What's new

Help please with security on a small network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ray bright

New Around Here
Hi

I have a hotel with two different internet feeds, one I use for my office and the other for public access via hot spots.
I have now been able to order fibre with a fast feed and so want to only use the one feed for both jobs.
I want to know the best way of isolating my computers from the other public side.

Can any one help.

Thanks

Easiest way is to use a router or smart switch that supports VLANs.
Go to the Router Finder, scroll down to the LAN section and check the VLAN filter.

The business side of your ISP can provide and can maintain a router supporting either dual ethernet NICs, or one NIC with VLANs.
The latter is more complex than the former.

Hi

I have a hotel with two different internet feeds, one I use for my office and the other for public access via hot spots.
I have now been able to order fibre with a fast feed and so want to only use the one feed for both jobs.
I want to know the best way of isolating my computers from the other public side.

Can any one help.

Thanks

One issue you will have is your guest network overrunning your business network on a shared line. The only way to stop that, is for your ISP to segment your line into two VLANs (stated in earlier post) and do traffic shaping to dedicate bandwidths for each VLAN. The issue with that is configuration on your side will be a bit more complex. As far as your question goes regarding isolation, if you do not believe (atleast initially) that your guest network will consume a ton of bandwidth, then simply put up a firewall on your guest network with your business network behind it. Treat the guest network like the 'Internet' since it is 100% untrusted, just route out to the 'net using the same router as the guest. Easy peasy.

Wouldn't one way be to use two routers:

First router connected to the internet and hosting the guest network (and using QoS to manage bandwidth). Since I guess the hotspots are separate access points this router does not need WiFi

Second router put into the DMZ of the first router and serving the office network.

I know the VLAN solutions probably are a better solution, but I think the two router solution is easier to set up.

As I posted, I would use a firewall not a router. But yes, essentially you have the idea I was trying to present.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!