What's new

Help choosing the right NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steveboy76

New Around Here
Hi All,

New to the forum, have read a lot of posts, loads of great info. I like to ask some advice for my situation. This will be my first NAS, which I'm willing to put the time into setting it up.

Currently looking for a 2 bay NAS and have narrowed it down between the Synology DS-214play or 216play and the QNAP 251+
I will also have an external HD to backup my NAS.

I was hoping for your opinion which to choose based on my use and was hoping for a few questions answered. Thanks in advance!

1. The unit must be 100% compatible with all Apple products, my iPads, iphone, Apple TV. Mac power book
2. It will be used mainly for Time machine backup, photo sync, video sync. Archive. And playback of videos and photos offloaded from my iPhone back to my iPhone, IPAD or possibly via Apple TV or HDMI to a tv.

My questions are:
1. If I choose the QNAP with HDMI how do I play stored videos on the NAS to the Tv? meaning how do I control the NAS, via smart phone? Or do u have to control it from a computer. And the same with Synology without HDMI?
2. If I offload all my photos and videos taken from my smart phone to the NAS, is it possible to view them via a app on the iPhone?
3.Are they available to preview as a photo or just file name? Is there a delay seeing them? Meaning do they have to load?
4. Same for videos how do I see them, do u have to stream them from the NAS ? To iPad or do they all show up via a app on the iPhone and then you can play them, like Apple iCloud?

Thanks very much.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!