What's new

Help! Can't login to RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pulp

Regular Contributor
I changed the IP to 192.168.1.0 to monitor and get this message:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC66U.
To access the settings of RT-AC66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

RT-AC66U
Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.32
WIN7/Home Premium

:confused::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
I've tried 192.168.1.1 etc... adding port numbers but still get the same resulting page. I guess I pretty much have to hit the Reset button and start from scratch, right? :(:eek:

Did you try a poer off / on on the unit ?

I've tried 192.168.1.1 etc... adding port numbers but still get the same resulting page. I guess I pretty much have to hit the Reset button and start from scratch, right? :(:eek:

No I haven't. Been waiting for another login address someone might have for me to use. Thanks, will do as soon as I'm finished some other non-related problem. One of those days!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

You might have to reset back to factory defaults, as 192.168.1.0 is not a valid IP in your network environment (valid IPs in a standard class C would be from .1 to .254 - 0 and 255 are reserved for special uses).

I'm good to go fellahs! :cool: I tried powering OFF, didn't work so I held the back Reset button for 5 seconds and opened Chrome to http://192.168.1.1/ It brought up Merlin GUI from where I did the QIS. Thank you! :)

***EDIT By the way, what is the significance of your avatar, Merlin?
EDIT*** Runes of Magic Icon!!!! :D

Attachments

• good.JPG
    good.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
I have to "join the choir", as I am able to reproduce this thing quite well , although I have RT-N66U.

1. Hit "Logout" button

2. Close corresponding window or tab

2. Close the browser

3. Start the browser again and try to log in.

One workaround is to try to access the router with IP address instead of hostname or vice versa, but even this does not always work.

It might wery easily be something browser-specific, because this is always happening with Safari on OS X - other browsers do not seem to cause this behaviour.

It is quite possible, that firmwares from 2xx series did not have this problem, as I have been fiddling with other RT-N66U some time ago using the same Macbook with Safari and did not see this problem back then. Now I got one of these for myself and 372 and 374 builds are both behaving in the same way.

It looks like problem lies in caching, because problem is gone after clearing Safari's cache. However other browsers not clear their caches automatically and still don't have this problem...

P.S. One of possible causes might be Safari itself, because it also has been updated more than once after that previous encounter.

@nmt1900 the OP's problem seemed to come out of manually changing his router's IP to an invalid address.

How & when are you seeing this come up?

I also have an N66 & run mostly Macs, so theoretically I should be able to reproduce your error if you can walk me through how you get it.

It happens almost every time after logging out and quitting Safari - without changing IP address or network connection.

It does not happen, if Safari is kept running between the attempts.

Workaround seems to be:

1. Close the tab with this long message.
2. Empty Safari's cache (Command-Option-E)

After that new tab can be opened and login is possible again.

OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.0.5

P.S. One more thing - I'm using HTTPS only. Maybe this has some relevance to the matter.

P.P.S. Enabling WebGL on Safari (Developer option) makes Safari crash after login.

It happens almost every time after logging out and quitting Safari - without changing IP address or network connection.

It does not happen, if Safari is kept running between the attempts.

Workaround seems to be:

1. Close the tab with this long message.
2. Empty Safari's cache (Command-Option-E)

After that new tab can be opened and login is possible again.

OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.0.5

P.S. One more thing - I'm using HTTPS only. Maybe this has some relevance to the matter.

P.P.S. Enabling WebGL on Safari (Developer option) makes Safari crash after login.

Yes I can replicate it with HTTPS only login enabled. It might have something to do with when you logout it leaves you on 192.168.1.1/lougout.asp, and if your browser is like mine it will save state between sessions, then next time I open it I'm brought to 192.168.1.1/logout.asp, which doesn't present a problem when using HTTP, I just highlight and erase everything from the /logout.asp part, and hit enter and it brings me to a login screen. However in HTTPS it gets rather confused and didn't let me back in until I deleted the cookie for 192.168.1.1 (it might have been an old cookie, I wasn't having it save the HTTPS login credentials), exited the browser, then reopened the browser, browsed to another page, google.com or whatever, then tried https://192.168.1.1:8443 to login again, whereupon I turned off the HTTPS force.

Really there is no benefit to use HTTPS locally to login to your own router. Reasons that you'd normally want to use HTTPS (public key CA verification, avoiding man in the middle attacks, and wanting the whole communication encrypted) are moot on a LAN. If I'm connecting via WPA the communication is encrypted, if I'm connecting via LAN, chances are that I'll know if my network is being physically hacked ;). And the first two reasons to use HTTPS (CA verification and man in the middle attacks) are irrelevant on a LAN.

