What's new

help choosing RAID version for new TS-451

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Opinion: Drive Failure and RAID5's too frequent inability to recover - is on the topic of drive failure probability.
Higher probabilities, per me, are
Theft of equipment
RAID5-wide file system corruption (power supply failure, mainboard fault, virus, malware)

Nothing but an external and young backup can save your behind.

That's why for small NASes, say, 4TB drives, I prefer a two drive NAS, with each as a separate volume, plus USB3 backup, plus VVIP files on other media such as SD cards.

I've got the TS453Pro, which is pretty similar to the TS451 - I ended up going the RAID10 route...

RAID5 was just a bit risky after reviewing many comments over on the QNAP boards, seeing horror stories about second drive failures, normally after replacing a bad disk, but before the array could be rebuilt, with most of the errors happening as URE's during the rebuild process...

RAID6 and RAID10 have the same capacity hit, but RAID6 has the same write performance hit that RAID5 has - RAID5,6,10 all have similar read performance.