What's new

Help config 4G Modem to Ubiquiti Edgerouter to Dovado WAP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingspeak

New Around Here
network topology.jpg

Hi! Can anyone help with config tips please? I'm trying to configure my network as shown in the diagram.

1. I'd like the Edgerouter to be the DHCP server, only because that'd be better for DPI monitoring (I think...), though the 4G Modem warns ominously about the Optus 4G network not assigning a unique IP when I turn off its DHCP ....

2. So I thought I'd keep it simple and have everything on the one network, 192.168.1.x (255.255.255.0). That would mean setting the Modem to x.x.1.1, the Edgerouter to x.x.1.2 and the Dovado to x.x.1.3.

3. I'm using the Dovado until I can afford to buy another Unifi AP, don't judge :)

4. Question: which, if any, device needs to be in bridge mode?

5. Question: Can/should I set the IP address as in (2) above?

6. Question: should I set static routes between each device using addresses as in (2)?

7. What settings/wizard should I use in the Edgerouter?

I have latest firmware in each device.

NB. I've tried roughly what I've described above and guess what? .... yeah, it doesn't work!

PS. I got it working without the Edgerouter between the Dovado AP and the modem, but I want the Edgerouter in there for its Layer3 DPI firewall abilities.

Please can anybody help? Many thanks in advance!

If I recall - the Huawei e5186s is actually a router, not a modem...

So you have a few choices...

1) Let the Huawei box just take care of the routing tasks - easy way out...

2) If the Huawei box can be put into "bridge" mode - then do so, and let the ER-L take care of the routing - might not be possible with the Huawei device...

3) if the Huawei can be bridged (maybe) - then perhaps consider just using the Dovado as the primary router and AP

4) Like (3) above, just swap the ER-L instead with the UniFI AP

Challenge here is the Huawei - if you can't bridge it, the other option is to create a DMZ, and do your routing from there with the ER-L or the Dovado - the downside here is that you're likely going to be double-NAT'ed in this case...

You've got three routers - a lot of HW to work with - I'd suggest taking a step back and really examine your needs here, and go from there...