What's new

HELP - USB disks no longer working!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knubbze

Occasional Visitor
I power cycled my AC68P running merlin 380.58 earlier, and upon reboot, discovered that the two drives connected to it (one 2TB 2.5 external HDD and one 16GB flash drive, both USB 3.0) were no longer being found.

The web GUI says "No Device" for either of the ports, and neither of them are listed when I run 'mount' through SSH. Also, the LEDs on the front of the router don't light up when either of the drives are connected to the ports. Also, the LEDs on the drives themselves aren't lighting up, which usually happens when connected to a host device.

I've connect both drives to my laptop and they are both working fine, which points to the problem being with the router.

I've tried doing a factory reset through the web GUI, but that didn't solve the problem.

Here's my syslog from a fresh boot: http://pastebin.com/GvnKzKKD

Try doing a complete power cycle to reset the internal controller:

1) Turn off the router
2) Unplug the router's power cord
3) Turn it on for 5 seconds, to drain any residual charge
4) Turn it off again, plug it back in, then turn it back on.

Just tried that; unfortunately, no change. Any other suggestions? I also just upgraded to 380.60 beta 2 to see if that wiuld fix it, but again, no good.

I had some similar problems before, then I switched from ntfs to ext4 and I got it back to work. However there is something wrong, at least with health scanner. When I click on rescan I can see progress bar running very fast and there is no output of health stats in web "console". Yesterday I wiped out nvram with no effect. I'm using 380.59. Log just shows:

Jun 29 21:46:23 disk_monitor: Scan manually...
Jun 29 21:46:23 disk monitor: start...
Jun 29 21:46:23 disk monitor: done
Jun 29 21:46:33 disk monitor: be idle

Apart from it many thanks for DLNA: Rebuild entire database at start option - finally I don't have to use optware to achieve this and it works like a charm.

I have an external USB 3.0 hard drive that was working in my Asus AC68U but stopped recently. It's got a 4tb drive formatted ext3 but it always worked and suddenly didn't, it wasn't being detected at all. On a whim I plugged it into my USB 2 port of my Asus and it was suddenly it was detected and working fine. I'm curious what would happen if you plug your device into the USB2 port of your router?