What's new

Help for New to routers(ASUS RT-AX58U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

0lok09

New Around Here
Hi all,
I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get some advice and guidance in this thread.
I don't have much experience with routers as I only use the ISP router that is provided from my network. I bought a ASUS RT-AX58U black friday deal and I have a few questions. Hope someone can answer them and guide me.
- Will the router I bought support VPN?
- If it does, is there a guide to set up the VPN on the router as I don't have a clue how to do it?
- Also once the router VPN is setup, is there a option to select specific device that is connected to the router to enable the VPN and disable it easily? Reason behind is if I play games I want it disabled.
The router will arrive on the 2nd Dec. so as of the moment I can't try it. I'm just gathering info for now to decide if I will get the NordVPN black friday deal.
Thanks in advanced.
P.S. English in not my first language.
Edited:
Found this guide - https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-setup-a-asus-rt-ax58u-ax3000-as-a-vpn-router-using-merlin.html
Now my main question would be is there a settings on this router to toggle on and off the VPN on a specific device in case I will be playing games. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site @0lok09.

I would suggest you use RMerlin firmware for your router to have the most stable and configurable network possible.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

If you're feeling adventurous, you could test the Alpha 3 Pre-beta test builds (1drv.ms) from the link above.

After flashing any firmware to get the router up to date, I would suggest following the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below. There are many other links you can have a look at too to give you a running start if you're interested.

The VPN setup should be dictated by the provider you have chosen. However, using the 'Better search' option on the forum here may give you some useful tips too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!