To protect your router from the outside turn off "admin by WAN" and turn on your firewall, and only enable the minimum amount of services (SSH, telnet, etc) that you need to, and maybe turn them off when you don't. Also minimize use of publicly open UPnP ports and DMZ zones.

Also change your root user name to something other than admin, make your admin password a non dictionary word, bare minimum 8+ characters in length, and include some non-English symbols in it (and do the same thing for your WPA key, or better yet get a super strong random p/w generated by crypto guru Steve Gibson's free service) if you really want to fortify your LAN & WLAN. These ideas are just for starters, not to start a big network security talk, there are other good resources and podcasts for that.

HTTPS login to your local router will not make anything safer, IMHO.

Yes I can replicate it with HTTPS only login enabled. It might have something to do with when you logout it leaves you on 192.168.1.1/lougout.asp, and if your browser is like mine it will save state between sessions, then next time I open it I'm brought to 192.168.1.1/logout.asp

No it does not bring me back to logout.asp - I mentioned before, that it happens even when Safari is not set to start up with previous session. Otherwise it is quite possible, that it really has something to do with https and the way Safari handles this. Unfortunately Safari has no option for cleaning cache or cookies on quitting.

P.S. I am quite aware about Steve Gibson's page and security implications related to management of the router. My point is to notify about the problem itself.

Last edited:
No it does not bring me back to logout.asp - I mentioned before, that it happens even when Safari is not set to start up with previous session. Otherwise it is quite possible, that it really has something to do with https and the way Safari handles this. Unfortunately Safari has no option for cleaning cache or cookies on quitting.

P.S. I am quite aware about Steve Gibson's page and security implications related to management of the router. My point is to notify about the problem itself.

Safari handles certificates & CAs quite a bit differently than other browsers. Chrome and FF let you do certificate handling right in the browser, they both give you options to proceed at your own risk in situations where a certificate is not present or invalid. Chrome probably does the best job in conspicuously reminding you that your https connection actually isn't https:
huKjy3F.jpg

Sure, I could add an exception into Firefox, but at the end of the day it's a false sense of security, nothing has changed.
4V0SAUr.jpg

This is why using HTTPS in a situation that is not actually encrypted with RSA encryption or trusted by a CA throws Safari for a little bit of a loop, because the Certificate handling gets done in the OS with Keychain Access Tool. You could probably go through Keychain Assistant > Certificate assistant and create some kind of an exception, but Safari still might balk at it if you are proving yourself to it with only some kind of self signed cert (I played around with it for a few minutes with my very basic Comodo signed email & authentication cert).
8ApvGK0.jpg

All browsers will do their duty in recognizing it isn't a true HTTPS connection and let you know that fact, but they handle it differently.

Like I said in prior post there is no gain I can see doing this in a home environment to access your own router and will just cause problems like the one you're having. And I wouldn't call this a problem with Safari, and definitely not the router, it's more of a Safari/OSX security benefit that it doesn't allow the browser to act like there is a certificate in place when there isn't.

Last edited:
My AC66U has been nothing but headaches since I bought it

My main problem now is similar to this but perhaps not identical in that in order to log into the machine more than once I have to power cycle it

So if its just turned on I can log in fine, if I change absolutely nothing at all, log out and then reopen the browser and try to go to 192.168.1.1. to log back in the browser just sits there endlessly displaying nothing

Previous problems on other rom versions have been it always displaying the log in but just sitting there after the proper password was entered and not actually logging in and this exact same problem on the original rom version and a couple of the newer ones too

Add to that the problem that if you click on the "wake on lan" option in the menus the thing freezes too

And the thing just feels like an unfinished beta version of a product, this is likely to be the very last ASUS product I purchase as weighing in at well over £100 you kind of expect it to at least manage quite basic things like letting you log into it without having to power cycle it every time

My AC66U has been nothing but headaches since I bought it

I can understand your frustration, especially as you paid a lot of money for the hardware.

But maybe you have just been unlucky - I have 3 RT-AC66U and am very happy with them. I have loaded the Merlin software and can only say they are very stable - up time over 100 days and still counting.

But I admit that at the beginning, I did have somewhat similar problems accessing the router with a web browser.

After some research I discovered that my anti virus software (ESET NOD32) was blocking the IP address of the router. I also discovered that Java was doing something similar.

After I specifically allowed the router's IP address (in the NOD32 console), and in Java (access via the Windows Control Panel), I had no further access problems.

Just to be on the safe side, I also cleared the cache of the web browser, to be sure that on the next access attempt, the browser displayed an uptodate screen.

Since then no problems.

Hope this helps
PolarBear

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!