What's new

Help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xraptorx

New Around Here
i am trying to connect 2 wired networks ( downstairs media room to upstairs office ). In the office I have my links yes wrt 1900 acs wifi router which is connected to my modem. Downstairs I am using a net gear r6300 router configured as access point.

So far, streaming a blue ray via plex is full of stutters and pauses. If I carry the iPhone from upstairs to down, I lose the network connection. The general connection between the upstairs router and downstairs access point seems very bad.

What can I do? Do I need to setup a bridge, an extender or an access point? Do I need a different wifi bridge downstairs? What can be done to an able streaming hi def videos from my Nas across all devices into the house both on wifi and wired?

Upstairs is connected to downstairs via wifi. Each device in the upstairs and downstairs is then connected via cable to the AP (AP if upstairs) or Router ( if downstairs).

House is built with solid brick walls on inside and out so wireless signals are not so strong far from the wifi device. Also same for iPhones and iPads. They show a signal at about 50% just after 30 feet away.

I think what I am trying to do is connect 2 wired networks together over wifi. Via a wireless bridge. And also enable wifi devices to connect to the bridge's signal.

Unfortunately the signals of the upstairs AP which was converted from a router appears to be a poor bridge. ( it was a net gear R6300).

I think what I am trying to do is connect 2 wired networks together over wifi. Via a wireless bridge. And also enable wifi devices to connect to the bridge's signal.

Unfortunately the signals of the upstairs AP which was converted from a router appears to be a poor bridge. ( it was a net gear R6300).

The best and most reliable solution is to connect the two routers with an Ethernet cable.

The next best alternative is to use MOCA (requires that you have coaxial cable in each of the rooms where the routers are ) or powerline devices to use your home's wiring as Ethernet cables.

If none of those options work then try the bridge, but give up on the idea of using the signal between the two routers for Wifi connections.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!