Security 10-port telco module

I removed one of the wires from the board and crimped a Cat6 plug on the end. (I don't think it should matter that it's a Cat5e cable and a Cat6 plug, but I'm including all the details.)

Using my LAN Data Tester, I can see that normal Ethernet cables will show lights on both sides of the wire in order, from 1-8.

This cable shows lights in this order. (The sending unit shows the normal 1-8 order. The receiving unit shows this.)

Here's a quick video in case that does not make sense.

I re-crimped the plug and got the same results (yay, consistency!). I also re-punched the wall jack, and I think I go the same results. What am I doing wrong? Is this an issue with T568B vs. T568A? I'm trying to use B because that seems more common.

FYI, here's an inexpensive network tester that I found on Amazon. The LAN Data Tester

InstallerParts 10 Piece Network Installation Tool Kit - Includes LAN Data Tester
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NXK0WO/?tag=snbforums-20

TIA,
John

Something is strange with your results. When you connect an Ethernet cable tester you usually have a sender at one end and a receiver at the other end. No matter which end you connect the two devices to the results should be the same. I'm not exactly sure how your tester is working unless it has some sort of a loop back plug you attach to the other end.

To trouble shoot your problem double check the connections on both ends:

For male connector the correct sequence for the wires in 568B is as follows:

Looking down from the top (clip in the bottom ) connector pointed away from you:

W/O O W/G B W/B G W/BR BR

(as shown above you can see above two pairs are split which may account for part of the result your tester is showing

If you have attached a female keystone jack to the other end of the cable just be sure and follow the 568B color coding.

If the pinning done by you checks out visually then since your wiring was originally set up for phone my guess is at sometime somewhere on this run may have added an intermediate splice or jack and screwed up the pairs. You will have to find this location and correct it.

If I were you I would look at using a simpler tester to diagnose what you are seeing. Mine just checks each pair is connected to the correct color and give me a green light if wired correctly.

PS: Take a store bought Ethernet cable and use your tester on it and see what light pattern it gives you. Most if not all cables commonly available will be pinned 568B

Last edited:
You can use 568A or B, but must use the same termination scheme at both ends. You also MUST follow the color code.

If everything is ok, the lights on both the tester and terminator (if it has lights) will march from 1 to 8.